Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toys for 2.5 year olds

msym

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 11:49 pm
I dont know if this topic has been posted before but here goes:
My son is 2 1/2 and I would like to get him some new toys because he seems so boredwith his old ones. im curious what toys you use for your similar aged child and what you recommend Idea .thanx!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 11:54 pm
unfortunately the only toy my 2 1/2 year old likes is his dvd player!!!

he also likes to fingerpaint, color with markers, 'cut up' the fake fruit that is put together with velcro, read books, and play with playmobil or mitzvah kinder menchies.

it's very challenging to keep him busy. He's IYh starting playgroup tomorrow. ahhhh!

grin

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 1:22 am
my kids were always big on Lego & blocks - the versatile stuff, and all sorts of containers - the old and trusted.
a trick I learned over the years - hide half his toys.
Then when he gets bored, take out the "new" toys from hiding and hide the ones he's bored with.
(for now, just get him anything, as long as it's new.)

Frumom

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 11:02 am
cars and trucks... more cars and trucks... really any vehicle- he can play with them for hours

playdoh

mega blocks

paint

puzzles- wooden are his favorite

stickers

coloring books (with pics of cars and trucks of course)

I'm thinking about getting him some new type of lego or building toy.

mom13

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 11:53 am
its a great time to start with clicks! my daughter (2 and 3mo) can be busy with it for hours! and it really grows with them so its a great investment.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 1:25 pm
how 'bout some toys for a 2 1/2 yr old with a 1 1/2 yr old copying everything? what's safe for both those ages?

mom13

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 2:22 pm
legos is great. how about pegs. a 1.5 yr old can also do that. my kids loved it at that age.

rnidich

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 7:09 pm
If you kids are physical, you can do a kiddie basketball hoop inside with soft balls

I got my son these "soft and still" blocks from Constructive Playthings, a great website for teachers and creative mothers. These blocks are made uot of strong foam, are very light and stick together with water. Great for bath and regular play.

Puppets. Great for language and imaginative play.

Puzzles. Simple shapes and few pieces. Choose ones that have topic that your child is interested in.

Books. and lots of them. Tana Hoban , Margaret Miller and Audrey Wood are all great kids authors.

Mnay libraries have a toy lending program with a price that isn't horrible. You might want to see what they like to play wth there, as a way to try things out before you buy them.

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:25 pm
riding car

doll stroller (yes even for a boy)

school bus, fire truck, ambulance, police car . . .

a wagon to pull around the house

toddler scissors and lots of scrap paper

markers, pens, pencils . . .

tub toys: stacking cups, washing cups

trains and train tracks

Alef Bais

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:42 pm
When my son was 2 1/2, I got him a Step2 play kitchen. He was so excited over it because he loved to play with the old toy kitchen at his grandparents'. This toy was the BIGGEST incentive for him to be toilet trained because we put it together slowly (he was earning it little by little). Now he is 3 1/2 and my baby is 1 and they both love to play with it. The one year old loves to stand there and putter around with play food in the pretend sink.

My son was also very into tools at that age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics