Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
The BEST NO FAIL Delicious challah- by breslov
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2011, 9:24 am
checkbefore wrote:
@ra mom I did put it in a cold oven, as you suggested in previous posts. In the original recipe she says to add the yeast to 2 c warm water. I did that but it didnt bubble. Should I first add the yeast to a little water first to activate it?
Yes, dissolve the yeast in the warm water, but add 1 tsp sugar for each 1-1/2 Tbsp of dry yeast at the same time. The sugar together with the warm water will activate the yeast.

And have your challahs rise for a full hour, during both rises.

checkbefore

Post Fri, Aug 12 2011, 9:26 am
@ra mom, you mean dissolve it in the first two cups of warm water?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2011, 1:55 pm
checkbefore wrote:
@ra mom, you mean dissolve it in the first two cups of warm water?

You can dissolve 1-1/2 Tbsp dry yeast, in 1/2 cup warm water, and 1 tsp sugar.
After that you can add the other 1-1/2 cups of warm water with the rest of the ingredients/steps.

Seraph

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 2:53 pm
Haha, so funny this thread is still going on a few years later. I haven't made this recipe in at least 2 years because I get bored following exact recipes and measuring, I just throw stuff together and thats it...

And now I'm gluten free anyhow, so wouldn't be eating this challah anyhow...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2011, 3:15 pm
Seraph wrote:
Haha, so funny this thread is still going on a few years later. I haven't made this recipe in at least 2 years because I get bored following exact recipes and measuring, I just throw stuff together and thats it...

And now I'm gluten free anyhow, so wouldn't be eating this challah anyhow...
It's alive and well, because it's awesome! Very Happy
Thanks so much Seraph! You got me to start making homemade Challah! Tongue Out

imamiri

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 4:23 pm
I tried this recipe this weekend and it was fantastic! Fluffy and delicious! Thank you so much. Smile

red_velvet

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 8:16 pm
Can't wait to try this recipe this week!

someone613

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 7:49 am
I want to try this. Do you really need to punch the dough three times when letting it rise for the hour? And can you let it rise longer than that? I want to make the dough, and leave on counter, go out, and cmoe back and knead/make into loaves, would that still work?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 4:15 pm
someone613 wrote:
I want to try this. Do you really need to punch the dough three times when letting it rise for the hour? And can you let it rise longer than that? I want to make the dough, and leave on counter, go out, and cmoe back and knead/make into loaves, would that still work?
leaving it to rise too long will give it a spongy/crumbly taste. not a good texture.

you can prepare the dough, cover refrigerate right away (no rising or punching down) overnight, punch down in the morning, braid when cold, and then cover and allow braided challah to sit until it comes to room temp, up to 4 hours. glaze and bake.

someone613

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 5:41 pm
ra mom but what about just a couple of hours? or even just the our it says but without punching down? I've made challah before but never heard of punching it down while it's rising.. thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 6:30 pm
someone613 wrote:
ra mom but what about just a couple of hours? or even just the our it says but without punching down? I've made challah before but never heard of punching it down while it's rising.. thanks!
You can probably leave out the punching while it rises. But I wouldn't let it rise for a couple of hours. The texture of the dough changes.

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 4:55 pm
Funny thing just happened! I was catching up on the past couple days of imamother posts. I just opened this one when s-I-l called and asked (for dd) "what is that easy challah recipe on imamother?" So I easily sent him the link!

Sudy

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 7:34 pm
Thank you Seraph for this great recipe.

And a huge thank you to ra mom for your detailed instructions.

I have tried many recipes but they all flopped. I had totally given up on challah. This year I noticed this recipe again (thank you whoever bumped this) and figured its worth to try. They were absolutly delicous!

and I am so proud of myself!

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 5:41 am
I'm so happy this recipe is working for all of you!

red_velvet

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 3:24 pm
The easiest and best-tasting challah recipe ever! Thanks Seraph. I now make challah every single week as opposed to buying like I used to...DH loves it!

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 30 2012, 10:46 am
After wondering how a challah recipe thread could be 9 pages long, I decided to make this recipe.

I liked it, it turned out well and the dough was easy to work with, but wasn't ZOMG THE BEST CHALLAH EVER.

I found it was slightly less sweet than my other recipes, and perhaps because it had fewer eggs and less sugar, it was perfect on Friday night, fluffy and delicious, but the loaf we ate Shabbos afternoon was already a bit dry.

I may add it to my rotation of challah recipes, but it's not replacing some of my other tried and true recipes.

Here's a picture:

Each of these 3 challos is 1/4 of the recipe as posted (6.5-7 cups of flour) -- I made 3 challos and 3 bilkelach from it.

Sugar plum

Post Thu, Oct 11 2012, 10:31 am
I have to say a huge thank you for this recipe! I've always been afraid to try to make challah but this was so easy and tastes absolutely delicious!

SJcookie

Post Sat, Jan 12 2013, 5:36 pm
I know this thread has so many who made this testimony already but...

THESE CHALLAHS WERE SOOO DELICIOUS AND FLUFFY!
My husband was raving about them at each meal and requested that I use this recipe each week.

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe with us!

strawberries

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 6:33 pm
can this recipe be made with a bosch? and if yes, how?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 6:54 pm
strawberries wrote:
can this recipe be made with a bosch? and if yes, how?
Sure!
Just follow the directions of the recipe posted. Alternate the dry and wet ingredients then turn on the machine to kneed until you get a good dough.
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads