Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Yodel Cake

cookielady

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:02 pm
4 eggs, seperated
5 T. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 T. cocoa
3 T. flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line a 12x18" jelly roll pan with parchment paper.

Beat egg whites at high speed. gradually adding the sugar until stiff. At a low speed add yolks, one at a time. add vanilla. Then flour and cocoa. Pour onto prepared pan. Bake 13 minutes. dont overbake.

sift confectioners sugar on a dish towel . Invert cake on dish towel, carefullly peeling off parchment paper. roll cake up in towel from the long end. Cool.

Filling: 1 richs whip
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 whipped topping (8ox) beat until stiff gradually adding 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Unroll cooled cake and spread with filling (this is enough filling for 2 cake rolls) Roll up again (without dish towel, jelly roll style) freeze.

In a double boiler, melt 1 10oz bag of chocolate chips with 2 T. crisco. when smooth, pour over cake roll. Freeze again. When chocolate has hardened, I drizzle a little melted white chocolate over it for design.

enjoy!!

Last edited by cookielady on Fri, May 09 2008, 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 10:29 am
Oh yum!! More calories but I think I'll try it this week. I don't have a jelly roll pan so I'll use a 9x13 pan.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 10:58 am
I have made similar on a cookie sheet and it was fine. you don't need to bake it so long, obviously.

A.D.A.P.T.

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 12:51 pm
I am in the middle of making this cake and something is wrong. I did the cake part and it is not very chocolatey at all. I did it in a cookie sheet which is about 12 x 18 and it was too thin and broke when I took off the parchment paper. I tasted the pieces and it tastes like a pesach cake not like a yodel.

A.D.A.P.T.

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 1:24 pm
so now I unrolled the cake so I can do the filling and it is all stuck to the towels.
I made this twice because the filling is enough for two cakes and now I have two dirty towels and no cake Sad

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 1:33 pm
oy, vey, did you PM cookie ?

AGINY

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 2:53 pm
A.D.A.P.T. wrote:
so now I unrolled the cake so I can do the filling and it is all stuck to the towels.
I made this twice because the filling is enough for two cakes and now I have two dirty towels and no cake Sad

I made this for shabbos this week and it came out YUMMY. Did you remember to sprinkle confectioners sugar on the towel before putting down the cake? This makes it not stick.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 3:47 pm
sounds ... YUMM !!!

A.D.A.P.T.

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 12:03 pm
I did put confectioners sugar on the towel - I have no idea what went wrong. Are you sure the ingredients and instructions are right?

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 12:05 pm
does it really taste like yodels? I miss them- but they are only sold on the east coast & I keep c"y now anyway.

shopaholic

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 3:59 pm
Just ate the last piece! Mine also stuck a bit to the towel but I DID use confectioners sugar. Still, it didn't break.
I used an 11x15 pan which the inside actually measures 9x13 & it was great.
It wasn't as chocolaty as I thought which was fine because once you pour the melted chocolate on top, you don't need it more chocolaty.
I should have made 2 cakes like cookie lady said, because now I have a bowl of cream.

Momof2kiddies

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 9:13 am
Is this cake meant to be kept in the fridge? freezer? or room temp? I don't know what to do with it now that it's done. it's still in the frezer from the chocolate hardening.

cookielady

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 10:17 am
I keep it in the fridge until about 10 minutes before serving. Truth is this week we had leftovers in fridge and they were fine too.

Momof2kiddies

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:57 pm
"I keep it in the fridge until about 10 minutes before serving. Truth is this week we had leftovers in fridge and they were fine too. "

Did u mean that you keep it in the freezer until 10 minutes before serving?

cookielady

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 2:25 pm
oops, yes I did!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins