Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Healthy Eating on a Budget

1stimer

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:30 pm
We try to eat healthy BUT the healthier varieties are so expensive. e.g. wholewheat bread is 3 times the price of white bread. Wholewheat pasta is 4 times the price of white pasta. Olive oil is TEN times the price of a cheaper variety oil. etc. These are not exaggerations but real comparisons.

So what do you do? Just give up on eating healthy? Any suggestions anyone?

chavamom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:41 pm
A few suggestions. Do you have a freezer? You can get whole wheat bread from the distributer (we can get from Natural Ovens with not a huge minimum order) and freeze it. You get it for wholesale prices taht waya. Or use a bread machine to make your own.

Olive oil, I get from Sam's or Costo. A giant bottle is $8, which is not much more than the small bottle in a regular store. I buy from Trader Joes - big savings there. If you can find a co-op, you will rack up savings that way. One of my friends is in a co-op that is not even local - they ship it to her. I can find out the info if you want. Buying from 'bulk bins' saves you money too. I go to Wild Oats and they are really nice about letting me see original packaging and getting stuff that way (pasta for example) and most of the flours/beans/lentils etc. don't need a hechsher. If I think of other ways I save $, I'll let you know.

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:44 pm
for items like these I do not shop in kosher supermarkets.

RivkaS

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:52 pm
According to your price-comparisons that I also made, I assume that you live in Israel - also the weblog says something.... so there are some ways you can go shuk machaneh jehuda in Jerushalayim is usually half the price than other shops.
If you come to bney brak - check out the healthshop Hus or Has in Rechov Chazon Ish near Rabbi Akiva it is the cheapest health-food shop in the area. And whole-wheat-bread either you suffer or you bake by yourself - just do it like a challa and when you are good at that you can go to other recipes.
BeHazlacha
Rivka

1stimer

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 2:00 pm
Yes, RivkaS I live in Israel.

We don't have a large freezer so bulk buying is out of the question.

miriam

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 3:23 pm
You can make whole wheat bread yourself.

1stimer

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 10:26 am
RivkaS, do you buy the bug-free wholewheat flour? It's a fortune, I don't think it would be cheaper than buying wholewheat bread. If you don't buy the bug-free flour, how do you check it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen