Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Carrots from Israel
1  2  3  Next

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:21 pm
So, at one of the most affordable grocery stores I frequent, they currently have bags of whole carrots imported from Israel (BH I noticed the brand name being "DOROT", and even bothered to look where it was from...)

Are carrots something I have to be concerned about re: shmittah? I know nothing of this bc it really rarely if ever effects me. I just don't want to go to a rav about something so poshut...you know, like, is shrimp kosher?

hannah95

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:53 pm
NJMommy wrote:
So, at one of the most affordable grocery stores I frequent, they currently have bags of whole carrots imported from Israel (BH I noticed the brand name being "DOROT", and even bothered to look where it was from...)

Are carrots something I have to be concerned about re: shmittah? I know nothing of this bc it really rarely if ever effects me. I just don't want to go to a rav about something so poshut...you know, like, is shrimp kosher?

Hi NJ

Here in France, our Rav told us to avoid all vegetables imported from Israel because we can never be sure where those came from. I bought a bag of israeli potatoes by mistake and couldn't use them. I was told to make them rot a little bit and them throw them away.

The only exception is for Goush Katif produces I guess ?

And also, I don't think it's poshut to ask a Rav about this, although you may want to ask someone who has studied shmita matters and who is not a Rav. Eating during shmita is a real kasherus problem.

For example, I went to simchas in Israel where the caterer was always the same, and I wondered why ? My family who lives there explained that they only trust certain caterers about shmita. And this comes on top of the brand of meat they usually eat or chomer number in the kitchen etc !

H.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:57 pm
Here in the UK we get a lot of Israeli produce too.

I've been told not to use any hoadoma produce at the moment.

Did you buy the carrots? If so, you need to ask your Rav what to do. There are different opinions.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:13 pm
No, I didn't buy them. I just wasn't sure about general shmittah laws adn if carrots are a product that could be effected, so now I know it can be.

I know nothing about this, so I wasn't sure if it was just fruit trees or the 5 grains or whatever...

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:16 pm
Shmittah applies to everything that grows.

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 1:47 pm
The carrots were most likely forbidden to be shipped to chutz or sold in a regular way. I would ask a LOR what to do with them now as they most likely have kedushas shevi'is. They must be treated with respect.

We have been selling carrots from Holland for quite some time as there are no more 6th year carrots in the market. Nobody keeping shmitta would have sent kedushas shevi'is carrots to chutz.

They could be Arava, Suria or oleh Mitzrayim, which there is disagreement between poskim. Your rav can see where it came from, know the halachic status of that area and pasken for you. It may even have the status of the veg on the bag in Hebrew if there is any kind of hechsher. Produce w/o a hechsher from Israel can have a number of problems.

Marion

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 1:54 pm
hannah95 wrote:
Eating during shmita is a real kasherus problem.

This is the only part of your post I would disagree with. Unlike any other area of food laws (kashrut), shmitta "mix-ups" do NOT create real kashrut problems in the kitchen. You can't "treif up" a pot by cooking the wrong kind of fruit/vegetable in it. Shmitta is very forgiving, in that respect.

(For example, just because I prefer to use kedushat shvi'it produce, doesn't mean that yevul nochri is "treif", if that's all I can find.)

grin

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 2:12 pm
fruits imported from Israel may have kedushas shevi'is, which means they don't belong in chu"l but in any case must be treated with extra respect; if those carrots are from Israel proper, they may be asur to be eaten.

shalhevet

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 3:20 pm
Marion wrote:
hannah95 wrote:
Eating during shmita is a real kasherus problem.

This is the only part of your post I would disagree with. Unlike any other area of food laws (kashrut), shmitta "mix-ups" do NOT create real kashrut problems in the kitchen. You can't "treif up" a pot by cooking the wrong kind of fruit/vegetable in it. Shmitta is very forgiving, in that respect.

Please say this is the way your rav paskens, rather than a general statement. Vegetables grown b'issur (in a forbidden way) may very well be considered 'treif'. Each person should ask their own rav.

Quote:
(For example, just because I prefer to use kedushat shvi'it produce, doesn't mean that yevul nochri is "treif", if that's all I can find.)

Yevul nochri means vegetables grown by a non-Jew. No one says you can't eat them for kashrus reasons. Those who don't want to use them, don't eat/buy them for ideological reasons.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 11:15 pm
Just to repeat: I didn't buy these carrots because I wasn't sure about them, but it prompted me to ask bc I didn't want to be "strict" unnecessarily and find out that carrots "don't count" and then feel...well...embarassed.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 12:16 am
Carrots count.

By the way, we have been eating carrots from Holland for quite a while. I guess ever since the "shishit" carrots have been gone.

grin

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 12:22 am
from this post, it seems that their newest trick is exporting the carrots grown under the heiter mechira to chu"l, since many of the Israelis won't buy them anymore?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 12:37 am
OP - was it a reg. supermarket or a frummie one? In a reg. supermarket, they prob. wouldn't have any info. or knowledge about it, but in a frummie one that's under the vaad, a) should know the deal or b)if they don't, should be told.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 12:41 am
no, it was a regular non Jewish supermarket.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 1:03 am
Sounds like Heter Mechira produce. Just standard, grown in Israel carrots.

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 1:14 am
grin wrote:
from this post, it seems that their newest trick is exporting the carrots grown under the heiter mechira to chu"l, since many of the Israelis won't buy them anymore?

Grin, I think the number of Israelis who won't eat heter mechira is negligible. Most of the country is not observant, and you have a few million Arabs as well!

grin

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 1:17 am
I'm beginning to wonder. No offense, but it does seem to me that the number of those that won't buy heter mechira produce has grown enormously.

catonmylap

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 1:22 am
grin wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder. No offense, but it does seem to me that the number of those that won't buy heter mechira produce has grown enormously.

Only in that the charedi population has grown.

I know lots of people who prefer to buy heter mechira. And I see the heter mechira stuff being sold just fine in the grocery stores.

grin

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 1:32 am
no, I think there's more awareness in general and a phenomena of D"L becoming more chareidi also over the years. (There is a representation of us here on this site.)
There are also more farmers keeping shemita kehilchoso than there used to be and I've seen many more shemita stores over the years.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 1:35 am
I agree with Tamiri.

I think that the great majority of the population eat Heter Mechira and they don't have to export that produce to get rid of it. They export because it's profitable. The chances that Yevul Nochri gets exported seem very, very slim to me. We're having enough trouble getting decent looking vegetables right now.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen