Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby's eyes tracking / eye contact

su7kids

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 8:09 am
I seem to remember my children making eye contact within hours of birth and watching things around them and following things relatively early.

I am curious to know if you had the same experiences, and if you saw a child who is about 3 months old not making eye contact when you spoke to it, or even trying to look at a face, would you say something to the parents?

These are first time parents who get quite "personal" if you guide them, but I am concerned. Should I be, and if I am, should I say something?

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 8:20 am
Certainly by this age, and even earlier, my kids were all following an object and making eye contact. They don't hold it for very long when they are little though.

Does the child smile?

su7kids

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 8:25 am
Very little smiling yet.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 8:27 am
Hmmm, it does sound like you are right to be concerned.....

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 8:31 pm
I would ask them if htey are aware of baby ilestones for development nad if they see anurse or pediatrician. if they are still nonchalant, definitelyh urge them to see a pediatritian PRONTO>
I have a friend whose son's condition was diagnosed when he didnt' smile at 3 mths

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 7:55 am
With regards to eye tracking there is a difference b/w not focusing, not tracking and avoidance. Each can depict a different issue. Does the baby focus on anything (toy, hands, etc...?) and is it both eyes? Any way you slice it, I think they should be under medical supervision, don't kids get 2 wek, 4 week, 2 mo, 4 mo, and 6 mo check ups to ensure proper developement? Maybe they know there is a problem and are embarrassed - bring it up lightly abd guage their reaction

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:33 pm
I'm going to completely agree with all the other posters on this forum.
I'm still in graduate school but am studying this--to teach children who are blind or visually impaired and from what I've been learning and watching in the field. The sooner something is diagnosed and EI services begin the better the outcome.
They should definitely speak to the pediatrician--who may have already brought it up at a checkup and get a second opinion. There are pediatric neuro-opthalmologists who can evaluate him as well.

If there is a diagnosis related to something in the vision field you can contact me for resources.
Are they in NY State? (Just curious)

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 9:32 pm
I don't have much experience in this area, but I can tell you that I took dd for her 2 month check-up last week and the doctor asked if she was tracking yet. B"H she is. If the parents you are referring to have a competent pediatrician, then I am sure the issue has already come up. They may resent you intruding in their business if you say anything.

su7kids

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:11 pm
They are not in New York, unfortunately.

They told me when I mentioned to them to ask the Dr that I was worrying about nothing because he DOES smile and he DOES look at them.

It was just that I held him for almost an hour and he didn't looka t me at all. I know I'm not his mother, or his grandmother, but he should have SOME interest in humans.

Apparently when they took him to the Dr he said the baby is fine, that he just doesn't like to look at people. I have never heard of such thing.

Also, you wrote that when your doctor asked you, you were able to answer. If they THINK he's fine, they're not going to MENTION to the Dr that there is a concern.

I'm still worried.

mommy24

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 5:06 am
One of my babies was not tracking or focusing when he was 2 months. It was as if he would look straight through us. One of our kids already wears glasses (with a strong prescription) and other family members have had issues with visions since birth. Needless to say we were worried. The doctor told me I could have it checked out now OR wait a month or so. I decided to hold off, B'H I would say by three months he started tracking things above him. SOmetimes things just take a drop longer. I would give it a little bit of time even a couple of weeks and if nothing improves take him to a pediatric opthamologist.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 8:09 am
One more question:
Does the baby respond to auditory stimulation?

su7kids

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 8:11 am
I think he does respond to auditory stimulation. I'll have to check again next time I see him.

He's not mine, so I can't take him anywhere, and if his parents think he's completely normal and their doctor says he is, what say do *I* have?

morkush

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 6:44 am
Can it be a sign of autisim? That's what I always thought...

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 4:02 pm
Do you have an update on this child? How is the physical development ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics