Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spending money when others are in need
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

freidasima

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 11:52 am
If the problem is asking the women on this forum whether to buy a bag, you're in trouble. If it's to ask your rebbe or rov whether to buy the bag, why don't you just buy the bag for the rebbetzin! Then it's tzedaka and you can enjoy the shopping...

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:16 pm
grin wrote:
Beauty and the Beast wrote:
gosh, it took long to read this thread!

It all boils down to taste, personality, and preference.
As we have seen here, there are some who value household items, and others value clothing and such.

If I like to look good when I am dressed, do I have to worry about others who may feel frumpy when they see me? I don't see the difference with buying yourself a nice bag. People have to know what they can afford.

( I have a toootally different opinion on people who cannot pay thier rent, yet they max out on certain things JUST so they can make people's eyes pop on the streeets....)

hmm, it may sound contradictory, but that is how I feel.

it doesn't sound contradictory at all to me and I agree with everyhting you said.

thanks! Very Happy

cassandra

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:20 pm
It may be morally defensible to buy the bag rather than give the money away, but you may benefit more from giving it away.

From John Tierney's blog on the NYT website:

Quote:
The researchers –Elizabeth Dunn and Lara Aknin of the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, and Michael Norton of Harvard Business School — have analyzed more than 1,000 responses and also answered some questions raised by readers. Here’s their report, starting with the three chief results:

1. We were pleased to see that our basic effect replicated. That is, respondents who reported having spent more so far that day on others reported greater happiness, whereas there was no relationship between spending on oneself and happiness. Although this effect fits with our previous results, we were still quite struck by it because as some readers pointed out (e.g., Catharine, Rob, & SciEd), the survey provided only a very small snapshot of spending habits, and yet we were still able to detect benefits associated with prosocial spending.

Full posting: http://tierneylab.blogs.nytime.....e-254

greenfire

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:30 pm
freidasima wrote:
If the problem is asking the women on this forum whether to buy a bag, you're in trouble. If it's to ask your rebbe or rov whether to buy the bag, why don't you just buy the bag for the rebbetzin! Then it's tzedaka and you can enjoy the shopping...

tzi passt nisht for a rebbetzin to have such an eye popping bag ... shock and who said a rebbetzin is poor and needs that kind of tzedaka ... now if there were money tucked away inside - send it my way ... 8)

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:32 pm
greenfire wrote:
freidasima wrote:

tzi passt nisht for a rebbetzin to have such an eye popping bag ... shock and who said a rebbetzin is poor and needs that kind of tzedaka ... now if there were money tucked away inside - send it my way ... 8)

maybe the reb. should davkah have th e Best bag

grin

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 2:07 pm
Regarding what
Clarissa wrote:
Walking around all bedecked in diamonds or driving a Lexus are meaningless. Anybody can do that and it doesn't have any correlation to whether they're special in any way.

Shemos Raba 17,1 wrote:

[free translation]: Everything Hashem created, He created only for His honor and to do with them His will..the heavens speak of His greatness...animals for His honor, as He commanded to bring sacrifices from them.

That means that anything and everything exists in this world only to praise Hashem or to be used somehow in a mitzva.

Clarissa

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 10:13 pm
I'm confused. Your responses to my comments make me think that you're not understanding my initial point, or points, in this thread, and we're continuing to discuss without really talking about the same thing. But here's what I'm willing to do. I'm willing to admit that I may not have made myself clear in the first place. I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong about whatever points I did make, and even about the ones I thought I was making. I'm willing to go buy you a $150 handbag, one so beautiful that the heavens will speak of its greatness. Whatever will help me escape from this thread.

grin

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 11:20 pm
Buy yourself the bag and use it in good health to do many mitzvos and it should serve as a reminder to you of Hashem's greatness and kindness.
How's that?

marina

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 7:33 am
Quote:
I'm willing to go buy you a $150 handbag, one so beautiful that the heavens will speak of its greatness.

What about me? She brings some quote from Shmos Rabba and gets a handbag? Where's the fairness in that? What is this, some sort of gameshow?

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 8:56 am
marina wrote:
Quote:
I'm willing to go buy you a $150 handbag, one so beautiful that the heavens will speak of its greatness.

What about me? She brings some quote from Shmos Rabba and gets a handbag? Where's the fairness in that? What is this, some sort of gameshow?

Yes it is. I've already given away today's grand prize (the handbag), but I won't let you leave empty-handed. I'm going to give you a year's supply of Rich's Whip and, of course, the Imamother home game, where you can have fun playing Name that Source and Unmask that Poster and collect sheitels, kugel recipes and other fun prizes, with your friends and family.

marina

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:13 am
Oh, well, as long I get a year's supply of rich's whip, I should be okay. Twisted Evil

greenfire

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:16 am
marina wrote:
Oh, well, as long I get a year's supply of rich's whip, I should be okay. Twisted Evil

what would "amother" do with that much rich's whip ?!?!?!

marina

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:37 am
I am not amother, so I don't know.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:42 am
marina wrote:
I am not amother, so I don't know.

hm marina dear ... everyone here is amother ... I mean in the most generic of forms ... what would YOU do ?!?!?! Question

marina

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 9:57 am
probably eat it, what did you think I would do?

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 10:12 am
marina wrote:
probably eat it, what did you think I would do?
And for whoever wins the year's supply of Rich's Whip, we have the follow-up family game, Imacardiologist, where the grand prize is an angioplasty.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 10:16 am
hm ... What

marina

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 10:46 am
Quote:
And for whoever wins the year's supply of Rich's Whip, we have the follow-up family game, Imacardiologist, where the grand prize is an angioplasty

So, I hate to break it to you, Clarissa. Rich's whip is cholesterol free.

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 11:05 am
marina wrote:
Quote:
And for whoever wins the year's supply of Rich's Whip, we have the follow-up family game, Imacardiologist, where the grand prize is an angioplasty

So, I hate to break it to you, Clarissa. Rich's whip is cholesterol free.
I'm sure it's free of cholesterol, but if it contains trans fats, it raises bad cholesterol. I went to their website and they offer no nutritional information, so I couldn't find out what it's made of. Most margarines, non-dairy creamers and shortenings are loaded with bad fats, with just a few exceptions.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it and personally apologize to Mr. Rich.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 11:13 am
Margarine is cholesterol free too. So what if it clogs your arteries and makes you so sick you can die: as long as there is no cholesterol, it's fine?
Rich's is the same thing. Fats and G-d knows what other things wrapped up to produce a foam.
I bet shaving cream is safer to ingest.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics