Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Did anybody go to one of the many films playing?
1  2  Next

sunshine!

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 10:34 pm
I am looking for reviews on the films showing around town. I went to see At the Lakeside, and it was alright... Guess I have seen better... Anybody see anything really great?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 10:41 pm
I didn't go but my mother just called me on the way home from Light for Greytowers and she said it was amazing.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 10:44 pm
it's unbelievable that there are 7 different films thsi year! my mother went to al ight for greytowers. the director is a former hollywood director turned BT. I'll ask her tonight iyh how it was.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 10:47 pm
http://lukeford.net/blog/?p=2084 it sounds so professional.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:12 am
Went to see it. I really enjoyed it! It was very moving and professional. A bit too much singing for me, but nice nonetheless.

My only problem was that the ad said it was for 7 yrs+ but I think it would have been a bit too much for a child of that age. There was a girl sitting in front of me who looked about 9/10. She covered her eyes and turned away at certain points.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:41 am
my almost-9 year old niece went to it, and she liked it. she did fall asleep on the way home from exhaustion Very Happy

Cdlf

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:50 am
Are any of them out there appropriate for 7 year olds? I would love to send my younger daughter with my teenage daughter, if yes. Thanx in advance.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 6:13 am
No, I haven't been to the movies for... almost a year?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 9:37 am
Blessing In Disguise- it was great great great very proffesional and up to date actresses were amazing

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:16 am
films ?!?! what kind of films ... sounds like the movies - yet not ?!?!

sunshine!

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:17 am
It's all kosher Greenfire, they are all jewish themed and are played bby frum actresses..almost like watching a play but a bit more professional....

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:18 am
What the difference between the films and the slide shows? Does anyone here not go to the films but will go to the slide shows, or know of anyone who is like this?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:28 am
I saw a light for grey towers yesterday.
It was good, but I was expecting more after hearing such rave reviews.

also, it seems as if they didn't write their own script, because the school I went to did this as a production one year (about 6 years ago) and BOUGHT the script from someone and this script in the film was WORD FOR WORD the same. I was saying it along with them. So I found that disappointing.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 11:55 am
cassandra wrote:
What the difference between the films and the slide shows? Does anyone here not go to the films but will go to the slide shows, or know of anyone who is like this?

I imagine "anyone here" who is on the internet has no problem watching videos! lol

But yes, there are people who dont watch videos, period. So in those communities they showed these stories only in a slide show, or there was a choice.

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:02 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

I imagine "anyone here" who is on the internet has no problem watching videos! lol

It funny, because something that seems so obvious to you isn't obvious to someone like me. I can't understand the premise behind not watching videos, so to me there could be a distinction between videos and internet. (I imagined that those who do one would also do the other, but it wasn't an educated assumption, just a guess.)

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:20 pm
none of these are shown in williamsburg since you cannot show videos on willy, only slides. when it used to be slide shows, it used to be shown in willy. now you had 7 different productiosn all in boro park!

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:31 pm
Chicago brings one in every Chol Hamoed. Succos was a blessing in disguise. I really didnt think it was so worth it and this chol hamoed they brought destination unknown, a horribly made film with no point. There was no moral!

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 3:11 pm
there was a holocaust one here- it must've been filmed in europe, b/c it looked so real. It looked like an Israeli play b/c some of it was in Ivrit with subtitles. I didn't see a title though.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 8:31 pm
I never got to chol hamoed video productions. I did see Light for Greytowers a few months ago when it first came to Crown Heights. It was interesting although a tad over the top. Garbose was there and she talked about the script. I think maybe she had a connection to the play if it was in LA. They did this a few years ago at least. The filming wasn't recent, unless I'm not recalling well enough. I wasn't paying that much a ttention to what she was talking about.

Oh and mamabear can you put a disclaimer next time? That website has is somewhat pritzusdik.

Fox

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 1:26 pm
Am I the only one who finds the admission prices to these events too high? I realize that a significant percentage goes for tzedekkah, but $15-$20 per person has always seemed over-the-top to me for two hours of diversion.

It's not a Chol Hamoed activity in which the whole family can participate, and while these films are obviously more uplifting than many trips and entertainments, I just don't feel they're realistically within my budget -- especially right after all the expenses associated with Yom Tov.

On the other hand, I can definitely hear the argument that if people don't attend these kinds of productions, there will be no motivation for producers to continue backing such kosher films, and then there will be nothing . . .

So maybe it's just me! I was too exhausted from the zoo to even contemplate attending, anyway!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics