Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Is this "non jewish" music?

mugsisme

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 6:30 am
I do not allow my kids to listen to non jewish music. They think that if the person singing it is Jewish, or the words are in Hebrew, it is Jewish music, and it is OK. I explained how Elliot Yamin is not frum, and neither are his songs. My other dd googled the translation of some of the Hebrew songs she was listening to, and saw I right on that count.

Now my DD wants to listen to this guy, Gad Elbaz. She said he is frum and his words are about frum things. Yet the rabbis in EY banned his concerts.
Wikipedia says this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gad_Elbaz

So, is he considered non jewish music or Jewish music?

Clarissa

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 6:48 am
Not to nitpick, but I don't think that all music that isn't Jewish is "non jewish." Isn't some music secular without being specifically associated with non-Jews? So maybe you should have three categories of music. Non-frum doesn't mean non-Jewish.

As far as what's been banned, how does anyone keep up? Don't the reasons for the bans count as much as the fact that they were banned? For instance, if someone's concert was banned because it was mixed, does that mean the music is inappropriate for your children?

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

brooklyn

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 6:57 am
So his concerts were banned, if you like the music and the lyrics are clean what is the problem? Hate to say it but the whole banning thing is the chareidi circles sometimes is a bit extreme.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 7:01 am
What about frum singers who sing to non jewish tunes? I always wondered about that.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 7:15 am
mugsisme wrote:
Yet the rabbis in EY banned his concerts.
Wikipedia says this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gad_Elbaz

So, is he considered non jewish music or Jewish music?

They banned the MBD and Miami Boys Choir concerts too. You wanna follow those kind of rabbis - ban Gad Elbaz.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 7:25 am
Banning isn't nec. b/c of the music. But mugs, plenty of secular Israeli songs may be Jewish but not waht we want our kids to hear.

"Elef Nishikot" anyone?

imokay

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 8:28 am
I think perhaps u need a dif. system of deciding what music is kosher or not. u can have "non jewish" music be more heatfelt and inspiring then some of the "jewish" stuff out there. and then how do u define non jewish? is it the composer, the singer, the melody, the rhythm, etc? it gets complicated....

OldYoung

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 8:28 am
Some of Gad Elbaz's songs have nice lyrics but are changed from non-jewish songs.

mugsisme

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:01 am
I have more of an issue of the lyrics. That is what I consider non jewish. Some may disagree, but I don't have a problem with classical music, although technically, it isn't Jewish.

I know that some people do object to Country Yossi, Shlock Rock, etc, because their songs are based on non-Jewish music. (Is that a better way to phrase it?)

How do you decide if a person is kosher for your kids to listen to? I guess that is what I was asking.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:40 am
I would decide by the lyrics.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:48 am
A cousin of mine was working with him, to bring him to America on a tour. It seems like he used to be more "non-frum" in his style of music, but recently became more frum and is catering to a more frum crowd. Like he says "Ani Yodeah Zeh Kasheh Lachzor Betshuva" , so give him a chance and see if you like what you see...

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 11:50 am
gad elbaz is one of my favorute singers.
they may have banned him because of his tunes, they are very rocky.
I dont find any of his songs offensive, but then again, I only have his latest cds, so I dont know what his earlier work sounds like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics