Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Five years old and recurrent urine infections

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 3:49 pm
I'm at my wits end. My daughter who is now five and a half keeps on getting urine infections. Urologist has outruled any physical problems. She had a vcug done twice. B"H everything is o.k. Her symptoms are that she has no control whatsoever and keeps on day wetting. The smell is also very very strong. Now she has all symptoms but now she does NOT have an infection. I tried bribing her with charts and prizes, I took it strict. Nothing seems to help. Ditropan does not help either. She has a terrible rash, which is being treated with a special antibiotic ointment prescribed by the dr. I'm starting to wonder if the wetting problem is causing the infections. Again right now the culture came back negative. If there is nothing medically wrong with her, my question to all of you is, "What can I do?" If the problem is behavioral how should I go about it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 3:57 pm
I dont want to sound harsh or anything, but these snptoms may be a sign of s-xual abuse. Try talking to her or your doctor so you can rule that out. It may also be loose bladder control my neighbors daughter was unable to hold in and was put on medication to help her stay dry.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 4:07 pm
As for the day wetting, I am sorry but I have nothing useful to offer, but as far as the UTI's here are a few ideas that help my kids (who do have VUR, the VCUG showed problems) and much of what you've said is familiar (harsh smell, etc,...)

1. try having your child drink some cranberry juice (diulted is ok) every day - it's not just a myth (according to my urologist), it helps balanced the acidity of the urine which makes it hard for bacteria to grow

2. make sure when she does use the batheroom, esp. for #2, she wipes front to back, otherwise she is introducing bacteria into the area.

3. Every morning (both my kids are still in diapers/pullups at night) I wipe them down with an antiseptic wipe (not baby wipe) to help kill what ever bacteria may be there from overnight wetting.

4. Also, my dd constantly got rashes in that area and after numerous attempts to treat it as diaper rash, then bacterial infections (with prescription meds) with not much success in the recurrence, it was diagnosed as chronic yeast infections (which ironically provide an ideal environment for bacteria to fester) - so now as soon as I see her tell-tale rash I begin with the cream cocktail of anti-funglas and cortizone then standard diaper rash cream to help keep her dry. We keep treating for 3 days once the skin in COMPLETELY clear and B"H they have become less and less frequent. We also changed her diet to avoid yeast enhancing foods and that also helped.

5. Ask your doctor for Chem Strips, then are by prescription but it is a way for you to test her urine at home before the craziness of doctors and cultures. It's the same test striip the Md uses. Chem 9 is best IMO b/c is also shows glucose and ph not just nitrites/blood.

6. I have found that strong smell is often (not always) caused by dehydration, even mild; unbalanced Ph, often urine that is too acidic, and high sugar levels.

Hatzlacha.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 4:13 pm
thanks for the information, She is also always thirsty. As for you who was thinking about abuse, She has a spastic bladder which has nothing to do with abuse.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 4:16 pm
NP, just a question if
Quote:
She is also always thirsty
and drinking enoughm have they tested her blood sugar levels?

e1234

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 3:11 am
have you ruled out urinary tract reflux?
my daughter had it as a baby and was on antibiotics straight for a few years but b'h outgrew it.

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 8:15 am
Quote:
have you ruled out urinary tract reflux?

OP said they've don e2 VCUG's and both were -ve, so it seems they have ruled out VUR aka. urinary tract reflux.

Just curiously, at what age did your dd outgrow it? Both my kids have it and I would love to know about the light at the end of the tunnel. you can pm me so we don't highjack this thread!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics