Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Can’t go a day without music (Sefira Vent)
1  2  Next

MahPitom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 5:44 pm
As Pesach approaches each year, I start agonizing over the Sefira with no music. In recent years, I started cheating and feel awful about it. I feel awful without it too. Where is the justice?

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 5:52 pm
I have the same problem. And it's 7 whole weeks! I try hard not to cheat, but after Lag B'omer, I'm unfortunately more lax about it.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 5:54 pm
what if you listen to music you don't like? LOL
personally, I hardly ever listen to music.

MahPitom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 5:55 pm
yo'ma wrote:
music you don't like?

That’s a paradox!

Squash

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 5:57 pm
MahPitom wrote:
. Where is the justice?

I know you're talking tongue in cheek, but really. I don't think this is appropriate.

MahPitom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:01 pm
Seriously squash, I have a very hard time connecting to some kollel guys who fought and died like hundreds of years ago. In all seriousness, I don’t mind not eating meat (which is hard for me) but music will alter my moods for 7 whole weeks.

ny_ima

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:01 pm
I'm not a rav, but I heard of psak that its worse to be depressed,
and if u fall into that category, u can ask for heter to listen to music.

I cant give more info but we're talking frum, true rav.

so....... how depressing is not hearing music for you?!

MahPitom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:02 pm
On a scale of 1 to 10, 85

Squash

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:11 pm
mah pitom, what's with the no meat part? I never heard of that.

3Qts

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:40 pm
Today with so many different accepella music plus all the radio stations that play accepella music I really dont miss the "regular" music

Yakira

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:47 pm
Goodness. After a year of aveilus, 6 weeks (or in my case 4) is a joke.

Blossom

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 6:52 pm
I was going to say what NY-ima said.
Ask a rav if it's really truly mamesh causing you to be depressed.

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 7:10 pm
3Qts wrote:
Today with so many different accepella music plus all the radio stations that play accepella music I really dont miss the "regular" music

Oh, now I remember that one of the music sites was playing a cappela songs only. That's what saved me last year.

bandcm

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 7:26 pm
My husband's family listens to recorded music during the sefira; according to their Rov it's only live music that's prohibited during sefira. During the 3 weeks, there is no music at all.
Ma Pitom, did you used to be something else? (Another screen name, I mean).

mama-star

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 7:54 pm
if it ends up being an emotional/mental isue for you, maybe you can ask your rav for a heter.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 9:26 pm
ask the rov what kind of music is okay if you have a problem or need it for chisnuch - if cassettes are okay, or acapella, or what.

su7kids

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 9:42 pm
Maya wrote:
3Qts wrote:

Oh, now I remember that one of the music sites was playing a cappela songs only. That's what saved me last year.

I think its olamradio.com

and shmais.com click on "radio". I believe both have a choice.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 10:50 pm
yes, olamradio and shmaisradio play acapella during sefirah. also, if youre really depressed w/o music you can get a heter to listen as a yochid as background music.

freidasima

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 8:24 am
I was taught that the inyan of music on sfira and the three weeks was as follows:

1) no public music of any kind during both, no concerts etc.
2) music listened to in yechidus during sfira is ok. Depends on your minhag whether you keep from rosh chodesh until shoshes yimei hagbolo or from the end of pesach until lag baomer. There are some who only allow a capella during that time.
3) the three weeks - until rosh chodesh there are those who allow listening to a capella in yechidus. after rosh chodesh no music of any kind is allowed.
4) a professional musician is permitted to practice and play during sfira and during the three weeks up until rosh chodesh. After rosh chodesh he should take a vacation from playing until after the 10th of av in the afternoon.

Personally I like to be makpid about this, and I listen only to a capella...but I know that there is a difference of opinion in yechidus.

During my year of aveilus for my father, one of the hardest things was not listening to music for the whole year...once, when I had to be in someone's car taking a lift, I was in the back and the driver had on music, and it wasn't someone I could ask to turn it off...and I almost cried when I realized that I had missed music so much...but it was almost 11 months when it happened and so I figured that I had done what I could and couldn't be blamed for listening to that music in that woman's car that day...

Zus

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 9:01 am
I also suffer a lot from no music. And the radio station I lsiten to during the sefira and the 3 weeks only has so much acapella music, it repeats itself too much! Maybe I should start searching for my own music.
I need to give birth during the 3 weeks this year, and I'm planning to asking my rav for a heter to listen to music during the birth, even if it's during the 9 days.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics