Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
I killed my shabbos food
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 6:47 am
I tried something a little above my capabilities for this shabbos, all new recipes.
and I killed my shabos food. pretty much everything flopped. Crying

and now the kitchen is a mess from my failed attempt to be a gourmet chef. Crying Crying

this is so disappointing. Exploding anger

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:02 am
Try making Shabbat with just a crockpot...

My oven isn't working right and the earliest the guy can come to fix it is Sunday and the gas company isn't coming until Wednesday to deliver gas so I can't use the stove.

So crock-potted chicken with veggies for one meal and broiled chicken breast with... I have no idea for another meal.

shalhevet

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:05 am
Sad <<<Hugs>>>

At least you'll get schar for the effort.

Seraph

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:08 am
my kubaneh is an oil soaked mass of half raw dough.
my wonton soup is now salty overmush noodles with meatballs. (wontons fell apart while I wad waiting for the rest to cook.)
I still gotta make my potatoes and chili salad but I'm afraid to touch them bec I seem to be doing awfully with my food prep.
ot.

happyone

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:26 am
As long as you didnt use your Kitchenaid, you'll get schar Smile

You killed it, or ruined it??

cookielady

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:27 am
NO Cohanim in the house I hope!

Seraph

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:40 am
happyone wrote:
As long as you didnt use your Kitchenaid, you'll get schar Smile

You killed it, or ruined it??

Whats the difference? If killing it is making it inedible, and ruining it means it just didnt come out as well, well this is halfway in between, because though its edible, it looks so unappetizing I dont want to eat it.

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 7:55 am
This sounds very sad {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}. All that effort, for naught. I feel very bad for you. This type of thing would throw me for a loop.

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 9:14 am
I've had plenty of disasters, but I look at it as training for being a better cook. Being creative and experimenting really helps you grow, so this is fine, even though you're frustrated and disappointed, not to mention feeling like a dinner murderer. Maybe it won't taste as bad as you think. I'm always saying I ruined this or that (last week's pancakes come to mind) and they're actually just fine.

Keep trying and your attempts to become a gourmet chef will pay off in greater gourmet chefdom than if you didn't put yourself out there.

Someday, Grasshopper, I'll tell you about my exploding casserole.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 10:13 am
Nervous

pray for the dead ...

grin

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 10:17 am
greenfire wrote:
Nervous

pray for the dead ...
Very Happy
Seriously tho, I really feel for you. I've learned from such experiences not to try too many new things all at once, certainly not on a Fri. But at least it's a long day - you still ahve time to make food - just keep it simple, tried and true. The most important ingredient is saying "lichvod shabbos kodesh" while cooking it - I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 10:21 am
Maybe you want to limit yourself to one new thing each week but how bad could your food be? if it's not burned or raw, who says it's n ot good ?

mom21n2

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 10:22 am
Kubaneh is one of the most difficult things to make. You need someone to SHOW you how. The written recipe is never correct. In other words, it's totally not your fault.

octopus

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 10:25 am
(((hugs)))
I can totally empathize. I was going to post about my baking catastrophe last night, but fell asleep instead. I'm having guests this shabbos and I baked a yummy delicious yellow cake. Very simple, so what could go wrong? EVERYTHING! I had separated the batter into four smaller pans instead of one big pan(I do this all the time)and maybe I added extra baking soda or something, but everything overflowed into my oven! I had to stop the oven mid-bake to clean it because I didn't want to cause a fire. anyway-in the meantime all the cakes sunk! It looks like someone took their fist and punched all my cakes-right down the middle Crying
I am so sorry OP that you experienced this. I can empathize.

mama-star

Post Sun, May 18 2008, 7:41 pm
breslov, I've done that before! Very Happy

now my policy is to only make one new thing at a time!

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 3:48 am
If the food only LOOKS unappetizing, you could forget to turn the lights on before Shabbos.....

mimivan

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 4:34 am
grin wrote:
greenfire wrote:
Nervous

pray for the dead ...
Very Happy
Seriously tho, I really feel for you. I've learned from such experiences not to try too many new things all at once, certainly not on a Fri. But at least it's a long day - you still ahve time to make food - just keep it simple, tried and true. The most important ingredient is saying "lichvod shabbos kodesh" while cooking it - I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

yes, I have some rules

1. only ONE new recipe per Shabbos (I'm more lenient on Yom Tov...allow myself TWO since there is more food usually anyway)
2. Only ONE new recipe for weeknight food ( a week)
3. NEVER, EVER, EVER and may I repeat EVER try a new recipe for a break the fast meal...I am still asking mechila from dh for that perfectly awful chicken pot pie I made to break the 17th of tammuz fast last year!

Pizza

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 8:11 am
I occasionally have a 'bad kitchen day'
when I recognize that the 'bad kitchen' karma has descended, I leave the kitchen
BH my hubby can cook and takes over
BH this only happens 1-2 times per year

Definitely dont try more than 2 new things per shabbos
That way you can fill in goofs with old standards, or just a baked potato!

RachelB

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 10:21 am
breslov,how did you manage? hope you had some time to make shabbos food...

Seraph

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 12:45 pm
Naw, I salvaged it... Took the most normal looking wontons and served them, garnished it prettily, and my husband even said I should open a rstaurant.

The wrecked challah is now in the freezer and is next weeks challah kugel.
The rest of teh food came out awesome, bh!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus