Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Easiest Shabbos EVER
1  2  Next

RedVines

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 8:18 am
What would it be?

Fri. night meal? Deli meat etc.

Shabbos?

Just curious, for some reason I feel so incredibly stressed and I hate feeling this way. so DH being the DH he is said...go easy...HOW!?!?!?

any suggestions? embarrassed Confused

Tovah

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:01 am
no salads, just fish soup and chicken, and cholent
or
buying shabbos at the bakery. my favorite

carrot

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:27 am
how about

gefilte fish baked plain, one simple fresh salad, maybe a dip or two bought at the store, skip the soup, chicken and rice cooked together with duck sauce

RedVines

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:41 am
so far....

challah, bought dip, big salad, fish

soup, noodles (kids need to eat)

deli meats, roasted potatoes

bought dessert...yay!

I guess I will make cholent, it just never seems to come out right.

elisecohen

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:51 am
Make baked beans instead of cholent? Either just open up a couple of cans of Heinz or Bush's vegetarian baked beans and pour right into the crock pot (add a little extra water I imagine), or make your own with a couple of cans of Great Northern beans and a little molasses, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, and ketchup added. If you want throw in a little stew meat or leftover pot roast. My kids will eat this up even though they won't touch cholent, and I'll eat the leftovers during the week even though no one here will eat leftover cholent.

At one of our butcher's here they sell cans of cholent--my dd always laughs when she sees it because it makes her think of The Marvelous Middos Machine, when Dizzy carries a suitcase packed with cholent, kishke and kugel along on their trip to Africa (on the kvisatz haderech machine, of course). My kids just love the idea of a suitcase full of cholent and kishke.

chavamom

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:52 am
I have a recipe for something called 'shabbat in a pot' - rice with veggies in a pot with chicken on top cooked together. You make that, maybe have cantaloup as a first course and buy a dessert, you are set.

Tefila

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 11:52 am
Now I've never done this so slightly unsure Confused but if I was sooo stressed out and wanted an easy shabbos I would cook everything in pots like potatoes, eggs, chicken, fish, and forget the oven exists this week Exclamation throw vegtables in soup peeled, uncut I mean it's gonna fall apart anyways in the soup yup this I've been guilty of Twisted Evil just cut onions and celery though. minus salads and dessert to which I would buy.
Actually even though I'm not the worlds greatest cook I love to have an excuse to cook my best 4 when the Queen arrives Tongue Out

shanie5

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 2:08 pm
easiest shabbos? invite yourself to a nearby friends for one or both meals- thats what I did for shabbos lunch this week.(and were 10 people!!) LOL LOL LOL

willow

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 1:58 am
shanie5 wrote:
easiest shabbos? invite yourself to a nearby friends for one or both meals- thats what I did for shabbos lunch this week.(and were 10 people!!) LOL LOL LOL

shanie5, whats the recipe for friends? Very Happy Sounds really easy!!! LOL LOL

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 8:41 am
RECIPE FOR FRIENDS

Into a human heart, pour just a little love. Sprinkle with kindly deeds, then add a little helpfulness, tenderness too, sympathy also and when you have mixed these well, just let the mixture stand. This will make just one friend; if you want two, you see, all you have to do is just double the recipe.

LOL LOL LOL

lucky

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 9:43 am
Shanie, I absolutely LOVE your recipe. LOL LOL LOL

willow

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 11:56 am
Shanie5 I love your recipe, I think I will try to make that very soon!!! Very Happy

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 1:56 pm
Since we just moved and the oven hasn't been kashered, we decided to buy shabbos this past week. Btw, if you live in B'klyn for $15 you can get the basics - fish, (some places include soup), chicken, cole slaw, kugel and cholent w/kishka. I also took a soup from the freezer (why make it every week??) and made my own cholent (it's not hard - in the crock pot). I also made a simple salad for each meal.
Now I feel like doing it for the last days, too.....Well, my oven still isn't kashered, so I only have the stovetop and crockpot...so maybe I will!

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 9:11 pm
I got the recipe from a cd titled "one million of the worlds best recipes"
its got real and fun recipes on it Very Happy Very Happy

Tila

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 9:50 am
I KNOW I posted this recipe here, I just scanned ALL six pages and for the life of me cannot find it!@! Here I go
Chicken, rice and sweet poatoes all in one roaster:

Place 1 cup of uncooked rice at the bottom of a large roasting pan. Place sliced onin rings ontop to cover. Place skinned chicken pieces on top of that. And thick slices of sweet potatoes to cover chicken. In a bowl that can hold more than 4 cups. Add pkg of onion soup mix, apricot jam, or apple jelly, about 1/2 cup of your fave salad dressing and about 2 1/2 cups of chicken soup. Mix together. Pour over all. Cover and bake for 80 to 90 minutes at 350.

willow

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 10:45 am
can I use any of these recipes if I am having guests? I am just to tired to make anything fancy embarrassed

withhumor

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 7:59 am
I’m a freezer queen. On quite days , a green Tuesday, I will cook up a big batch up matzo balls, and store them like 6-8 per zip lock baggie. I also cook up the noodles for the soup and store in baggies. Chicken soup, of course I freeze as well. I treated myself to a 16 qt. pot and there’s nothing like having 3 months of soup in the freezer. I also freeze kishka for the cholent, & get this: I don’t make them into rolls, I squeeze them into plastic cups. It’s a perfect size and when cooking the cholent, just pop it into the pot! The best advice I ever got.
Thursday morning, I open the freezer and take out my “shabbos”. Then, I quickly see what I need to cook, usually just the fish! What fun.

HelloEverybody

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 10:24 am
Dear mommyof3, I know that the Shabbos you refer to has come and gone, but I will tell you what I would do.

When H says "take it easy" or "it's not so hard" you say "ok, so you can do it" and carry through on this. I have done it only a few times and H has learned not to say things like that. (or forgets but re-learns quickly)

It happens to be H does enjoy cooking so doesn't mind stuff like this.

Ok, so if not worried about $$ or convenience, buy everything out.

If a little worried, but not overly concerned
1) buy challah
2) take loaf, put in pan in oven at 350 and bake until you remember about it, skip water, carrots, onions, etc.
3) Take 1/2 cup rice, put in pan, cover with raw chicken, pour duck sauce or bbq sauce on chicken, add water to cover rice. Put in oven 1-3/4 hours before shabbos at about 350
4) If you want soup, peel whatever veggies are around, add some chicken, chicken soup mix, and garlic salt. Boil, simmer until Shabbo shows up.
5) Make a chulent for Shabbos day
6) Buy a bag of salad
7) Buy some chummus or technica to shmear on challah (optional)
8) Buy dessert from bakery or popsicles or something super easy like that.

If want to cut out one of the steps, do only fish or soup, not both.

What I do often is prepare everything Thursday night, put in fridge raw and stick in ovenon Friday so still tastes fresh.

RedVines

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 11:32 am
thanks! good ideas!

red sea

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 11:38 am
Quote:
I also freeze kishka for the cholent, & get this: I don’t make them into rolls, I squeeze them into plastic cups

good idea
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus