Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
This might be a dumb question...

cindy324

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 9:46 pm
...I know you can't eat matzo after Rosh Chodesh until the first seder night, but can you use matzo meal?? Can I make matzo balls for Friday night, or matza in any shape or form is a no-no?

Thanks! embarrassed

cheerios

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:13 pm
That's not a dumb question, it's actually a very good one! I never thought that using matzoh meal before Pesach might be a problem. I'd be curious to hear the answer too.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 11:24 pm
I think the answer is yes. u cant eat pesach matzo but u can eat chometz matza according to dh. its just to make u excited, I dont think the matzo meal falls into that category

Hannah!

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:16 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:33 am
cheerios wrote:
That's not a dumb question, it's actually a very good one! I never thought that using matzoh meal before Pesach might be a problem. I'd be curious to hear the answer too.
All I can say is that we had a question regarding a new Eruv, and the Rav said that first, before we make a new Eruv for Shabbos HaGadol, the old one must be "nullified" or destroyed, so there is no question about making another brocho on the new one.

He said not to throw it out, that it would be bal taschchis, but rather to crumble it, and make some kind of food - kneidlach, kugel, whatever. (should I mention that the old Eruv - from the Shabbos haGadol of the previous year - is always shmurah mataza, a fact that the Rav knew. )

hila

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 3:09 am
It is a problem on Erev Pesach. As far aas I learned you cannot eat any Matsa products on Erev Pesach.

That is why feeding everyone all day is SUCH a pain.
Lots of potatoes and eggs and Shehakol stuff.

(and we eat gebrocht on Pesach)

stem

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:38 am
We don't eat any matza products from rosh chodesh till pesach, including matza meal.

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:40 pm
Minhag Chabad is 30 days before, I.e. from Shushan Purim.

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:54 pm
And not only Chabad, that is our minhag as well and that of many groups.

cindy324

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 1:13 pm
Quote:
It is a problem on Erev Pesach. As far aas I learned you cannot eat any Matsa products on Erev Pesach.

Ahh...so even if I were able to use matza meal, as in matza balls next friday night ( 6 Nisan), I wouldn't be able to have it friday night -13 Nisan??

Thanks for all your input, keep 'em coming, although I guess I should consult my LOR Very Happy

sarahd

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:10 pm
Better make your matza balls this week, cindy. That's what I plan to do.

cindy324

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:24 pm
Quote:
Better make your matza balls this week, cindy. That's what I plan to do.

Ech...It's not that we can't live without 'em LOL , it's just that I have 6 adults and 5 kids for all the night meals, and it'll take long enough to fry enough egg lokshen for the two sedarim, now I'll have to make enough for all 3 nights. Any suggestions for something else to put into soup? We don't like those store bought soup nuts/croutons, IMO they're awful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics