Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is Your Kitchen Kosher?
Previous  1  2  3

tport

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:23 pm
Quote:
The restaurant that my husband works at is OWNED by a [gentile]. Its amoazing that the OK even gives them hashgacha.
What's the difference if it's owned by a [gentile]? If it's fleishig then they need a mashgiach temidi, but if not they don't. I've gone with my father when he used to be a mashgiach and found that the people usually try to listen, although they don't quite chap.

Estee2

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:51 pm
Quote:
right after shkia the maid of the above mentioned lady came by, and gave this neighbor a piece of raw meat, in a ziploc, and said "mrs. a said you needed a piece of meat for your chulent , so she said I should put it in for you because its already shabbos" Now at least this neighbor wasn't sure but asked me if I know if she's allowed to because its already shabbos, she did not know that there was a problem at all with the [gentile] handling open raw meat unsupervised.

IN ADDITION: There is another BIG problem !
It is Assur, according to Shulchan Aruch for a [gentile] to cook food for you on
Shabbos !!! Apparently, it seems they are allowed to was your dishes
that you used and will need again on Shabbos using ('cooking')warrm/hot
water. But I thought I learned a [gentile] may NOT COOK food for Yidden on Shabbos !'shock'

chen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:53 pm
Motek wrote:

if you read books that describe life in Europe before the war, you'll read descriptions of gentile maids who helped in the kitchen.

who do you think made sure my father said his brochos? The meshoresteh would say all the words except "hashem elokeinu" one at a time and boychik would repeat afetr her.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
I know anyone if the hashgacha business can tell of horror stories, but short of only eating home, it boils down to if my rabbi trusts the rabbi giving the hashgacha.

Definitely food for thought. My Shver a"h only ate at home.

When my children want to go away for Shabbos to a ( chassidishe) friend, I face a dilemma. Short of calling up the mother of the friend, and asking about every single ingredient, and a list of other questions( does anyone do this? Confused ), I have no way of knowing what level their Kashrus is on. And I don't even care if it's a 'high' level. What exactly does that mean? Confused I'd need them to be following the same standards as we are.

I'm wondering whether anyone on this board does not allow their children to eat , or sleep over at close friends (from very frum homes) for Kashrus reasons. and how you keep your child from being disappointed. Remember, my children are school-age and teen, so it gets more complicated the older they get. ( sleeping over, summer camp, Shabbatons).

I'd really appreciate any helpful advice .

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:
she did not know that there was a problem at all with the [gentile] handling open raw meat unsupervised.

read a fantastic story about this halacha in the bold print in this article:

http://www.torah.org/learning/......html

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 6:39 pm
Motek, thanks for that link.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen