Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Does any one have info for Mishpacha mag?
1  2  Next

chavamom

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 8:24 pm
We don't get this in town and I'm wondering if anyone has the contact info to subscribe to it? I have bought it on trips to Chicago and would like to see if I can have it sent to the house. TY.

elisecohen

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 8:51 pm
Chava, didn't find US contact info but I did find: Mishpacha offices (02-652-0555) in Israel.

chavamom

Post Sat, Nov 05 2005, 10:54 pm
Hmm - I wonder if I could convince the Kollel bookstore here to carry it. I'm thinking maybe you can only buy it retail and not subscribe.

sarahd

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 7:48 am
You can certainly subscribe, but I'm warning you, it ain't cheap. the number to call for subscriptions is 718-686-9339.

CallieA

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 6:38 pm
I know that when I contacted Mishpacha about a subscription, it was more than $300 for one year - youch! shock

It would be great if us "out of towners" could get it more easily!

chavamom

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 8:22 pm
shock $300 ?!?!? I'm trying to remember what I paid for it on the newsstand. Anyone know? Does it come out to be that expensive?

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 8:27 pm
chavamom wrote:
shock $300 ?!?!? I'm trying to remember what I paid for it on the newsstand. Anyone know?

it says: Price: N.Y./N.J. $2.95 Out of N.Y./N.J. $3.50

chavamom

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 10:10 pm
Motek wrote:
chavamom wrote:
shock $300 ?!?!? I'm trying to remember what I paid for it on the newsstand. Anyone know?

it says: Price: N.Y./N.J. $2.95 Out of N.Y./N.J. $3.50

That's either a lot of postage or quite a mark-up for a subscription! I think I will speak to the kollel bookstore manager this week.

queen

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 2:18 am
out of NY/NJ subscription should "only" be about $150.

supermom

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 4:55 am
why so much money for a year Rolling Eyes it only comes out once a week and if it is about three dollars a week that makes it only twenty four dollars a year.

Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 5:26 am
I think that 52 issues will cost up to 182 dollars per year.....

sarahd

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 6:45 am
My question is why it's so expensive to begin with. 90% of the articles are translations from the Hebrew Mishpacha, so how much can it cost them already to produce the magazine? (That's also one of my peeves against the magazine - that the articles are almost exclusively written from an Israeli viewpoint, for an Israeli readership.)

supermom

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 11:20 am
embarrassed how embarressing my math is really that bad when I am not thinking okay so lets say it is 182 dollars so why is it still three hundred for the year?

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:09 pm
you would think that if you subscribe for a year, they would give it to you cheaper than the newstand price!

daisy

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:22 pm
I believe we paid $175 for an "out-of-town" subscription a few months ago. When we figured it out, it came to about the same price as the newsstand, but we preferred the convenience of a subscription.

In Sept, there was some deal that you could get it through the day school here and it seemed like it was significantly cheaper (maybe it wasn't a full year - only the school year? but it still seemed like a good deal) - maybe you can try asking your school to look into it.

RivkaS

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:29 pm
sarahd wrote:
My question is why it's so expensive to begin with. 90% of the articles are translations from the Hebrew Mishpacha, so how much can it cost them already to produce the magazine? (That's also one of my peeves against the magazine - that the articles are almost exclusively written from an Israeli viewpoint, for an Israeli readership.)

strange I think it is exactly the other way round.... especially the cooking-corner looks like lot's of american nonsens.

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 1:44 pm
Hmm - the few issues I've seen recently had a number of articles written from a Canadian perspective. Maybe they've been working on this or there is more than one English edition? I know the Yated used to have several English editions.

1stimer

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 11:47 am
sarahd, believe it or not sometimes it is MORE expensive to transalate an article than to write it from scratch.

RivkaS

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 11:57 am
1stimer wrote:
sarahd, believe it or not sometimes it is MORE expensive to transalate an article than to write it from scratch.

yep, well said - part of my job is translating... so I make a rough translation from German to English, than our British born secretary corrects it and than it goes to somebody who translates the "snobbish" British-English for our American customers... hours of work.... and pay!
Rivka

sarahd

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 3:53 pm
Well then, if you ask me they should spend the money on original articles. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics