Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How much do you buy for each size?

EsaEinai

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:49 am
When my daughter was born my mother and mother in law bought us tons of 0-3 month clothing. now my dd is getting too big for her 0-3 mo stuff and I have to start buying 3-6mo, but im not sure how much I actually need. im curious how many onesies, pjs, shorts, etc others buy their babies when they go up in size. what do you recommend? also, what are your favorite affordable places to shop for baby clothes? thanks in advance!

smiley:)

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:57 am
I think it really depends how your daughter grows. My boys were out of their newborn clothing in under 3 wks, out of 0-3 months surely by the time they were 2 months. My sister on the other hand - her babies wear newborn clothing until they are 3 months old. I guess you have to see how fast she's growing up until now to know how to decide.
You surely need at least 2 pjs (if one is in the wash). Oh yes, it also depends how often you do the wash. If you do the wash often, a few pairs of onesies/shorts should be enough, though it also depends how much she spits up. With younger kids I'd make an allowance for some extras.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:59 am
We bought almost no 0-3 month sizes for #1 and I was so glad because out of the few that we did have, he wore some once, and some not at all.

What age will your daughter be and at what season?

How often do you do laundry?
If you do laundry every week, let's say:

14 undershirts (snap bottom) start with about 5 stretchies (light cotton if this is for summer already) and 5 short sleeve rompers. 3 t-shirts and 3 pairs of shorts. Maybe a couple of dresses.

Don't forget sun hats!

Then you will see what you need more of as you start using the clothes. (Bonus- by then the summer stuff will go down in price.)
But don't invest a lot in 3-6 months either. Unless she is petite and grows slowly, she is likely to go up to 6-9 months before summer's end.

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:06 am
It also depends on the season. I have a tonne of 3-6mo onesies, because DS#1 was 3-6 in the summer, and a lot of times that was all I bothered putting on him.

My kids are usually true-to-size, or even a bit small, so when I buy clothes I know I'm going to get a lot of use out of them.

I also try to buy things that can be layered, even if they're not so heavy, because that way I can use them even if they're not quite the right season (summer PJs under a fall weight outfit is warm enough for inside in the winter, for example).

EsaEinai

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 2:44 am
GAMZu wrote:

14 undershirts (snap bottom) start with about 5 stretchies (light cotton if this is for summer already) and 5 short sleeve rompers. 3 t-shirts and 3 pairs of shorts. Maybe a couple of dresses.

pardon my naivete, but whats a romper?

dd just turned 3 months so im looking for warm-weather 3-6mo clothing. im leaving the country so its easier for me to stock up on baby clothes, hence the need for some sort of a list. thanks for all of the suggestions, ill go check off what I have and what I need.

can anyone recommend any stores to shop at?

hmm.... a few more baby clothing questions...

what do you put your baby to sleep in in the spring/summer?

how do you feel about babies wearing sleeveless shirts and creepers? (im not sure what a creeper is, but from what I read on the carter's label it seemed like its basically a onesie-- is it meant to be worn alone or is it just a fancy name for a onesie?)

so many questions, I know!

catonmylap

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 3:20 am
Quote:
pardon my naivete, but whats a romper?

Like a onesie, but longer so it's a one piece with shorts (sort of)

Quote:
dd just turned 3 months so im looking for warm-weather 3-6mo clothing. im leaving the country so its easier for me to stock up on baby clothes, hence the need for some sort of a list. thanks for all of the suggestions, ill go check off what I have and what I need.

Don't get too much warm stuff, the weather will turn soon.

Quote:
can anyone recommend any stores to shop at?

Where? In person or online?

I would look for sales at Childrens Place and Old Navy. Old Navy is up to 50%, I would try to wait for the next markdowns. You can try crazy8 online. I just got my first gymboree stuff and I'm impressed with it. You need to do the sales with the money back certificates to make out okay because it's expensive. (I returned a gift and got lots of stuff on sale instead).

I did amazing online at Disney on their winter clearance. They are getting lower again. You can get some nice lightweight sleepers (like I got) for around $6. There are also some cute dresses on clearance, and you can find coordinated tops and bottoms to go together too. http://disneyshopping.go.com/w.....e%7C0
Use the codes on their website (for $5 shipping and 20% off). They change it up all the time, so you can watch and see if it goes lower if you have time. I got 60% off when I bought last.

Quote:
what do you put your baby to sleep in in the spring/summer?

I bought lightweight long sleeved pajamas for the spring/summer. If the air conditioning is on, it is cold and now it is still cold at night. When it's really hot(and you don't have ac on), you can go with just a diaper or a onesie.

Quote:
how do you feel about babies wearing sleeveless shirts and creepers? (im not sure what a creeper is, but from what I read on the carter's label it seemed like its basically a onesie-- is it meant to be worn alone or is it just a fancy name for a onesie?)

I don't think it is a tzius problem. It's good for around the house, but I don't take them out that way because I worry about sunburn. I usually put t-shirts under the creepers. I also struggle with shorts/short sleeves in terms of sunburn vs being hot. I try to find the right balance...based on how much he will be in the sun..

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:20 am
For my kids unless its summer time, wear onsies and stretchies. I hate fussing with socks because they always get lost and my toddlers always think its funny to pull themoff the baby. Also its less laundry.

EsaEinai

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 3:11 pm
wow, thanks for the great advice! ill check out gymboree and the other recommendations and ill look into more stretchies. thanks Smile

tovarena

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 3:20 pm
Kid's Surplus has some pretty good deals as well.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 5:46 pm
walmart, target n childrens place

sbs

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 7:03 pm
for onesies, if you don't want to have to keep buying you can try one size bigger, so it will last for longer.
no one will see it anyway if it's under clothing.
I get most of my daughters clothes in childrens place, they're cheap, but not the highest quality.
my feeling is they grow out of them and they need to change every season, and that's about how long they last.
then, I'm not putting away from child to child, but it's cheap enough to get new each time.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 7:09 pm
it depends on the baby and how much they slobber - the season - if you do laundry often or not ...

you can buy things on clearance racks at any store you like - much cheaper and same good quality ...

kid-r-us is good for that ... baby gap always has a clearance rack so does old navy, gymboree ... there are plenty of sales you just gotta look ...

babies do grow rather quick ...

chayitty

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 7:10 pm
my kids went straight to 3-6 mnths stuff...had very few 0-3...I found that those first 2-3 mnths they where being changed much more often...at night I would do a cotton or terry or even velour strechie if u have aircondtioning... for a lil. baby she will still need long sleeves till about june. in the summer these cute lil one peices r the best. or lil t-shirt outfits. I wouldnt do dresses, I dont like how they look on babys. baby girl shopping sounds like so much fun!!!...I have 2 boys Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics