Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tips for new moms and moms to be
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 7:15 am
Not really a tip, more common sense, but when changing baby's diaper, make sure you have all the paraphernalia before changing.
And watch out for the boys Tongue Out .

SharonaB

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 2:04 pm
- ALWAYS have a toy and a biscuit in your handbag.

- Give them something to play with when you change their diaper so that they keep still.

- I use a nail file for my baby's nails as she won't keep still. I make silly noises as I move it and she thinks it's great fun. However, I loved the suggestion about cutting them in their sleep - what a great idea!

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 3:14 pm
biting your baby's nails?? ewww

mummy-bh

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 3:19 pm
I give my (locked) cell phone to my babies during changing time. Sometimes I get a clothespeg and clip in on their sleeve or top - they love that!

And I always always bite the babies nails, until about 18 months or so. The thought of cutting their delicate toes or fingers with an instrument makes me very scared!!

greentiger

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 3:46 pm
I also cut the nails while she is sleeping its the only way. And I second getting a nasal aspirator.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 8:03 am
This doesn't really pertain to an infant, but it's important, nevertheless. When zipping a boys pants, when they're wearing underwear, be careful. I accidentally zipped, only a drop because he screamed, my brother when he was around 3 years old. Now, he's 26 and I'm 100% sure he doesn't remember, b"h.

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 8:45 am
Yeah.. I acidentally zipped my niece's skin once Sad I felt so awful afterwards! I was zipping my sweatshirt on her as a blanket when it was really cold once and she didn't have a blanket for some reason. She was tiny and I felt so bad about it!!

OldYoung

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 10:27 am
If you don't have an exersaucer, a high chair with toys on the tray works nicely too!

a1mom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:52 pm
Have the nurses in the hospital teach you to swaddle very tightly- nothing like it to help a baby feel cozy!

soldat

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:54 pm
a1mom wrote:
Have the nurses in the hospital teach you to swaddle very tightly- nothing like it to help a baby feel cozy!

some hospitals are saying not to swaddle the arms shock

OldYoung

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:17 pm
soldat wrote:
a1mom wrote:

Why? Any medical reason?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:32 pm
soldat wrote:
a1mom wrote:

not the hospitals I work in and give birth in. Why not?

raizy

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:06 pm
yep just learned the trick about giving medicine inthe bath. so u dont have to clean up the whole mess from the medicine.

I use scissors to cut their nails. biting can cause them to have an ingrown nail.

make sure to have enough bottles food, extra pair of clothing.. etc before u leave home. and since I live on the second floor. when I go down I take with everything . phone . food. pampers. wipes. all in a bag. no point of wasting time running up and down. every minete. once I am down I am down.

cubbie

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 1:44 pm
If you have a car keep a spare bag in the car for when you forget or run out. (a couple of diapers, wipes, clean outfit etc)

OldYoung

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:01 pm
chaylizi wrote:
soldat wrote:
a1mom wrote:

not the hospitals I work in and give birth in. Why not?

In fact, I would strongly recommend keeping the arms in. Most babies are used to moving around and the hands in the face could keep waking them up. If you'd like a nice amount of sleep, swaddling with the arms in may be your best bet. And do it nice and tight. If it's too tight, the baby will cry and let you know.

Rivky

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 2:32 pm
Swaddle-what does that mean?

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 6:27 am
The whole point of swaddling is so when they are startled (the moro reflex), they don't fling their arms and legs out. Swaddling lets them sleep longer and keeps them calm when awake too.

Check out Dr Harvey Karp and books he has written on Google, Youtube and Amazon.

I would like to know the reason the hospital has for keeping the arms out. I do know some babies like one arm out and sleep better that way but I'm not sure why.

greentiger

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 6:55 am
Maybe it had to do with SIDS? I read that one of the assumed reasons that sleeping on the back is better to prevent SIDS is specifically becuase the startleing prevents them from sleeping too deep and they can wake themselves if they suddenly stop breathing.

OldYoung

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 9:20 am
I once heard about a theory that the first few months of a baby's life are called the "fourth trimester." So anything you do that makes them feel like they are still in the womb makes them feel comfortable. Swaddling makes them feel warm and cozy and keeps them sleeping nicely. Also, when you put the hands in, as mentioned in quite a few posts, the baby will stay still and not wake itself up by wacking its head, etc.

smilethere

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 10:19 am
giving medicine in the bath is a good idea - but don't you have the syringes?

they come with the nurofen here, and are fantastic, medicine pushed slowly into the mouth, doesn't go anywhere...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics