Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Thinking of writing a Cookbook
Previous  1  2  3  Next

cindy324

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:54 pm
How about a nice desserts only book? I have yet to see a kosher dessert cookbook. I'd love one with pics of the finished product, separate sections for pareve and milchig desserts. Ihave some non heimishe dessert books, but I always have to substitute pareve stuff for the dairy, not knowing how it's going to come out.

tzipp

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 7:16 pm
Sounds like fun!
I agree that there should be pictures. And, how about a specialty cookbook- focusing on one type of food- dessert, salads etc.- but maybe even better- a cookbook all about supper ideas. It seems like a lot of people would find this useful. It's also very important for the recipes to be healthy- so many cookbooks just pour in the oil, sugar, mayo- so I stay away from those recipes most of the time. I don't mind buying a few new ingredients- but I don't enjoy when I want to cook something right away and I realize I don't have everything for the recipe- so how about a section with a shopping list of basic ingredients somewhere?

chen

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 9:35 pm
Make sure they are REAL recipes, not simply preparation notes. That is to say: exact quantities ( 1 tsp. sugar, not "some sugar"; 1 16-oz. can cranberry sauce, not 1 can of cranberry sauce); vessel sizes ("pour into 8-inch square baking pan, or 3 x 5 x 9 inch loaf pan", not "pour into baking pan"); temperatures, cooking times and guides for doneness ("bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 1 hour or until golden brown", not "bake until done").

I second the "number of servings" but add to that how much is a "serving". e.g for a kugel, "makes 8 2-inch-square servings" or for a soup 'makes 2 quarts or about 6 10-oz. servings'.

Make sure every recipe is tested by someone other than you or the person who submitted it.

Very important, find out where the recipe is from and make sure no recipe in fact is off the back of the cranberry bag or cornflakes box. Back-of-the-box recipes are copyrighted.

In case you can't tell, I have some experience working with cookbook publishers. I have on occasion recognized back-of-the-box recipes in fundraising cookbooks and alerted the editors--though I don't know whether or not they pulled the recipes.

hatzlocho!

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 9:48 pm
Sometimes I need to prepare ahead of time and freeze, and I would choose a recipe that freezes well. I haven't seen one cookbook that offers this information - how well the recipe freezes.

Tovah

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 10:03 pm
picture
side dishes to go with
instructions like bake for half an hr covered only cause never know to cover or not.
diff recipees
not to big

Crayon210

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 12:46 am
1. Pictures
2. Substitutions that work properly

happyone

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 12:49 am
I'm waiting for a small computerized cookbook that you keep under a cabinet, you type in any title, and presto, it should give you a clear, easy recipe. ( an accompanying robot to clean up afterwards would be nice too!)

Smile

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 2:38 am
happyone, imamother recipe collection! Very Happy

willow

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 8:20 am
I love pictures and I love when there is a healthy alternative to the cooking ingredients.

SMG

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 8:28 am
our shul printed a very successful cookbook about 7 years ago. They had to reprint it 2 more times and finally decided to do another one (still in the works) It was so popular because the recipes were good and easy, something you could do in the average house, with the average kitchen and busy scheduele, and buy at a regular grocery. Many ppl did include servings yielded and if it freezes well.
I like the idea of adding psukim or giving some kind of yiddish taam'ed theme to it. Perhaps based on the chodesh, not just the yomim tovim, or somehow include (like I think someone mentioned) antecdotes from your own family or others to go with a lot of the recipes.

Frumom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 2:57 pm
shayna82 wrote:
quick inexpensive recipes that dont involve all these unheard of ingredients that youll buy and never use again!

I totally agree

Frumom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 2:58 pm
Also, maybe a section for easy dinner ideas?

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 6:18 pm
cindy324 wrote:
How about a nice desserts only book? I have yet to see a kosher dessert cookbook.

now you can see one:

Quote:
If desserts have a bible, this is it! Imagine the enticing scent of fresh-baked cookies, cakes, and pastries wafting from your very own kitchen, to the delight of your family and friends. It's not just in your imagination any more, thanks to this sensational cookbook. The author, a baker par excellence, imparts her tried-and-true recipes for a variety of baked goods that will enhance your Shabbos, Yom tov, and even everyday menus. From traditional favorites to elegant, eye-catching treats, this book is filled to the brim with scrumptious delights. With clear, easy-to-follow instructions, this volume is ideal ? for both kitchen novice and veteran. Discover the Delights of the Jewish Kitchen, and rediscover the delight of putting smiles on the faces of family, friends, and guests.

http://www.feldheim.com/cgi-bi.....y=114

jewgal84

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 6:29 pm
Everyone here has such practical ideas Very Happy !

I definately enjoy seeing pics (real ones of course), easy directions and definately ingrediants you'll re-use for diff recipes (I hate it when they tell you some kinda name and you use it maybe once or twice a yr!!).

I really enjoy the new cookbook- Kosher design for Kids- ( quick and easy recipes, step by step directions and real pictures) If you can make something like that- you're in luck, save one for me!!!

Hatzlacha!

red sea

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 6:54 pm
I'd like to see a cookbook that has easy recipe's, plenty menu ideas, and Not A Whole Stick Of Margarine in Every Recipe.

Tila

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 12:17 pm
I ALSO want to write one. I have recipes that I invented, but hey, it takes bucks and knowledge.

carrot

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 12:36 pm
Tila wrote:
I ALSO want to write one. I have recipes that I invented, but hey, it takes bucks and knowledge.

But then hopefully you make bucks? And it seems like you have the knowledge?

If you WANT to do something, and the money is a secondary thing, I think you have a pretty good chance of being successful.

Did you ever seriously consider doing it?

Tila

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 12:41 pm
yup! I have considered it!

baby's mom

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:06 am
Tila wrote:

and TIME Wink
If there's a will there's a way, Hashem will help you once you start.

carrot

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 10:41 am
tila and baby's mom, maybe you two should get together? Very Happy
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen