Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cutting Back

anonymom

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:19 pm
I can't believe no one else started this discussion, so I will: What are you doing to cut back on expenses with gas and food skyrocketing and incomes staying the same?

I have been buying only one item or the amount I'll need in a week instead of stocking up on whatever it is. I haven't bought ice cream in ages. Never go clothing shopping because I never have time, so that helps.

zigi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:49 pm
know what your family eats and try to make things ahead. buying lunch when your out of the house really adds up.
sometimes only buying canned veggies, and knowing exactly what I have at home.

if you use something often enough it pays to go to costco and stock up.

ice is really cheap to make if you use whole milk and chocolate powder mix. or vanilla extract.
cream is more expensive, I think its 6 for 4 cups. you can make 2 batches of ice cream with it.
you can make slurpies with the ice cream maker.

if you know when the sales are and what sizes you need ahead, you can really spend very little money dressing you kids nicely. and of course. only shop with cash if you don't have anything else you can't buy more than you need. and also bring coupons, it can really save you money,

shopping online is also helpful you can save gas money and go through the closets and see what you really need, and put it in your shopping bag and see wether you really need it or not.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 10:59 pm
Insted of buying Bodek vegs. I get the cheaper Birds Eye. If you can get store brands, you'd save even more.

Pizza

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 12:05 am
Ice cream substitute for hot summer days:

Freeze yogurt (either vanilla or a yummy flavor)
Put milk, yogurt, and some fresh or frozen fruit into the blender (I use strawberries I froze when they were at the seasons peak or bananas, nectarines, etc as they get mushy we freeze them) and blend til smooth. Add more milk if its too thick and not blending well.

You can make these really thick once you get the hang of it, taste and texture just like fresh frozen yogurt machines.

You can make chocolate with hot cocoa mix, or coffee with instant coffee, for more adult tastes.

Much cheaper than ice cream, much healthier too.

Pizza

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 12:11 am
Other frugal tips for expensive food times:

Make my own bread. Not that much cheaper, but MUCH more filling, so one loaf goes a long way. I usually use the no-knead bread recipe thats been posted on another forum.

Make my own tortillas and bagels. Not hard at all once you get the hang, and the entire family feels like theyve been treated to something amazing. We also make our own cream cheese (hang seasoned gvina levana in a clean stocking overnight). Tortillas get served with a big salad and beans.

Eat more beans and grains. Tacos, hot dogs w/beans, vegetarian chili, lentil stew.

Make meat go a loooong way - meat sauce instead of meatballs.
Stew instead of sliced meat.

Make chicken go a looooong way - I buy it with the bottoms cut in eighths and the breasts deboned.
Bottoms: regular shabbos chicken.
Bones: Soup, then take the chicken off the bones and use for chow mein, lo mein, or shepherds pie.
Breasts: Roast and put in a salad.
This is the most frugal way to use a chicken.

Good luck to all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics