Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher Orlando?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:47 pm
We are going to Orlando for two weeks this summer.
Does anyone know where we can kosher food? We will be renting a house, so we will have a kitchen to cook in.

Rivky

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:56 pm
They don't really have any good restaurants in Orlando. As of a grocery store w/ kosher food....don't know of any.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 2:24 pm
there was a kind of chabad restaurant that served fleishigs & also made box lunches & delivered them to the hotels.

try www.kosherorlando.com

madys

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:34 am
There's a Publix supermarket that had some kosher stuff, not much.

We also rented a house when we went, I cooked and froze dinners that we took with us, bought cereal in the supermarket for breakfast, and made peanut butter or cold cut sandwiches for lunch (I brought the cold cuts with us)

I brought plastic plates/silverware and a huge roll of tin foil - I double wrapped the dinner in the oven, and it worked out fine. I also brought a samll dairy pot to boil water for coffee in the morning (after I kashered the stove) We had basically one huge suitcase with food/kitchen stuff - but it worked out great!

Have a nice time!!

tovasmom

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:41 am
Walmart and Publix in Orlando have some kosher products. There is a restaurant called "lower East Side" which has both a minyan and kosher food -- both boxed lunches and table service for dinner, but I warn you, it is very expensive. They may be able to get CY milk also if you ask them. Also, each of the disney parks has at least one restaurant where you can get kosher meals -- I think it is Weberman's under star k and they seem to be familiar with the proper protocol for preheaing there-- we ate there one night when we went to Disney last year -- it wasn't gourmet, but it was serviceable. We also carried some of our food from NY and cooked.

sky

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 11:16 am
orlando's chabad page had a lot of info
we were able to get some kosher stuff at publix but it spread out in the store and not in one aisle.
we stayed in a hotel with a kitchen so we could heat and prepare food.
I know in MGM there was a resteraunt that had a certifcate from the star-k but the actual food did not have the star-k. We called the star-k office and they said that they had removed their certification so make sure the actual meals have a reliable hechscher (they should be double wrapped)

Yaakovah

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 12:31 pm
There is a dairy kosher restaurant in Orlando called Ole' Gourmet. just do a google search to find it.

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 12:34 pm
really- I wish I had known all this when we went b/c we basicallt starved. no I have to go back just to make up for it. anyone want to watch my kids for me so that dh & I can take a vacation?

MrsLeo

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 1:29 pm
When we went last winter we took along a sandwich maker, bread and cheese and we had sandwiches. We also took along some frozen cold cuts. We bought some grocery items in SuperTarget there and there was also a store in the resort where we stayed that had some kosher products like drinks, snacks, canned foods, they were really expensive but since we didnt have a car it was easier than figuring out the bus system there to get to a store more than the one time that we went to SuperTarget.
We tried looking for the kosher restaurant there but since we were on foot we werent successful.

Mirabelle

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 2:31 pm
We have done Orlando a bunch of times and can never seem to "get it right" regarding Kashrut. That is why this time we decided to rent a house rather than a hotel room. Hopefully I can kasher the oven and the stovetop and bring a pot and maybe a frying pan with me.

MrsLeo

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 4:16 pm
Someone once told me that she once rented a villa in Orlando and the Chabad actually kashered everything for them for free. I guess u can check it out on their website.

trafficgal

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 9:11 am
We went last year and it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1st you need a car rental b/c the kosher places are a ways out, but there was the milchig place ole gorment which has EXCELLENT food and they just switched owners and the service is 100 times better!! There is a fleshig resturant a little farther out (closer to datona) called Jerusalm (if I remember correctly)

We stayed at a hotell that was made up of all suits. It had 1 bedroom (they had 2 bedrooms availble) a separate living room, kitchenet and sitting area, bathroom and powder room! It was fantastic. We brought our own plug in burner b/c the ones they had were gas and I dont know how to kasher it. there were counters and sink it was lovely!! I brought a pan and a pot, cheese, shnitzle everything we needed really, I went to publix and target got cereal, eggs, dont remember what else. We had an absolutely fantastic trip. And to top it all off, when I booked the room I mapquested the distance to the chabad house and it said 1mile well we drove the rout befor shabbos to be sure we knew where we were going. Found it easily but I noticed a building behind the chabad house and low and behold it was our hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All we had to do was walk through the back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had the best time!

sky

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:03 am
[quote="trafficgal"] And to top it all off, when I booked the room I mapquested the distance to the chabad house and it said 1mile well we drove the rout befor shabbos to be sure we knew where we were going. Found it easily but I noticed a building behind the chabad house and low and behold it was our hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All we had to do was walk through the back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we went there was no minyan at the chabad house on shabbos (I think they only have on holidays) but there was a minyan in the rabbis house. You can call the chabad office and check.

We found a hotel within 1 1/2 miles of the house and it was a very pleasant walk to davening. The hotel room was also a suite - with a full kitchen. It was great. And we payed about the same for a regular hotel room.

sandwich

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 3:49 pm
sky do you know the name of the hotel?
thanks

sky

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 4:48 pm
Here is all the info I keep on reposting on other topics:
We stayed for shabbos and stayed at:

Residence Inn By Marriott Orlando International Drive 3 Stars
800-754-6835
7975 Canada Ave
Orlando, FL 32819

We payed $ 89.00 a night.
It was during prime season

Total Charges for 2 nights $ 207.78

We booked it on Hotels.com.

We walked to the shabbos minyan from there. The kitchen was fantastic - It had everything!. If you will be there shabbos ask for a bottom floor so you can enter and exit through the patio door. we also had a room off the pool and was able to use when no one was there.
It is one big room so the kitchen, bedroom and living area were all together.

their check-in time was late and we wanted time to get ready for shabbos and they were very nice about us coming earlier. I think we checked-in about 11:00 on Friday with no extra cost.

When there is not a big crowd the minyan is at the rabbi's house:

Rabbi Konikov's house 6756 Tamarind Circle.
when we went the times were: You can e-mail for the times when you . They are very nice.
Mincha on friday is about 5:30 and Kabbalas Shabbos at 6:00.
Shacharis Shabbos morning is at 9:30.

Friday night dh drove before shabbos and walked back. After shabbos he took a taxi to pick up the car.
I walked with dh to shul on shabbos day and we hung around until mincha. It was a little bit of a walk but not too bad. I think it was one of the closer hotels.

On the chabad web site they do list Villas that are closer, but I think they are more money.

We setup an eruv chatzerus to walk to the minyan even thought they said we didn't need to. Dh wasn't comfortable that it was okay.

If there is a big crowd it is at the chabad house which I think is even closer.

It was a 2.5 mile walk to the chabad house. We walk a lot so it wasn't bad for us. I was close to 8 months pregnant then and it really wasn't bad. We were there in December tho, so the weather was probably a lot more pleasant.

Also, they normally have a minyan but not always. Shabbos they didn't have a minyan until shemona esrai. And it was a very mixed group - so if your dh doesn't mind it shouldn't be a problem
Also, the mechitza there wasn't great. It was some bushes that you could clearly see between. So keep that in mind if you are going

Also, where every you stay don't forget to unscrew the lightbulb in the fridge and oven (we forgot the fridge and it caused us problems.
I hope that helps.

3Qts

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 4:59 pm
Has anyone tried

http://www.orlandokosherevents.com/

sky

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 8:36 pm
3Qts wrote:
Has anyone tried

http://www.orlandokosherevents.com/

that is really cool. I never saw that before.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics