Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
WORK'G FROM HOME WITH INFANT
Previous  1  2  3  Next

willow

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 7:59 am
Queen what sort of work do you do?

Rivk

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 9:20 am
Queen - I think it's a great idea to have someone come to the house. It will only be for four to five hours - sounds ideal to me! When she gets older she won't even hafta nurse during that time or maybe only once. And you'll be there the whole time - just in a different room. Go for it!

raizy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 1:10 pm
queen I say work from home with your baby I agree with yael that a baby is not so hard to work around his her schudule. I find babies very easy as compared to a older child.

why waste babysitting money when u wont really be needing it... work when the baby is sleeping.

1stimer

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 3:08 pm
Queen, I work from home and I have done since my son was about 3 months. It was quite hard to work from home with a baby and no babysitter. It would take me all day to do only 2 hours work... !

However, it depends on a number of things: what type of work do you do? Can you do it while nursing? Does your baby sleep well? My son would only sleep for 20 minutes at a time (so that didn't give me much time for work!) Is your baby fussy, does she want to be held a lot?

Good luck!

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 3:15 pm
I also work from home and with a newborn it's much easier than with an older baby. Maybe just get a babysitter a couple days a week for a few hours each and see how that works. When the baby is older you might need to have a babysitter for longer hours.

1stimer

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 3:24 pm
great pic, meema. Btw, now that my son is older (15 months) I don't even attempt working while he is awake, but because he is more routined I can count of a good couple of hours work while he is napping and sleeping for the night.

happymom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 4:04 pm
for a baby to have a babysitter for 4 to five hour IS along time!! I dont understand why people think it isnt. Im sure to a baby it feels like most of the day.... I would onely say its not that bad if it were one or two hours... otherwise yes much better with the mother!

suomynona

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 5:52 am
I'm in a similar situation.
I'm starting to work again in about 3 weeks. My baby will be 8 weeks old.
I work full time from home on the computer. My hours are not that flexible, but I might be able to change them slightly. There are certain hours of the day that I must be working.
I want to try keeping my son home without any babysitter at the beginning. I'm just nervous that if it doesn't work out, I'll have to find a babysitter on a very short notice. At this point, the baby isn't on a schedule yet so I don't know exactly what it will be like.
As far as a babysitter, ideally I would love to have one in the house, but I think it will be too expensive. I have a big apartment so I don't think the babysitter would feel that I'm on top of her.
Any insights?

queen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 6:28 am
someone just suggested looking for a "grandmother" (slightly older woman/possibly not working.... and would enjoy getting out for a few hours a week) that she can hold and take care of baby while I work.

For those suggesting I work from home with infant, and no sitter is needed- you all must have been blessed with easy babies who basicaly eat and go right back to sleep. In my situation- until about a week ago, my baby was very fussy, not allowing me to get ANYTHING done at all. actually, just last Thursday I called my dh practically in tears, that's how hard of a day I was having with her.

What changed was that I began letting her cry (JUST A LITTLE!) in order to get her used to taking a morning nap. Now she usually sleeps for 2 hours in the morning giving me SOME relief. Some days are better when I don't need a sitter and I actually get work done. Other days I get nothing done and my dh takes care of her when he comes home from work that I can get my deadline work out in time.

I pushed off returning to work until baby was 7 weeks in the end, and playing it by ear. Right now I have not found anyone just yet..... so have moved the swing and the 'arch-mat' into my office for the time being. I'm just taking it day by day, bec. that's all I CAN do!

Last edited by queen on Sun, Jan 29 2006, 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total

queen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 6:33 am
suomynona-
I just wanted to tell you that you'll see a BIG difference when your baby hits 6 weeks. Just hang in there!
If any of your working hours are 'after school hours' maybe hire a mothers helper...

I personally looked into mothers helper, but they'd only get to me around 5pm.... which was too late.

1stimer

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 12:50 pm
Quote:
For those suggesting I work from home with infant, and no sitter is needed- you all must have been blessed with easy babies who basicaly eat and go right back to sleep.

I agree with you queen, those who suggested it either never did it or had exceptionally easy babies. It is very difficult and can be quite a stress esp. if you are working to deadlines. In any event, you absolutely should have a backup babysitter for days that things aren't getting done.

queen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 1:25 pm
[quote="1stimer"]
Quote:
you absolutely should have a backup babysitter for days that things aren't getting done.

that's a VERY good suggestion, thank you!
(now I have to find one!!!)

1stimer

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 2:19 pm
hmm, easier said than done, I am still looking for a backup babysitter for when my kid is sick and can't go to his day care...

MOM222

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 10:24 am
If you charge by the hour then working with the baby at home is tough.
If you charge by the project then it is easier because you can start and stop as many times as you need.

Try asking a neighbor who you know is anyway home with a toddler and might like some extra money - a few times a week.

queen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 3:02 am
I just wanted to give you all an update on what I ended up doing re: babysitting Sunny
I posted on a jewish community site that I was looking for a warm grandma, and someone responded!!!
She's a mother of many children and is only (on principal) watching my baby and 2 others. I send her four days a week for approx 4 hours each time.
she knows how to hold a crying baby (holding stomache) and doesn't get frazzled by a fussy/crying baby.
her daughters (single/working/living at home still) come home from work and help her with the kids.
she's flexable with the time, so I bring her as soon as she's had her nap, eaten and ready to go....

bH I am more than thrilled.
best part is she's a VERY special woman, (torah'dik wise)

so thank you all for your suggestions, they helped me sort out what I wanted to do......

1stimer

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 10:13 am
queen, I'm glad it worked out for you! a good babysitter is a gem!

queen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 1:09 pm
thanks 1st timer, I don't take forgranted how lucky blia'h we are to have found someone so fast and be so happy.

queenyemk

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 2:14 am
I just read through the postings, all seemed interesting and I tried them all months ago.
I am working from home for 10 hours a week for now, to get the organisation up and running re: database making.
I have a beautiful daughter who is now 8 months old. She is teething now, just starting to get mobile and constantly wants to be held.

I am having trouble finidng the 10 hours each week. Tatty is at work 11 - 7 and is exhausted when he gets home and wants the computer so after 7 out of the qn and is when I fiz up the house anyways. Thurs - Fri Shabbos prep, and now there is only 5 weeks to Pesach. I am at a loss of what to do and I need to make up on lost hours, that were paid for.

How do I time manage myself into finding the time.

Shoshy sleeps for 1.5 hours in the mid-morning then takes 2 1/2 - 45 min naps in the afternoon, but I just find myself relaxing or doig something else during this quite time.

How on earth do I get out of this mess???

Why previous advice you posted didn't work - stripped really bad for cash, can't afford a babysitter, and we really need this extra money I bring in so I don't want to quit + I can still use my computer skills.

Thankyou in advance for your help!

hisorerus

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 2:43 am
Split up the work time into 15-minute slots. "I'm going to work NOW for 15 minutes while Shoshy explores the educational value of the cereal smashing into the carpet." When 15 minutes are up (use the oven timer), clean up her mess while playing with her, and find her another occupation for 15 minutes.

Allow yourself to fully relax when you feed her, bring a book and a snack. Psyche yourself up to work while she naps, and promise yourself a fun treat when she wakes up.

Set an alarm on your computer for every 5 minutes, asking you if you're working or not!

In the morning, or the night before, write up a list of what needs to be done the following day (what you can reasonably expect) and split it up into short "chunks" of work. This way, you can safely work for 5 minutes, knowing that even if you get interrupted, you'll be able to get quickly back on track, plus you'll be having lots of little successes throughout the day.

Consider waking up 1/2 hour before your daughter and getting yourself into working mode before she wakes up. Get dressed, daven, start up the computer.

Save household tasks for while your husband is on the computer or Shoshy needs attention- my baby likes the sound of running water, so he'll sit in the stroller while I do the dishes. She can "help" you fold laundry while you sing to her and play mini-games with the clothes. As soon as you see her getting involved in an activity, get to work!

I'll try to follow some of my own advice. I also got a bunch of tips from flylady.net.

1stimer

Post Fri, Mar 03 2006, 2:49 am
Hi! I also work 10 hours a week from home.

10 hours a week, is 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Your daughter naps for at least 4 hours. So what's the problem? Just tell yourself that you will not do anything else until your two hours of work are done. You will still have 2 hours to yourself for messing around. My son naps for give or take 1 1/2 hours a day and I manage to do the 2 hours work, without working when he is awake. (most days, unless I'm sick and need to sleep when he is).

IMO it's all about motivation, and responsibility. If I give someone a commitment to work for 2 hours a day, I have no right not to work for them, unless a) I have asked to take off or b) I am sick.

Good luck.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics