Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Strange responsibitlies you have at work..
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:20 pm
Over the years I have had some things I've had to do (not necessarily in my job description- but nobody else does it!) and I was wondering if anyone had things to add!

For example I constantly have to take out the garbage, wash cups/mugs (hate that Exploding anger) keep water, TP supply topped up along with the other regular office supplies. And constantly run around doing errands like the Post Office, getting lunch/snacks for my boss.... I don't mind that too much, its just when he asks me 3x on a Friday when the stores are horrible and it stinks from the butcher outside.. and I'm going up and down 2 flights of stairs.. its getting tiring and annoying. I'm like, get it yourself! sometimes. I know I was hired as an assistant but still.

Last but not least! Finding a replacement for myself Twisted Evil

anon because some people here know me and probably my boss.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:22 pm
Someone at my company died and I was asked to go through his files to remove all evidence of extramarital infidelities, before his wife came in to collect his things.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:23 pm
when I was working, yes I had lots of horrible 'chores' too. it does get annoying.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
Someone at my company died and I was asked to go through his files to remove all evidence of extramarital infidelities, before his wife came in to collect his things.

shock Exclamation

grin

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:25 pm
wow, am I glad I work at a frum co.! nobody would expect any of that from me!

shopaholic

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:41 pm
Not weird - but annoying. I'll come in in the am & from the day before someone has left me some papers asking me to fax them. Hello? The fax machine is on my desk. Walk another foot from where you dropped off the papers & fax them yourself!

grin

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:54 pm
irksome - that I have a lot of - like people assuming that since you have more time than them to fax stuff, etc - I've been busy disillusioning them of this notion for the past year, and they're finally getting the msg!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 1:08 pm
OP here.

grin, it IS a frum company.

grin

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 1:11 pm
oh - well, it doesn't sound like very ahavas yisroel-dik, the true brand of frumkeit.
I am blessed to have a very pleasant atmosphere on the whole at work.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 1:39 pm
Posting anon because im not here to insult and I dont want to be bashed, but um, OP, youre called an "assistant." usually an assistant is different than an office manager, secretary or a receptionist. usually being an assistant means doing random odd and end annoying things like that - picking up your boss's dry cleaning, bringing him his coffee, etc. Ever seen the movie "the devil wears prada"? sorry, but the things you describe dont sound so unusual for an ASSISTANT. if you were to tell me you were an office manager, id say, gosh that is annoying. but what youre doing seems to be what assistants normally do.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 1:42 pm
grin wrote:
oh - well, it doesn't sound like very ahavas yisroel-dik, the true brand of frumkeit.

K im the same poster who just posted, but I couldnt figure out how to quote your post before, now I just did. just out of curiosity, what part of what the OP said doenst sound like ahavas yisroel on her boss's part. What? since hes frum and shes frum, hes not entitled to have an assistant? or he should only hire a non jewish girl as an assistant? I dont get it.

grin

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:10 pm
no, you're right - if she's his assistant. I thought she's a secretary or such; then it's demeaning and not so accepted.
I'm so lucky that at my job, these titles have nothing to do with who fetches the milk.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
I know I was hired as an assistant but still.

Grin- she said shes an assistant! I agree if she were a secretary it would be like "well hello thats not in my job description..." but what she is doing sounds prettty much like what an assistant should be doing...

grin

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:15 pm
yes, you're right, amother #?. sorry, OP - but that's your job.

mimivan

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 4:44 pm
I work at home, but all the workers are on chat...my unofficial "Job" is to break the ice when things get too serious or stressed (I appointed myself to this position...) Tongue Out

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:49 pm
the ex wife moved out and had her mail forwarded - but the boss's mail as well as the company mail got forwarded too! I had to fight with the post office!
He once had company staying in his apartment while he was away, but they stayed longer than he expected, and the ppl who he sublet the apt to showed up, let themselves in, and found the friends asleep in bed!! I had to go in and make nice!!!

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 10:45 pm
I was a secretary at a jewish company, and had to do many weird things.

I had to order my boss his foot fungal cream, his hot tub, and many other things.

I had to stock the kitchen with food, ( ok, maybe I did that on my part, I was always hungry, lol)

many times, when I couldnt find my boss, and he didnt answer the intercom, and someone told me he was in his bathroom, I would have to page him in his bathroom and let him know who was on the phone, and take a message while I heard a toilet flush and all.... shock

I has to place evryones orders for lunch, and ask everyone what they wanted. then let everyone know when thier food was there. I put an end to this right away, I was hired as a secretary, and was not meant as a personal assistant to everyone.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 10:54 pm
I once had to ship a stool sample for my boss.

I had to meet with a soy farmer once and he was out in the field, so I talked to him as we rode around on his combine.

I once had to attend an elementary school dance, and I don't work in education. I was the oldest kid there, being in my late 20's at the time. Nobody asked me to dance.

Ruchel

amother wrote:

and you did it? women need to help each others

amother

I worked for an organization and had to makeup excuses as to why people didnt get there recipts. I also got to make up excuses for the phone co. and other bill collecters I have wild and fast imagination so I got this job of lying!!! glad to say I dont work there anymore
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics