Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
"Different" way to say Mah Nishtana?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 2:30 pm
So...it's a family tradition that everyone does the mah nishtana in an "interesting" way. For example, in the past people have said it in Turkish, to the tune of Piano Man, standing on their heads, backwards, etc. Any ideas? I'd even take a different language besides Turkish, Yiddish, Hebrew, English, gibbrish, pig latin, and Finnish (those have already been done). Creative ideas are definitely welcome - you mothers are pretty creative Smile

(Amother because I don't know how many other families do this, and I'd like my screenname to stay anonymous...)

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
So...it's a family tradition that everyone does the mah nishtana in an "interesting" way. For example, in the past people have said it in Turkish, to the tune of Piano Man, standing on their heads, backwards, etc. Any ideas? I'd even take a different language besides Turkish, Yiddish, Hebrew, English, gibbrish, pig latin, and Finnish (those have already been done). Creative ideas are definitely welcome - you mothers are pretty creative Smile

(Amother because I don't know how many other families do this, and I'd like my screenname to stay anonymous...)

Sign language?
as a play?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 2:54 pm
Sign language is a cute idea - that's never been done before, I don't think. How would I be able to look up the words, though?

justanothermother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 2:55 pm
-Charades.
-Write placards, one word per sign, throw them down as you say each word a la Bob Dylan
-interpretive dance
-get a ventriloquist's dummy
-burp it

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:19 pm
Ladino
Judeo-Italian
some non famous dialect of Yiddish like Alsatian
French

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:21 pm
Other languages are great...but I can't use them unless you give me the translations Smile

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:23 pm
if you're interested by some, tell me! I'm too lazy to type it all lol

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:26 pm
Sure, do you know Ladino well enough to translate all that? If so, I'm impressed!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:33 pm
I WISH

No, I just use google rather well, and have enough bases to see if a translation in Ladino looks off or ok Wink

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:45 pm
I have it written down in french and ladino - I just have to find the book - will bli neder post later tonight when kids are not around!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:47 pm
Thank you! And if anyone else has any creative ideas, please feel free to chime in!

tovasmom

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:47 pm
I'm sure that if you google, it, you can probably find it in Ladino. If you go to a website called whyisthisnight.com, you will find a website for a new book called something like 300 ways to say the mah nishtana. Nochum Segal interviewed the authors a couple of weeks ago about the book. They have conventional and nonconventional ideas. If this is an every year thing for you, it may pay for you to buy this book. If you are in NY, I think the authors said it was available at Eichlers. Enjoy!

rosehill

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:53 pm
Somebody asked my dh if he had a klingon tgranslation. He didn't, but I'm sure there's one out there.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 3:58 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
I have it written down in french and ladino - I just have to find the book - will bli neder post later tonight when kids are not around!

please post! I want to see the differences between yours and the one I found online. I should also tell my grandma to write it and send it to see the differences. Yours is Ladino from where?

in the mean time, in Alsatian Yiddish and French http://judaisme.sdv.fr/traditi.....s.htm
just replace sacrificateur by shochet, at least I heard it that way

here, in Ladino and in Judeo-Arabic from Tunisia http://www.modia.org/infos/etu......html

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 4:09 pm
My father makes all of us say the mah nishtana each out loud. I don't like to, so one year I asked 1 question...How is this night diff than all other nights? On all other nights everyone asks the same question over again and tonight we're still doing, so how is it diff? Very Happy

hannah95

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 12:02 pm
This is too late but hadgadya is not manichtana Smile it's a song that we sing a the end of the seder, see the translation in the page:)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 2:08 pm
I posted the wrong stuff again? Pessach is not good for my brain...

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 2:43 pm
here's ds 's version,

מה נשתנה הזקן והזקינה
שעלו אל הבמה
עם פיגמה לבנה
הזקן עשה קידוש
הזקינה אנתה אמן
ונולד לה בן שמן
איך קראו לבן?
יוסי השמן

LOL LOL Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

he was so funny he kept singing it through out the mah nioshtana.. we couldnb't get him to sing it right...

if you understand hebrew.. I think he got it from class... he's 5...

Starhavah

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 7:55 pm
Is this an approximate translation? My modern Hebrew is not that good.

What is the different about this old man and old woman? They went up to the bimah with white pjs. The old man makes kiddush the old woman answers amen and gives birth to a fat boy. How do they name the son? ןYossi the fat.

Star Havah

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 7:11 am
Starhavah wrote:
Is this an approximate translation? My modern Hebrew is not that good.

What is the different about this old man and old woman? They went up to the bimah with white pjs. The old man makes kiddush the old woman answers amen and gives birth to a fat boy. How do they name the son? ןYossi the fat.

Star Havah

ditto.. it's just kids rymes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics