Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Break-away challah

tzatza

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:32 am
Does anyone know how to make a break-away challah? Thanks.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:34 am
Yup - you do a regular challah recipe and get a round pan (you can use any but round looks the prettiest imo) then, you make balls of dough and just put them loosely in the pan all next to each other. Have them touch, but they don't have to be squished. Then, if you desire, you can put different toppings on each ball. Than everyone can have their own flavor. I would do sesame, minced onion, poppy, cinnamon-sugar, salt, etc.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 9:34 am
the few times I've made my version--and it may very well NOT be the 'correct' way--I just scrunch up little rolls very close to each other, then they bake together but pull apart.

(hope I'm not going to be embarrassed by others' responses Wink )

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 11:25 am
I used to do the balls - now I make small round challas (as for rh) and put them together. one in the middle and 6-7 around it. You can do another circle of challas if you want it really big. You can also do some wholewheat if you like. I don't put it in a pan because I like the shiny crust when you just do it on a flat sheet.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 11:27 am
if you want to google it, it's called Monkey Bread in the vernacular

abismommy

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:34 am
I make 12 balls (like the stones around yaakovs head?) - 9 around the outside and 3 in the center. the key to keep them nicely formed and not mushing together - with any type of challah, not just the breakaway - is to dip each ball of dough into a bit of flour before you begin to roll/shape it - it keeps the shape nicely that way. (a professional challah baker told me this)

tzatza

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 8:37 am
Thank you everyone for the reply. ANother question now: if I prepare the dough tonight, but will bake tomorrow night, how can I keep the dough: fridge or freezer? or is it not a good idea in general?
PS. I used to always do everything on the same evening, but will not be able to do it this time.

YALT

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 8:43 am
I normally mix the dough thurs. nite, put it in the fridge, and let it rise overnight.
Then I shape it Fri. morning.

abismommy

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 8:56 am
I also often refrigerate my dough overnight - and then take it out and let it rise for a little bit - until it's room temp or a little warmer; its easier to work woth.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 8:57 am
take about six or seven small pieces of dough ... roll in between hand to make a string - then tie in a knot ... place one in the middle and the rest in a circle around that one ... let them rise ... and viola !!!

another version ... take a loaf pan - take 5 pieces of challah dough - and simply form elongated pieces - then place them in the pan one after the other - I like to have the center one a little bigger - the next 2 a tad smaller - and the last 2 smaller than those ... as they rise in the pan it puffs over the top making it look professional - and also pulls apart ...

Ima'la

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 9:01 am
sorry for the irrelevant comment but I was so surprised! chocolate moose, I almost didn't recognize you in your new outfit (avatar)!

tzatza

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 9:05 am
abismommy wrote:
I also often refrigerate my dough overnight - and then take it out and let it rise for a little bit - until it's room temp or a little warmer; its easier to work woth.

So, you mix the dough, let it rise and then put it in the fridge? Take it out next moring, let it warm up/rise and then punch down?
Or do u just mix the dough and put straight into the fridge?

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 9:10 am
Ima'la wrote:
sorry for the irrelevant comment but I was so surprised! chocolate moose, I almost didn't recognize you in your new outfit (avatar)!

Ima'la nothing is irrelevant when you say it - I've missed ya ... Wink Mr. Green

and ditto to the cm avatar ...

YALT

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 9:22 am
tzatza wrote:
abismommy wrote:

So, you mix the dough, let it rise and then put it in the fridge? Take it out next moring, let it warm up/rise and then punch down?
Or do u just mix the dough and put straight into the fridge?

Mix dough, cover, refridgerate.
It'll do all the rising in the fridge.
Be careful! You don't want a mess in the fridge! I put the bowl of dough in a bag. Sometimes, if I open the fridge in middle of the night, and it's quite high, I'll punch it down then.
In the morning, I take it out, punch it down, let it sit on the table about ½ hr., and then shape.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:16 pm
greenfire wrote:
Ima'la wrote:

Ima'la nothing is irrelevant when you say it - I've missed ya ... Wink Mr. Green

Thanks! Nice to know I was missed! Lady

And for a touch of real relevance - I've had in the back of my mind for a while to try this kind of challah - maybe I'll make one this Shabbos - thanks for bringing it up! Though I'm wondering if DH will go for the "just break off a piece" thing - I'm picturing him trying to slice it with a knife!

abismommy

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:29 pm
tzatza, I do the same as YALT. my dough (6 lbs of flour) goes into my 12 qt pot and straight into the fridge after I knead it. in the AM I take it out, punch it down and let it rise on the counter (or in the oven on the lowest temp - mine is 170 degrees) for a little while - usually an hour or so. then braid as usual.
I also freeze dough a lot - I'll make 2 batches of dough and freeze one for the next week. I take it out in the morning and let it rise in a bag (traps the gasses and it rises better) or covered in saran wrap until it doubles. then braid as usual. sometimes I make dough, braid loaves, freeze them and then pull them out to bake when I need them. I freeze the pans in ziplocs and let them rise in the bags until they look right (usually 5-6 hours) egg them and bake as usual.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads