Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If I Had a Million Dollars....
1  2  Next

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 1:09 pm
So as I am busy with one of my twins. I started to dream if I had a million dollars what would I do with it? first off I would'nt go back to work I would enjoy my 'treasures'. And help the Chabad in my community maybe buy them the much sought of building.....who knows .......
First let me win it... and then I won't have to dream! Smile
What would you do if you won money, any amount would do!!! Wink

Last edited by Tefila on Wed, Jan 26 2005, 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

zuncompany

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 1:29 pm
I would honestly give a huge hunk to some of our friends who are shluchim. Buy a house and put away enough money for tuition for the kids. After that, who knows. Maybe put aside enough so that we can live while my husband learns full time and gets smicha... he would love that one day.

Sara

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 6:05 pm
Quote:
First let me win it... and then I won't have to dream

First I'd have to enter .... I guess Wink

Yael

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 8:48 pm
I would buy a house and like zu said put aside for tuition, as well as weddings, and live off the rest so my husband can start a buisness without worrying about income.
honestly when you give a huge amount for taxes and another 10-20 % for tzedaka, you arent left with very much.
think about it, 1 million will leave you with about half a million to use and if you buy a house with 2-300,000 you are left with 2-300,000 which you could live off for about 5-6 yrs. and then you are done. and I didnt even count tuition.
so anyone planning to quit work after getting a million dollars should think twice. you're better off working and using the money to buy extra things that you wouldnt normally afford. get a cleaning lady more often, take longer vacations.
or leave the money in a bank account and live off the interest.
I guess I'll figure it out when it happens. 8)

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 9:07 pm
my DH buys the tickets.
So, when we win, we would buy a house.
There is a house I want, goim live in it now, in a really wonderful neighborhood. So I would buy it (that is, if they will sell).
The rest of $ we would put in the bank & use the interest for things we weren't able to afford.

Yael

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 9:26 pm
I dont let my husband buy tickets, I say its a waste of money b/c we'll never win. once in a while he'll just buy one for the fun of it. so I guess I have a lower chance than any of you to get that million dollars, though trust me its not that much lower seeing as your chance is about 1 in a million.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Nov 15 2004, 9:33 pm
we had won small sums, enough to cover for the tickets we bought so far.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Nov 16 2004, 12:08 am
I have thought about it before too and I would like atleast a few million but any amount of money is always appreciated. LOL

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 16 2004, 10:44 am
I would invest it.
the more money you have the more tzedaka you can give!

proudmom

Post Tue, Nov 16 2004, 10:47 am
Yael, here in montreal there is no taxes taken off the lottery. So if you win a million you get a million.

Rivka

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 12:20 pm
Lottery money is tax free and truth is anything less than a million won't get you far. A 4 bedroom house is about £200,000 and then you have to pay bills still and do anything up to the house and schools and a car.
Truth is I wouild give sums to family (charity starts at home) and decent amounts (at least 10% if not more) to places like schools or poor people in the community or to poor people in Israel.
But I figured I would still have to work, maybe not as many hours but unless I am 65 winning £1000,000 won't last me that long.

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 13 2005, 4:20 pm
I would donate to the Wonderful chabad houses turned into shelters, and the volunteers who have the gruesome task of identifying the bodies in the tsunami disaster R"L Sad
If only................................................................................................

hadasa

Post Thu, Jan 13 2005, 4:49 pm
We would pay back all my husband's Shlichus debts (Halevai) and whatever's left, probably use for a new house and if there's any left, invest it.

yehudis

Post Thu, Jan 13 2005, 5:22 pm
Buy a house. That's all we could do with it -- houses around here really do cost that much. Sad

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Jan 16 2005, 9:50 am
first thing I'd do (after tithing) is put away $100,000 for each of my two children. I'd put the money in a bank or in a risk free investment, where the returns are lower but the risk is non-existent and the taxes dont kick in until the children reach 18. since I already own my house (it's a 2 family) and the interest rate on my mortgage is low, I'd probably not pay off the mortgage but I'd rather put a large down payment on a one family house and move. finally, I'd probably invest about $50,000 in several mutual funds, and spend some $ on jewelry and a fur coat.

proudmom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2005, 12:56 pm
I would give 10 percent to tzedaka and then help out family that are in need. Then buy a house.

Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 9:20 am
Once, the first price was 12 milion euro...! I bought one ticket (see how optimistic I can be?! Very Happy truth is, didn't have money to buy more...) and hub and I started discussing what we would do with the money (again, optimistic!).
We got into such a major fight, that B"H we didn;t win a penney! This was a few years back, when we had issues with eachother's families.....hub wanted most of the money to go to his family etc etc..
Never bought a ticket again!!!
But now we would definately know what to do with it, and decide in good harmony Wink

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 22 2005, 8:31 pm
Quote:
We got into such a major fight, that B"H we didn;t win a penney! This was a few years back, when we had issues with eachother's families.....hub wanted most of the money to go to his family etc etc..
Never bought a ticket again!!!

Interesting Pnina, a friend sent me an article which said people who win big time all at once it affects their marriage, and most end up in divorce! Or become depressed.

Marriage- since fights over where and how it should be spent.
And depressed- since a majority acc to this report blow it within a short span of time and are left with nonething.
Those who gave to charity ,plus those who invested, were the happiest.

This was an article from a paper that she emailed me.
Makes sense I guess, since the shock of winning such an amount can make anyone senseless!

Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 3:51 am
Hello Freilich,
If I may ask, is that your photo next to your postings? I am just curious Very Happy !

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 11:16 am
Who else Confused. The prob is now those posting who didn't know who I was might very well now. But I view this forum as a club of friends so it's nice when it becomes personalized!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics