Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Telling the boss . . .

When did you notify your boss about your pregnancy/leave plan?
at the same time.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
at different times.  
 100%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4

Shalshelet

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:25 pm
My boss is going away on business out of the country for about 2 wks. His last day at work will be tomorrow. I'm 5 months and don't yet have a plan written out. Should I wait till he returns to drop the news? The others in the department, I feel, have started to suspect. And I'm not sure how happy the higher-ups are about my quietness. However, my boss also appears to have his mind on finishing up whatever is on his plate before leaving.

I'm afraid that if I do tell, the other higher-ups will look for a replacement, or he'll be firm after considering the news before he comes back from his trip, and it won't allow for much negotiation towards my leave.

What did you end up doing for your maternity leave?
What do you recommend?

sky

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 4:11 pm
Do you work for a jewish company? IF not you should tell sooner then later, it is normally expected that you will tell at 3 months.
If you are in America you are entitled to leave. I forget exactly but I think they have to hold your job for you for 12 weeks but I think it could even be longer (this depends on how long you have worked for the company, how many employees there are, and how many hours you work)
In some states you get disability from the govt (like NJ)
Some companies pay for private disability insurance that pays you a % of your salary.
Some companies require to use all your vacation days during your maternity leave (mine did and it stinks)
All of this should be detailed in an employees handbook.
good luck

Shalshelet

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 7:04 pm
malkief wrote:
Do you work for a jewish company? IF not you should tell sooner then later, it is normally expected that you will tell at 3 months.

Yes I work for a jewish company, but not sure if they still expect me to tell acc to the rest of the world.

Quote:
If you are in America you are entitled to leave. I forget exactly but I think they have to hold your job for you for 12 weeks but I think it could even be longer (this depends on how long you have worked for the company, how many employees there are, and how many hours you work)
In some states you get disability from the govt (like NJ)
Some companies pay for private disability insurance that pays you a % of your salary.
Some companies require to use all your vacation days during your maternity leave (mine did and it stinks)
All of this should be detailed in an employees handbook.
good luck

Yes, I can get up to 12 wks unpaid w/6 on disability (unless they allow me to start my FML after the disability. Just hoping that I can use some of my vacation to help cover costs during that time and possibly allow me to stay out a few weeks longer. I am hoping to see if I can do a transition of working pt at first when I come back and work my way back to f.t.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics