Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need chizuk: renegotiating salary

Would you ask for a pay raise if your job duties changed?
Yes  
 25%  [ 7 ]
Yes, if more hours/skills required  
 53%  [ 15 ]
No, I'd want to but am too afraid/embarrassed/meek  
 10%  [ 3 ]
No  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe  
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

mamacita

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:31 am
Ladies, I need your help/advice!

I recently got a job doing data entry for a frum American business. The salary isn't much, but I work from home and it's only data entry anyway. Now they want me to work on other projects more in my field of work. Can I ask for a raise in salary to reflect this change in responsibility? The work they want me to do is much more complicated/skilled/involved than data entry and the usual salary for such work is 3-4 times what I'm currently making.

DH says to go for it, but I'm so meek and embarrassed discussing money matters I'm not sure how to do it or even if I should rock the boat at all.

Maybe they thought they had a great deal getting high skilled work for low skill pay and if I speak up they'll stop sending those projects my way or something.

Any advice? Thanks! (ooo, going to make my first poll!)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:32 am
Yes, of course ask. Just simply state the obvious. How much did you have in mind?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:33 am
definitely! or refuse the extra responsibilities.

mamacita

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:42 am
Any suggestions on how to word it? I hate bringing up or talking about money with my bosses, it's silly and I have no idea where it comes from Tongue Out

OldYoung

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:43 am
was in a similar situation. definitely ask. you deserve it. it might make you more comfortable if you use different words, as opposed to 'a raise.' maybe ask for extra compensation? added benefits?

KiKi

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:48 am
I would definitely ask if it requires more work, more skill.

Rivky

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:58 am
The worst thing they might tell you is "no". You have to give it a try though.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 12:03 pm
http://careerplanning.about.co.....?r=94

Fox

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 12:08 pm
My personal strategy would be to do the additional work for a few weeks to demonstrate that I was really doing a good job. In other words, get them accustomed to having the work done promptly and professionally. Then ask for a raise, pointing out how much benefit you've brought to the firm.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:49 pm
the first time I asked for a raise,I was young and working for a boss that was MEAN. I worked my head off and felt I deserved it. I asked him and he said no and he was nasty about it. I dont usualy cry but that convo was so horrible that I left crying. if u have a normal boss then dont be nervous, bring up your request and why u think u deserve it and hopefully he will be nice about it

sarahd

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 2:06 pm
I don't see why you're hesitating at all to ask. They hired you for one job and now they're offering you a different one. Wouldn't it be silly to be doing, say, computer programming (or whatever they're asking you to do) for a data entry salary?

All you need to say is, "Sure, I'd be happy to take on this new position. What salary are you offering for the position?" and take it from there. I'm sure they're just waiting for you to ask.

If they ask you how much you want, tell them what you wrote here - that the usual pay for the type of work they want you to do is x (x being = to 4 times your present salary.)

If they refuse you, you can just say, "I'm sorry, but for the salary you're offering me, I don't think I'm ready to take on the extra work."

If you're good at your job, they'll want you enough to offer you more pay. Even if they don't, they won't stop sending you data entry projects just because you asked for a raise.

BTW, I wouldn't take on the new job before arranging all the details, including salary. Once you've agreed to do the new job for the old salary, it could be harder to get a raise out of your boss.

mamacita

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 4:16 pm
Thanks for all the ideas, IY'H I'll take care of it ASAP

I am a sucker though so I'm already doing the new project. Tongue Out

sarahd

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 4:33 pm
Please let us know what happens.

rise above

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 8:51 pm
Fox wrote:
My personal strategy would be to do the additional work for a few weeks to demonstrate that I was really doing a good job. In other words, get them accustomed to having the work done promptly and professionally. Then ask for a raise, pointing out how much benefit you've brought to the firm.

I agree with this... if this jump in responsibilities is a good thing for you regardless- more interesting, better experience- then I say go for it without rocking the boat and maybe coming across like all you care for is the money. after a short while on the job and you become valuable to them, you can bring up the salary issue.

thats my take- could be influenced by the fact that I HATE asking for raises and it takes me a while to work up the guts!

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 9:04 pm
rise above wrote:
Fox wrote:

I agree with this... if this jump in responsibilities is a good thing for you regardless- more interesting, better experience- then I say go for it without rocking the boat and maybe coming across like all you care for is the money. after a short while on the job and you become valuable to them, you can bring up the salary issue.

thats my take- could be influenced by the fact that I HATE asking for raises and it takes me a while to work up the guts!

Also, maybe you could at the very least after a brief time with these new projects, have more experience to put on your resume and try to get a job with another company who will pay more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics