Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kashering oven with self clean- questions

Basya

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 12:59 pm
A few questions about my self cleaning oven-

1) I heard that when u self clean it you should not be home- the fumes are unhealthy. ( I also have a 4 week old baby) Is this true? I have also heard not to leave the oven alone during a self clean cycle- what do I do?

2) My oven manual says to take out oven racks during a self clean cycle. But I need to kasher them too! And what about the stove top grates- I was wondering if I could put them in there too- can I, or not?

3) how long of a cycle makes it kashered?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:04 pm
Basya wrote:
A few questions about my self cleaning oven-

1) I heard that when u self clean it you should not be home- the fumes are unhealthy. ( I also have a 4 week old baby) Is this true? I have also heard not to leave the oven alone during a self clean cycle- what do I do?

2) My oven manual says to take out oven racks during a self clean cycle. But I need to kasher them too! And what about the stove top grates- I was wondering if I could put them in there too- can I, or not?

3) how long of a cycle makes it kashered?

1 - You can set it up to run in the middle of the night.

2 - Mymanual also says that, that they might not fit afterwards. I ordered new; I think they were $15 each.

3 - Ask your rov. I have heard 1 or 2 cycles.

Basya

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:08 pm
I live in a small apartment- so if I do it during the night- the fumes will still reach my bedroom.

I don't even know if I could get new grates in time for yom tov!

Barbara

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:17 pm
I've never heard of a problem with fumes, but my oven is new, so who knows. I'd suggest using your exhaust hood and opening a window.

From Star-K

In a self-cleaning oven, clean face of oven and oven door in the area outside of gasket seal to remove residue. Ensure gasket itself is clean on area outside oven seal (note: gasket is sensitive to abrasion). Then the self-cleaning cycle will clean and kasher the oven simultaneously. Caution: There is a potential risk of fire during the self-cleaning process. The oven should not be left unattended while in the self-cleaning mode.

Some ovens come with a convection feature. This feature allows for more uniform heat distribution by using a fan to circulate the heat. If the convection oven has the self-cleaning feature, it will be sufficient to kasher the fan as well. If there is no self-cleaning feature, the entire oven, including the fan - while it is circulating, must be sprayed with a caustic cleaner, e.g. Easy Off, and cleaned well. The oven should then be kashered by turning it on to its highest setting for forty minutes.

The Cooktop
On a conventional gas range the cast iron or metal grates upon which the pots on the range sit, may be inserted into the oven after they have been thoroughly cleaned. The grates can then be kashered simultaneously with the oven. (It is advisable to check with the manufacturer as to whether the grates would be able to withstand a self-clean cycle.) Another method to kasher the grates is to cover the grates completely with a flat double layer of thick aluminum foil and turn the burner on the highest setting for ten minutes. The aluminum foil may then be removed. Please note: Use extreme caution when using this method. It may not be advisable to turn on all burners at once. Additionally, if the plastic controls (knobs) are on top of the cooktop, there is a possibility that the controls will melt from the heat of the flames. Therefore, the knobs should be removed before kashering. The rest of the range (not glass top) should be cleaned and covered with a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil which remains there during Pesach. The drip pans should be thoroughly cleaned and need not be kashered. The burners do not need kashering or covering, just cleaning.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:18 pm
During or before self cleaning, open a window. Can you move your oven near a window, or bring a fan into the kitchen?

Do you mean racks or grates? For inside the oven or outside ?

Basya

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:25 pm
Thanks for that info- very helpful!!

1 question- "cover the grates completely with a flat double layer of thick aluminum foil and turn the burner on the highest setting for ten minutes. " does this mean wrap each grate- or just cut 2 sheets of foil and lay them across the stove?

Basya

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:29 pm
I dont have a window in my kitchen - I have a fan and a window in my living room but I dont feel safe to leave that window open over night. I need racks and grates to be kashered. I think the racks can stay in the oven but I dont think the grates can.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:43 pm
Actually, it's the opposte. I think the grates are more heavy duty than the rack, but don't quote me. We bought separate for Pesach when we bought our apt a year and change ago.

We kashered what we had already in our last 3 apts. They, however, were old old old stoves and I think things were more well made then.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:50 pm
the newer enamel coated grates may NOT be self-cleaned within the oven ...

I have been cleaning the inner racks for years with no problem ...

personally I self-clean on a short cycle ... clean up the inside - and then run it on a full self-clean cycle of 4 hours

and I do have separate top grates that I use only for pesach ...

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 1:54 pm
DO NOT leave the house with the oven on self-cleanm it is a serious fire safety issue. someone should be there, especially if you've never done this before. on the same note, don't run it while you sleep. if you're not happy to have the baby there, get someone to take her for a few hours.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 2:04 pm
I dont think the fumes are that bad. If you stay in a different room with the door closed, its fine. Do not leave the house, mine starting smoking in middle (it stopped after a few minutes) but you have to be on top of it.

You CAN leave the racks inside, but it'll get discolored, it'll turn blueish/purplish.

cindy324

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 6:06 pm
OK, I just did my oven yesterday. It was disgustingly filthy, and I was also afraid the fumes would be bad, but it really wasn't. I opened the kitchen windows and I stayed in the living room most of the time.

It is recommended that you run the self clean cycle for 3 hrs. for kashering purposes, but I ran it for 4, because it was so gross.

The oven racks - they advise against leaving them in during the self clean cycle because they will lose some of their sheen and they will not slide as easily in and out. To me, it's a minor issue, they still come out fine.

The grates - greenfire is 100% correct. I have a new model KitchenAid range, and you cannot put it in to self clean, it'll damage the coating, which we ended up damaging anyway , when I told DH to take it to have it kashered. BIG MISTAKE, the enamel looks all shriveled up on one side, AND he forgot to remove the rubber "feet" from the corners, and they burnt off.

Oh, and DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE WHILE SELF CLEANING THE OVEN!!!

penina

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 11:48 pm
Basya, there are no "fumes" like chemical fumes in the self-cleaning process as far as I know that get emitted during the process. The only thing you might experience is a burning sort of smell due to the high heat. It shouldn't be bad for you or your baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics