Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Urgent-DD seems to be posting on imdb.com site

amother

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 3:51 pm
/www.imdb.com/name/nm0230655/board/thread.... about movies.

Can she find out who others are, and other find out who she is?
Plerase give whatever details u know about the site.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 3:58 pm
I don't think there's anything to post there, or to find out. IMDB stands for Internet Movie Data Base.
it's just a site to find movied, check up names of celebreties, basically anything about movies, or tv shows. I don't think there's a/thing dangerous there.

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 4:43 pm
I'm totally addicted to that site. You get all kinds of interesting trivia about movies, actors, directors. I use it constantly, although I don't post there. I imagine the posts are pretty innocuous.

amother

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 6:30 pm
DD showed me a post of hers. She used the expression WT*- I asked what it stood for. I was shocked, but at least she's open enough to show me her posts/username. She tells me I'd never be interested cuz I'm not familiar with the movies. WWYD?

cassandra

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 6:32 pm
What can you do?

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 6:44 pm
some naiive people think that WT* means 'what the flip'? they dont realize what it really maens.

ShiningThrough

Post Sat, May 10 2008, 4:43 pm
To ban or not to ban, that is the question.

But whatever you do, PLEASE talk to her about the possible dangers of the internet, instruct her NEVER to give out real personal information (about herself, any email addresses, etc.) and to ask permission before she signs up to any website where she needs to supply her email address and log in. (How old is she?)

Also, join her at the computer sometimes and sit and watch the interactions when she's on the site... for your own curiousity and piece of mind, and also so that SHE know that you're in tune with what's going on and protective if necessary.

Whatever you decide, try to get the point across to her that you're 'on the same team'... you're interested in what she's involved in, are aware of the dangers, and can help her stay protected.

Motek

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
DD showed me a post of hers. She used the expression WT*- I asked what it stood for. I was shocked, but at least she's open enough to show me her posts/username. She tells me I'd never be interested cuz I'm not familiar with the movies. WWYD?

What do you mean "she's open enough..." - do you mean that you let her use the Internet unsupervised? shock

greenfire

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 3:42 pm
it's one thing if stuff is non-challant ... but why get used to cursing ... never a good habit ...

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 5:17 pm
Maybe when she types WT* she's not really thinking of the f-word. Maybe it's just one of those internet shorthand things that you get so used to, you don't even say them aloud in your head. Like people who post DH don't really think "dear husband" as they're typing.

I used to post on an infertility board. They'd use BFP for a positive pregnancy test, and BFN for a negative. Turns out it means big fat positive and negative, and I thought it meant big f---ing positive and negative. But after reading it for a while, it just seemed like BFN and BFP, as if they were actual words.

Meaning, it's not exactly the same as OP's daughter cursing, more like computer-speak.

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 5:19 pm
you might want to consider koshernet, teenagers and computers....not the best

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:

it sounds like she asked what the abbreviation stood for. bc op said she was shocked.

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 2:19 am
uh, yes, I would researching and buying/downloading a filter that cannot be bypassed (its easier than you think). telling the kids that its there is up to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children