Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Donating to S'derot.

Would you contribute towards a community donation for the families of S'derot?
Yes absolutely!  
 46%  [ 13 ]
Perhaps. It depends on for what.  
 25%  [ 7 ]
I'd rather do it on my own, thank you.  
 7%  [ 2 ]
No, I'm sorry. I won't be able to contribute.  
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 9:57 am
I was thinking that perhaps as a community we could donate money to the families of S'derot. I know that for me it would be next to impossible to afford a large sum, and it can make one feel rather paltry to send in a check for nothing more than 10shekels.

What I was thinking was we could have one person collect the money from everyone, a set amount of time to collect the fund. The monies would all be annoymous; cashier checks, or people in Israel could give directly to the person collecting in unmarked envelopes (one person from each area collecting and giving to someone in Jerusalem?) This way no one needs feel embarrassed, no matter how much or little money they have to contribute.

To give you an idea of how much money is needed here's a list of cost for various financial assistance via One Family (thanks Tamiri)

$18 -100 Friend

$180 Feed a family for 1 week

$360 Provide psychological treatment for a month

$500 Send a child to camp in the north

$1,000 Emergency Funds for families struck by missiles

$2,500 Give 50 residents a get away from the missiles

$6,000 Sponsor 3 weekly therapy groups for 1 year

$7,000 Adopt a family for year

I don't know if I would be the best person to collect. Money doesn't seem to like me. But I would help out as much as possible, or if no one else wants I will do the collecting.

thanks all.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:01 am
It's very impossible to have someone everywhere willing to go to Israel to give the funds of her area!

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:07 am
Ruhel, people outside of Israel can simply send the money to an address. But for people in Israel it may be easier to meet in Jerusalem.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:13 am
Well, we could set up a pay-pal account and everyone who wants to, could put the money there. I would be happy to collect but since no one really knows me, I would not expect anyone to give funds to me. There has to be some way.
This is a FABULOUS idea. Imagine a nice donation in the name of Jewish mothers everywhere, to suffering Jewish children in Sderot. And even if you give $2, it can make a difference ultimately.
Are there any money people out there who know how to do this? Maybe one of the mods?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jun 14 2008, 2:34 pm
Well, this pulled 74 views and just three responses before this one. How utterly surprising.

freidasima

Post Sat, Jun 14 2008, 2:50 pm
Why are you surprised Tamiri? this isn't for a yeshiva couple in dire straits, this isn't for the bochurim in Japan...

In any case in our community we have several kids who are members of the garin torani of sderot and they regularly collect from all of us here including food etc. to give out there to the poor...so we have been into this long before sderot was a firing zone, but for ten years since it was just a poor place...

mimivan

Post Sat, Jun 14 2008, 7:36 pm
I voted yes (adding my own words bli neder...which is what I always say when I intend to give tzedaka because dh is also involved in the decision and we give to Sderot via Collel Chabad) depending on if I can give the money via paypal or check...is this possible?

miriamnechama

Post Sat, Jun 14 2008, 11:49 pm
in beitar before purim... we had tons of shalach manot sent t sderot.....

it was an amazing hit!!! my boys joined in too...

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 12:41 am
mimivan wrote:
I voted yes (adding my own words bli neder...which is what I always say when I intend to give tzedaka because dh is also involved in the decision and we give to Sderot via Collel Chabad) depending on if I can give the money via paypal or check...is this possible?

https://secure.onefamilyfund.org/?RID=9ZJY7

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 12:42 am
From the One Family Fund site:

The 200,000 people living in Sderot, Ashkelon and the western Negev are under siege. The daily rocket barrage grows more serious every day, as the range and grade of the terrorist's fire power intensifies.

People are being killed and injured every day. The challenge of living under constant fire and fear has thousands suffering from stress, afraid to go to work or shop in case they can't make it to a shelter in time. The local economies are a mess and children are losing their innocence as they live every day steeped in fear and panic.

The people of Southern Israel need and deserve our help. Please give generously to help One Family Fund provide our brothers and sisters with the emergency emotional and financial assistance and long term loving care that they need to survive.

Thank You for being part of the family.

$18 -100 Friend

$180 Feed a family for 1 week

$360 Provide psychological treatment for a month

$500 Send a child to camp in the north

$1,000 Emergency Funds for families struck by missiles

$2,500 Give 50 residents a get away from the missiles

$6,000 Sponsor 3 weekly therapy groups for 1 year

$7,000 Adopt a family for year

Atali

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:54 am
So, is anything set up yet?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 10:19 am
Not formally but above is where they collect continuously for Sderot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics