Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Another question on organizing toys

Coffee3

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 3:19 pm
My kids have alot of little things that they play with. I spent time one day to try to organize and put things into a few clear boxes. The kids were helping me and reorganized things and we ended up having a big mess.
My question is, which toys do I put together? how many boxes should I use? we also have drawers under the beds that are used for toys but they keep getting caught and the drawers keep breaking.
I would appreciate any ideas. The big kids are 7 and have always have ideas but they dont have a desk or a special place to keep their stuff so everything keeps getting lost.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 4:34 pm
I can only tell you how organize my things.
menchies- animals, pple, and aliens- 1 box
transportation- 1 box
big toys- 1 box, really 2
tools- 1 box
blocks- 1 box
army men- 1 box, b/c they're so small
mr. potato head- 1 box
small odds and ends- 1 box
for the small things (not 1st 2), I use wipes containers.

Coffee3

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 4:36 pm
u sound organized!

agh

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 4:38 pm
go to target or walmart or a store like that and buy the colorful plastic drawers (red, green, blue) organize all your toys in that eg- cars in one, plastic animals, puppets, baby rattles toys etc. alao label the drawers with labels and a word and a picture so the pre readers can know where to put the toys back and most impotantly train your kids from when they are little to clean up after they play and take out one toy at a time ( that one hardly works, but it sounds good)

Coffee3

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 4:40 pm
My kids have no concept how to put away things, on Monday's I look forward to my babysitter coming even though I hate her by Friday.
Last time they cleaned up everything was hidden under the bed or somewhere.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 5:07 pm
I forgot to mention, I also have a big box for balls, but most of them happen to be outside on the porch in the stroller we don't use.

supermommy

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 5:36 pm
I also organize with plastic boxes. I found that using huge plastic boxes for many types of toys doesn't help very much. for example I have three or four different sets of blocks so instead of having one big box for all blocks I have three small plastic boxes for each individual set of blocks.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 5:40 pm
I first get rid of orphaned toys or incomplete sets (where completeness matters) or random chotchkes my kids just throw around and don't even play with.

I don't have a ton of toys but I do : train tracks, cars, blocks (wood), dolls, and other. I have a short book shelf and the toys fit into one of the categories or come in their own box (plastic fruit in basket)/mr. potato head/fisher price shapes with bin or tey are bigger and just sit on the shelf.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 6:17 pm
There are a few things you can get. I use plastic boxes with different toys in each of them. Menchies, cars, mini animals, small legos, big legos, playmobil stuff, large playmobil pieces, train stuff. I have dress-up clothes those also go in seperate boxes doctor set, train conductor, policeman and fireman.

Also Ikea has great stuff for storage too.

micki

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 7:58 pm
everry toy a different clear bucket with a cover.
lego little lego, it all stacks one on top of the other, and the kids know, or are supposed to know one bucket at a time.
I got a puzzle rack for the wood puzzles, this way when you pull one fromt the bottom they don't all fall, and a low bookshelf for all the big toys, like cars, baby stackers anything that does not need a bucket. higher shelf for the board games and then the stuffed animals/dolls in a corner hanger.

little cars, trains and little plastic animals go in the boys room in plastic buckets which fit so nicely under the bed,
and the girls have the dollhouse, and a 5 drawer stack of drawers with their small dolls like polly pockets, etc filled one category in each drawer.
then we have on more set of 3 plastic drawers with dress up, large doll clothes and large doll accesories.

the key is to have a drawer or a bucket for each toy category, this way the kids know where everything belongs and thry can clean up on their own. my 3 yr old is super at sorting toys , cause she recognizes each bucket.

SingALong

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 8:30 pm
I got these blue tinted clearish boxes from walmart that had covers. they came in various sizes.
some I put sets like trains in one, other has megablocks, another has clicks, another had kitchen dishes and food, etc.
others I put all toy pocketbooks.
another has odds and ends-mr. potato head and stuff, chatchkes,
one I have all baby dolls, and another for all doll clothing. etc. I tried categorizing my toys.
I also have tons of plush animals and pillows and toys that take up so much room and dont really get used a lot so that went into those huge bins and into storage. or the top of the toy closet.

I try to reorganize every now and then cuz things always get mixed up and garbage keeps sneaking in. im thinking of labeling my boxes and also in spanish for my babysitter so that it stays organized

also, all the crafts stuff like stickers, crayons, foam stuff, pompoms, beads, glue wahtever are all organized into smaller bins.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 8:34 pm
target has this bookcase thing with different colored bins. I put my smaller toys in there. one of those big red buckets for the bigger things & dd has a little tikes toy thing in her room with shelves and 6 little bins. the baby's toys stay in her play yard. I don't bother cleaning up in there unless there's no room to sit down.

cheerios

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:17 pm
Ziploc bags are good for storing toys (at least until you get bins). they come in all sizes, including 2 gallon. I keep small toys in ziplocs, all labeled, and the bags go into drawers. Big toys go like blocks and lego, stay in the bin they came in.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:28 pm
cheerios wrote:
Ziploc bags are good for storing toys (at least until you get bins). they come in all sizes, including 2 gallon. I keep small toys in ziplocs, all labeled, and the bags go into drawers. Big toys go like blocks and lego, stay in the bin they came in.

I don't like keeping bags around my children. especially since mine have miniscule head circumferences. I'd even rather have my house be a mess until I find something suitable.

delia

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:36 am
I was worried about bags being a suffocation hazard, but I found some mesh ones online so no longer worried. As a bonus, since they're mesh, it's easy to see what's inside. I think they were called Kids Klutter Katchers. (Before I found these, I tried ziplocs briefly, by the way, and they didn't hold up all that well to repeated use.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics