Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Getting baby to sleep - reverse!

nyer1

Post Fri, Jan 25 2013, 12:04 pm
so, I taught my baby to self soothe to sleep, but some nights are better than others... meaning, some nights he will go to bed very easily and some nights he will cry for at least what feels like 10 minutes. the last 2 nights I nursedh im and he fell asleep. it was so peaceful and nice. so I guess I need advice... since I see that he drifts off so peacefully from nursing, should I just let him continue to do this? or will I regret it later?

tizunabi

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 9:01 am
you are the only one who can answer that question. getting him used to nursing to sleep will mean that he will probably always/mostly want to nurse to sleep. Are you home every night and will you be home every night? Will he take a bottle to sleep, do you want him to take a bottle to bed for a long time?
Remember that anything that seems difficult when your child is an infant will be 20 times harder to do when your child is a toddler/older.
FWIW I never gave my son to eat right before bed and we never had issues with taking bottles to bed or getting rid of them at a certain point. OTOH my SIL always nursed her daughter to bed and had trouble getting her to sleep when she wanted to stop with it, but eventually with enough time and patience that also stopped and now she goes to sleep OK as well.

tizunabi

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 9:03 am
also there are other methods of putting an infant to sleep that aren't the two that you mentioned (crying and nursing), there is a whole world in between, maybe have a look at other options as well.

smss

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 10:58 am
how old is your baby?

chani8

Post Sat, Jan 26 2013, 1:43 pm
If he sleeps thru the night, then it's not a problem for now.

Then again, when you decide to wean, what will he do to fall asleep?

I agree with smss, it comes down to, just how old is he?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics