Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Binah Crumb Cake Recipe PROBLEM

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 12:37 pm
Has anyone else made it?

The Crumb Topping is getting brown and cake is still liquid! I just covered it and I am letting it continue bake. I'm a pretty experienced baker, so I wonder about this recipe- Hmmmmmmmmm Confused

cindy324

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 12:51 pm
Hmm....planning to make it later on, thanks for the tip.

Maybe lower the heat a bit for the rest of the time.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 12:54 pm
I don't know anything about this recipe in particular, but my mother made a crumb cake the other day. That recipe called for partially baking the cake batter, then adding the crumb topping and baking the rest of the way. Doesn't help the OP, but maybe someone else can try it with this recipe and see how it turns out.

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 1:08 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Hmm....planning to make it later on, thanks for the tip.

Maybe lower the heat a bit for the rest of the time.
cindy324 wrote:
Quote:
I'm also planning on trying a crumb cake recipe from Passover by design, I believe it's also "egg-separation" free, let me know if you want the recipe and I'll type it up.

To Cindy324:
PPPPPPPPPPlease Let me know how it comes out- I got it from the Binah and the crumbs got brown BUT the cake is liquid after the suggested baking time- I hope it's not MY new convection oven thats the problem or is there a misprint in the Binah? The cake part of the recipe is: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, tsp BP, TBSP vanilla, 1 cup oil, 4 eggs, 1 cup potato starch.

Does the Pass. By Design cookbook say the same? Or, If anyone else has the Passover by Design Cookbook can they tell me if the above are the correct amounts? TIA

cindy324

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 2:49 pm
Yeah, I made the recipe from the PBD, I believe it's the same recipe .

I also had a problem. The prob was that I probably should've waited more than 20 minutes before adding the crumb topping. The whole middle sunk in from the weight of it, and although the cake tastes pretty good on the edges, it seems it might be a bit underbaked in the middle where it sunk in Confused

Crumbs taste yummy though...I would use that topping for apple crisp!

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 11:38 pm
Is this the apple crumb cake?

cindy324

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 1:58 pm
No , it's plain crumb cake, mimi.

YummyMommy

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 7:18 pm
I made it, but didn't read directions and baked the cake until almost done... then added crumbs. It worked!!! But cake was still kind of wet in the middle.

Convection ovens - YUCK!!! Mine is the Magic Mill, now called something else, and I have a second one which is the Suzzanne Sommers one. Both of them don't get hot enough on bake. On Convection the top rods go on and burn the top.

My solution... use the second shelf only and put a pan with some water on the top shelf.

Is it only me, does everyone else 'know' how to work a convection oven so that you can actually use both racks?

Mevater

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:49 pm
I was curious to see if the recipe would bomb again so I tried it again on Chol Hamoed, and it did! Well, I'm going to think twice before attempting a Fishbein recipe. I used to think her recipes were foolproof. Confused
I think it was a Fishbein recipe, wasn't it?

Mevater

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 6:04 pm
YummyMommy wrote:
Is it only me, does everyone else 'know' how to work a convection oven so that you can actually use both racks?
When food on the top level gets to the desired brownness on top, I cover with a sheet of silver foil.

chavamom

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 6:10 pm
Huh. We made it chol hamoed and it was a big hit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics