Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
String around her toe.

queenyemk

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 12:46 am
Today I had the shock of my life. No joke, the following is serious.

I was undressing my 7 week old, and when I took of her sock I found what I thought was a weird blister thing on her middle toe. On closer examination I found that it was actually her toe swelling from a hair being tied around her toe and cutting off circulation. We scrapped out the hair B"H and it's starting to get back to normal. It was litterally under skin. It was extremely tight. Her toe was bright red, almost purple.

I researched this on the internet. It's quite common for this to happen. To both toes and fingers. They get many cases in the ER. Some do lead to amputation unfortunately, may we never know of such things. Crying

Please be careful when dressing your babies. Please do the following:

- Turn all socks inside out and check that no hairs or fluff are caught inside.
- It may seem small but they have tiny toes and fingers!!! Take everything out.
- Do the same for full onsies or anything else that covers the feet.
- Check at least twice a day that nothing has gotten inside, e.g. when changing diapers. It can fall a head/beard and get in there easily
- when dressing play with her toes and just clean out inbetween, (take a little nibble, their not going to stay that cute and small)
- do the same for fingers, especially when they just played with hair. make sure nothing stays tangled on her hand.

I am now feeling a bit calmer knowing that I have hopefully helped another mother know about this. Spread the word. I've never come across this before, even in a baby book.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 12:55 am
I've heard of this happening. B"H you found it when you did!! Was she really crying a lot? I've heard from some people that their baby couldn't be calmed, and when they did a full body check, found a hair or thread around a finger or toe.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:18 am
wow, I'm glad shes ok!!

that happened to me once, I woke up and found my toe turning purple! I was much younger then.

thanks for posting.. !

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 9:55 am
I'll never forget that one of my teachers taught us that lesson...that if your baby is crying and crying for no apparent reason, check for anything tied around her toes..many times that is the problem. Valuable lesson IMHO! Amother in case a/o else here had that teacher..

momo2boys

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 10:41 am
My sil had that with her baby, on yom tov while at my moms house, she had to literally "cut" off the hair from under her skin, her toe was bleeding a drop, but beats anything more serious.

Pizza

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:20 am
This is actually called a 'hair tourniquet'

FYI: This is especially an issue 3-4 mos postpartum, when lots of moms hair starts falling out. I usually get a nice short haircut around that time anyhow, less to clean out of the shower drain.

louche

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 11:48 am
I once had such sharp pain in my toe that I was sure I'd stepped on a razor blade or had a staple in my shoe. Took off the shoe to find my toe had poked thru a hole in my stocking and was being strangled.

I believe that at one time, children with extra digits (not as uncommon a condition as you might think) were "normalized" by tying a string around the base of the offending digit and left that way till the digit died and fell off. It is to be sincerely hoped that this is not done any more, as the pain must be excruciating and the risk of gangrene considerable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics