Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
A gentile asked where to buy a sefer
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 15 2008, 9:47 am
In France the "hardcore" Catholics make the mass in Latin (a minority). Those who learn Hebrew are very Zionistic, a bit like the Xtians in America that love Israel. They visit Jerusalem and all. They put on pro Israeli posters and they make pro Israel talks in the universities, and invite all the Jewish students and have kosher food brought. Happened in my university, also happened in dh's.

By the way now that I think of it, when my grandmother went to learn Hebrew, before making aliya, the lessons were given by a munk! It was in the 60's (I think), in Belgium.

Starhavah

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 11:52 pm
When I was getting my MA in Jewish Studies the text used in the Biblical Hebrew class (basically dikduk) could only be ordered from an Xian bookstore. This was at the begining of the internet so shopping on line wasn't safe yet. I was really embarassed by the mailings they sent me for years after that (even though I never bought anything else from them). I asked my prof. why none of the Jewish bookstores carried the book and he just shugged. Then he said that Xian scholars love learning things in the original language and you can find the best Biblical and Talmudic Hebrew learning tools from the xians.

Star Havah

mumoo

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 2:38 am
A mekarev in the suburbs here told me about a man who came into the storefront shul, and bold-facedly asked if he could take classes and learn enough there to "convince Jews to become x-tians."

Could he really have been that stupid??

In the kitchen

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 11:16 am
it's so sad thinking that there are so many lost Jewish souls who are all to easily swayed by missionaries...

I would also be wary of a gentile approaching me for info about a seforim shop...as mentioned before they can get these materials from their own xtian shops....many of the missionaries learnt Hebrew and translate materials often...along with generating their own propaganda in Hebrew and even Yiddish and distibuting it to Jewish neighborhoods in their efforts!

Hashem should help our fellow Jews to not be swayed by these missionaries' efforts.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics