Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Hits and Misses
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:45 pm
flowerpower wrote:
The fudge brownie and apple crumb were very good-they both tasted chomezdig.
Do you still have your apple crumb recipe out? Can you share it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:55 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

regular and carp gefilte from fish store (do not buy A&B!)

what's wrong with a and b ?

ra_mom wrote:

ginger teriyaki sauce

did you make the ginger teriyaki sauce or buy it ?

ra_mom wrote:

duck sauce with meatloaf and sweet potatoes
basil turkey burgers
ginger teriyaki sauce with garlic marinated roast beef
creamy mashed potatoes
zucchini spaghetti salad

Can you post recipes for these mouth-watering sounding dishes ? Pretty please ? (It doesn't have to be today.)
We had pesach A&B a week and a half before Pesach. I love their fish, and only their fish, during the year. But the pesach version reminds me of pesach gefilte fish from my youth. It holds together well, but tastes crumbly. Makes me gag LOL

I will try to post the recipes soon iyH chocolate moose.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 2:54 pm
Everything we made ourselves was a hit.

Miss: KfP cornflakes with weird coloring and no flavor. The kids preferred matzah with cream cheese & charoset.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 7:02 pm
My kids liked the mayo I made that they want me to make it all year Tongue Out . We'll see... They also love the chocolate syrup that I made that I got from here. They like it better than hershey's syrup. They also want that for during the year. We still have plenty of hershey's syrup left, but also have a lot of baking chocolate. Either I'll make syrup of cake or both LOL . Also a pineapple kugel I found here, but substituted potato starch for flour. I have to make it again during the year because I only made a small one because the kfp canned pineapple was sooo expensive and only my dh, my dd, and I had some. Sh, don't tell me kids Smile ! One more hit. I loved the blondie cake. I have to find a chometz one to make.

No more making sponge type cakes for pesach for me. This is the third time we made pesach at home. The first time, we didn't kasher the oven, so no homemade cakes. The second time, none of the cakes came out good because our oven was starting to break. This is the third year and that's when I finally found out, no more sponge type of cakes for me. I forgot, don't make a mousse that belongs in the freezer if I don't have space in the freezer Banging head Rolling Eyes .

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 5:46 pm
yo'ma wrote:
My kids liked the mayo I made that they want me to make it all year Tongue Out . We'll see... They also love the chocolate syrup that I made that I got from here. They like it better than hershey's syrup. They also want that for during the year. We still have plenty of hershey's syrup left, but also have a lot of baking chocolate. Either I'll make syrup of cake or both LOL . Also a pineapple kugel I found here, but substituted potato starch for flour. I have to make it again during the year because I only made a small one because the kfp canned pineapple was sooo expensive and only my dh, my dd, and I had some. Sh, don't tell me kids Smile ! One more hit. I loved the blondie cake. I have to find a chometz one to make.

No more making sponge type cakes for pesach for me. This is the third time we made pesach at home. The first time, we didn't kasher the oven, so no homemade cakes. The second time, none of the cakes came out good because our oven was starting to break. This is the third year and that's when I finally found out, no more sponge type of cakes for me. I forgot, don't make a mousse that belongs in the freezer if I don't have space in the freezer Banging head Rolling Eyes .
Can you point out which pineapple kugel and blondie cake recipes you ised?

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 6:01 pm
Veggie crepes weren't touched. Apple crepes were gobbled down. Conclusion, my folks prefer cooked apples to cooked veggies.

Brownies and no flour cake were great (recipie: 6 egg whites beaten, then beat in a cup sugar, then fold in anywhere between 1/4 cup to 1 cup cocoa. bake at 350 for an hour. The 1/4 cup comes out chewey and soft meringue, the 1 cup comes out totally dense like thick fudge brownies, cut into small bars and eat sparingly...sweet!)

chocolate chip angel's food cake was great.
onion soup was terrific, especially when I burned it (only I could burn soup, right? doesn't the gemoro say that my dh can divorce me for that? But he loved the soup even more!)
Still have the veggie soup in the freezer, will eat it for shabbos maybe.
potato kugels were a hit
broccoli kugel (bodek) was not.
ceramic frying pan was a HIT! first time I got one. So good that right after pesach I bought a whole ceramic set of pots (1 milchig, 1 fleishig saucepan, 1 pareve frying pan, 1 milchig frying pan and 1 pareve frying pan) for chometz. Expensive, 30% off and worth every penny or shekel...

Sweet potato soup was a hit.
Meatloaf was a hit or so my mother said (she got the meatloaves)
blueberry (bodek) pudding cake was a hit
all cakes potato starch of course
same for blintzes

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 6:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can you point out which pineapple kugel and blondie cake recipes you ised?

I used one from here, but I don't remember which one. I'm sure there's not much of a difference and I didn't use any crust of any sort.
The blondies are from the thread, you can bake these 2 yummy cakes today. My computer is going a little beserk, so I'm having trouble posting a link or anything.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Apr 27 2011, 6:27 pm
freidasima wrote:
Veggie crepes weren't touched. Apple crepes were gobbled down. Conclusion, my folks prefer cooked apples to cooked veggies.

Brownies and no flour cake were great (recipie: 6 egg whites beaten, then beat in a cup sugar, then fold in anywhere between 1/4 cup to 1 cup cocoa. bake at 350 for an hour. The 1/4 cup comes out chewey and soft meringue, the 1 cup comes out totally dense like thick fudge brownies, cut into small bars and eat sparingly...sweet!)

chocolate chip angel's food cake was great.
onion soup was terrific, especially when I burned it (only I could burn soup, right? doesn't the gemoro say that my dh can divorce me for that? But he loved the soup even more!)
Still have the veggie soup in the freezer, will eat it for shabbos maybe.
potato kugels were a hit
broccoli kugel (bodek) was not.
ceramic frying pan was a HIT! first time I got one. So good that right after pesach I bought a whole ceramic set of pots (1 milchig, 1 fleishig saucepan, 1 pareve frying pan, 1 milchig frying pan and 1 pareve frying pan) for chometz. Expensive, 30% off and worth every penny or shekel...

Sweet potato soup was a hit.
Meatloaf was a hit or so my mother said (she got the meatloaves)
blueberry (bodek) pudding cake was a hit
all cakes potato starch of course
same for blintzes

with ceramic pans, keep temps low or the coating gets destroyed just like regular non stick. love them too though

MuppetLover

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 10:44 pm
I made a carrot ginger soup FANTASTIC!
Also we grilled everything anytime we could. So you know what that meant? NO COOKING FOR ME and LITTLE CLEANUP!!!!

DH grilled everything, INCLUDING pineapple YUMMY! all I had to do was make some marinades!

So B"h it was a stress free yom tov this year cooking was!

Also: my kids slept 3 hours each erev yom tov! so seder went great.

MISS: next year I need to bget more plastic wear...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 28 2011, 11:58 pm
ra_mom wrote:
flowerpower wrote:
The fudge brownie and apple crumb were very good-they both tasted chomezdig.
Do you still have your apple crumb recipe out? Can you share it?

I took it from here-the post from last year-there's a lot of talk in the post about it I think.....

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 7:16 pm
The Pesach coffee is terrible trrrible terrible, and I don't know how many times I keep buying it, that I don't remember that.

Tsimess was more work than necessary to serve with meatballs, boiled mashed potatoes woujld have been fine and on that note - a thick sweet and sour sauce was also overkill. a tomato sauce would have been dayeinu.

Dini20

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 9:20 pm
I made a dish called meat tzimmes plus. It had a roast (I used veal london broil), potatoes, sweet potatoes & potato kugel type balls. It came out great! Meat cigars & prime beef rolls from one of the magazines were a total miss.

raizy@b

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 9:26 pm
Dini20 were the meat cigars filled with shredded brisket? I saw a recipe like that which I was planning on making

cbsmommy

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 9:32 pm
Hits:
1) OOTBaubie's Unbelievable brownies. I made these for DD's birthday party and they FLEW out of the pan.
2) Sweet Potato Pie - I skipped the crust and halved the crunch (the price of chopped pecans is exhorbitant) but we devoured two pies.
3) OOTBaubie's Doughless Potato Knishes (the pan types). I've made 4 pans, and I just got a request to make them again for second days.
4) Broccoli Soup - Tamar Ansh recipe. Although slightly pricey to buy bodek, my kids really loved it. Anything that has them eating veggies is just fine with me.
5) Mushroom olive salad. I've made 2 batches so far. We make it year round.
6) OOTBaubie's Raspberry Chocolate Bars.
7) Bas Hinda Cake - interesting story with these (check my "misses" section
8) Yapchik. I made it for the seder. I used the recipe from Tamar Ansh's cookbook.
9) Pesach Zuchini/Vegetable Kugel - we were sick of potato kugel. I made these for erev chag in 3 pans; I froze 2 and we've been eating this for breakfast.
10) Vanilla Ice Cream with homemade Candied Walnuts. Smile

Misses:
1) Bas Hinda Cake - I've made that cake a number of times during the year and it's never flopped. Batch #1 flopped. I'm pretty sure it's the Pesach coffee and vanilla (I always add a bit for extra flavor even though it's not called for). The water in the vanilla caused the Pesachdik chocolate to seize. I was left with a gloppy, horrible mess instead of a lovely goey batter. Batch #2 (coffee and vanilla free) turned out lovely and was a hit.
2) Sponge cake. Parts of the outside was burnt. The inside was raw. And even that which was neither burnt (nor raw) was fairly tasteless.
3) Pineapple kugel. I got the recipe off imamother. It was an oily mess. (the kugel was literally swimming in oil)
4) Carrot Mousse from Mishpacha. I wanted to like this, everyone was talking about this, but it didn't taste sweet enough to me and the texture was wayyyy to heavy on the potato starch.
5)roasted beets = epic fail.

Dini20

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 9:41 pm
raizy@b wrote:
Dini20 were the meat cigars filled with shredded brisket? I saw a recipe like that which I was planning on making

No, it was with chopped meat mixed with mashed potatoes. The taste wasn't great & the consistency was weird - it says to use a blender to make the meat & potatoes smooth. It became gooey.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Mar 28 2013, 10:00 pm
Miss: Leah Schapira's Chocolate Crackel Sandwiches.
Not sure which was worse the ice cream or the cookies.
Way way way too much sugar .

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 11:58 am
[quote="cbsmommy"]
Misses:
1) Bas Hinda Cake - I've made that cake a number of times during the year and it's never flopped. Batch #1 flopped. I'm pretty sure it's the Pesach coffee and vanilla (I always add a bit for extra flavor even though it's not called for). The water in the vanilla caused the Pesachdik chocolate to seize. I was left with a gloppy, horrible mess instead of a lovely goey batter.

If you want vanilla flavor, use vanilla sugar instead of extract and it will be fine. In general, I don't use the Pesach vanilla extract since it is imitation vanilla and doesn't have such a good flavor; I always use vanilla sugar instead.

Glad you enjoyed so many of the recipes I've posted.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 12:47 pm
Hits: I made ootbubbys doughless knish in both pans and individual. (made just one big batch of the first recipe, did not try the second, don't see why two recieps are needed, it worked to make both types) came out wnderfullyand everyone enjoyed them. The individual ones are great for snacking if you have a pesach microwave. (ate a bunch of them while cooking for yom tov)

the recipe someone posted for a one pot chocolate cake. It had baking soda in. We don't use most of those ingredients on pesach but I made it for shabbos hagodol in a chametz oven using regular sugar etc and my kids loved it.

Sorbet recipe someone gave me. I think I reposted it here somewhere. Not everyone liked it but those who did LOVED it.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 12:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
The Pesach coffee is terrible trrrible terrible, and I don't know how many times I keep buying it, that I don't remember that.

You should put it on your list for next year Wink .

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 2:15 pm
yo'ma wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

You should put it on your list for next year Wink .

I know - I've done it twice already.

I make the Bas HInda torte without vanilla and it's fine. I think you could even skip the coffee. I might next year.
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics