Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pessach Mayonaise or How to eat Tuna on Pessach
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 11:07 am
redhot wrote:
What about 'vinishmartem es nafshoseichem"???

its estimated that 600 people die from severe salmonella poisoning each year. Those most as risk are young children and elderly. There is no way of knowing if an egg (or raw chicken, beef..) has been contaminated with salmonella! If one eats that then they can get really sick with diahrea etc.

Why would anyone take that risk?? Its crazy!!!!
the stats are from the cdc website

I once got food poisining from homemade icecream. it was a pretty horrible experience. I will not use raw eggs either.

You could make tuna cakes - add eggs, spices, matza meal if you use it, chopped onion, mix, and fry.

grin

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 1:06 pm
I've been making my mayo at home year round for over 20 years with fresh eggs and have never had a problem.
Of course, don't save it for more than a week!

Last edited by grin on Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 1:29 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Quote:
I simply avoid tuna and anything else not made well during pesach (like pesach ketchup ) -
I can't even get good ketchup now. They do have heinz here, but it cost an arm and a leg, it's not worth it.

Where can u even get Heinz here? I had to bring from Uruguay and last time from Brazil!

OP, my MIL makes homemade mayo all the time. It is thinner then store-bought but I remember reading in one of my cookbooks how to make it thicker. I'll have to go check it up though bc I can't remember.

poemmom

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 8:40 am
Y not use just ex.virg. olive oil and seasonings (chopped celery, etc) instead of mayo in the fish? I don't do raw eggs or cottonseed oil eather. I saw safflower oil for sale and I bought some for cooking-- I wish they would use it in the prepared products instead of deadly hydrogenated cottonseed oil!

ss321

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 8:46 am
mayo for tuna
dont keep in fridge for more than 1 wk

6 eggs
6 c oil
1 tbsp salt (or more to taste)
1 tbsp lemon juice (or more to taste - I usually end up putting in 3)
basically, you crack the 6 eggs, put them into the blender, start it on a LOWER setting (if there is such a thing, if not doesnt really matter I discovered). SLOWLY pour in about 4 cups of the oil, you will see, after 2 cups or so itll start turning white-ish and creamy. After 4 cups I usually turn off the blender and touch it to "gauge" how much more ill need. It should feel whipped, and should "stand" (like the same idea as whipping egg whites). If it would still pour and is soupy, needs alot more oil. Then pour in the oil till it gets whipped. I usually use exactly 6 cups. Then add 1 tbsp salt, and lemon juice to taste, thats it. It takes about 3 minutes from start to finish.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:40 pm
There are pasteurized eggs if one absolutely needs for a recipe.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 1:57 pm
One for Israel - Osem ketchup that we eat year round tastes just as good on Pesach (and same price). Mayo with vegetable oil this year, I hope it's decent

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 2:48 pm
I make a very good tuna salad using Greek yogurt instead of mayo. It's from my days of WW when there was no "diet" Mayo.

I add lots of interesting flavors so it's not as if I miss the taste of the mayo since I couldn't taste it anyway and the Greek yogurt acts as a moistener/binder for the tuna.

I make it with finely diced celery and chopped scallions - these ingredients are critical to the result IMO.

I also use some good mustard (NOT yellow Deli mustard :-)) and a tiny bit of ketchup. I add some sweet pickle relish. You can always just chop a pickle or not use at all. Depending on mood and what I have, I have also used a few capers. For spices, I use salt, pepper, granulated garlic and sometimes a little bit of dried tarragon. I don't miss the mayo.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 3:11 pm
My absolute favourite way of eating tuna any time is in olive oil with celery, capers, peppers and black olives. Of course you can decide what you want in yours. During the year, I also use black beans. Quinoa would be nice too. Fresh herbs of your choice!

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 4:24 pm
I use pasteurised eggs to make homemade mayo, it is a real Pesach treat in our home.

But would happily make tuna with some oil, olives, onion and finely chopped veg if no mayo.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 7:53 pm
Starhavah wrote:
Wow, then you do not eat (shut your ears if you are shomer gebroks) matzo pizza. We bought a toster over just for Passover and my daughter and DH love matzo pizza. Take a sheet of matzo spread it with ketshup, place a piece of cheese over the top and sprinkle with "pizza spice". It is an easy passover meal or snack. And the kids love it (yes, I meant to describe DH as a kid in regard to Pessach eating habits).

I have in past years given up tuna for Passover, but I really like Tuna, so it is hard and I have to work durning Chol HaMoed so I need brown bag items.

Star Havah

Off topic, but I don't eat gebrokts, and I DO eat matzah pizza
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics