Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What a mitzva! (Caring about animals to a ridiculous degree)

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:40 pm
I received this on an email list. I was tempted to reply and ask the person who wrote it how much time and money they have given to poor Jewish children. I apologize to animal lovers, but I find this quite sick - especially coming from someone Jewish.

I am not advocating ch"v being cruel to animals, but the way this is written, the efforts being put in to save what is only a cat, and the end of the post (to pray for its refua) make me feel ill. There are Jewish children here in Israel without enough food. There are Jewish children living in Sderot and having to run for cover every time there is an alarm. There are sick people without enough money for their medications, and people have enough to give a cat medical treatment for the rest of its life.

Quote:
MITZVAH: Special Needs Cat Must Find New Home - Urgent
Posted by: "J/Sherri" adamatova@gmail.com
Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm (PDT)
Hi,

Please forward this to someone you think could be a good candidate - or
to any group you belong to. Thank you.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Princess is a nine year old white and orange tabby calico mix now living
in Carmiel under very difficult conditions
and MUST be re-homed as soon as possible.

Here is some background. Two days ago, she was to be put down, I
convinced the mom not to - but
to give it one more week in which we'd try to find a solution and help
her with the physical/emotional problems
she was having.and has been eating the wrong diet for years and years
leading up to her current anorexic situation.
Her mom can no longer care for her as she has 4 others who constantly
pick on this cat.

Since speaking to her on Monday, the mom has taken back Princess from
the friend who was looking after her - as she no longer could do so.
Probiotics were ordered, Rescue Remedy was purchased and a change in
her diet was suggested - which she agreed to. Her eating has improved
and she no longer is vomiting. But her mom is adamant that Princess find
a new home....fast.

Here is her photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t.....1764/

We are optimistic that Princess ~will~ pull through. It could be that
she will require thyroid
medicine for the remainder of her life. A raw diet and supplements will
also be part of her routine.
With vet supervision and support from myself and the very many others
that are currently involved
in helping her from all over the globe, anyone taking this beautiful cat
will always have support and
guidance. With the right person and care she will live years more.
Princess will most definitely be the perfect companion
to someone seeking a loving lap cat who is just going through a rough
patch. We're hoping. Please keep her in
your prayers. And forward this request to as many people as you know.

Thanks.

Blessings,
joy sherri

For info - and daily updates -
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/g.....scue/
adamatova@gmail.com

HooRYou

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:46 pm
Is that the cat's owner that is being referred to as the mom? I find that weird as well.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:51 pm
HooRYou wrote:
Is that the cat's owner that is being referred to as the mom? I find that weird as well.

Right, I forgot about that bit. I thought she meant the cat's actual mother till I saw she had spoken to her "mom" shock

mandksima

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:58 pm
This almost sounds like a joke but I see it is not. I have a good friend who just loves animals to pieces and has quite a few in her home. She is the type to plan rescues for them. I just don't get it personally. I think something might be missing in the person's life that necessitates putting their energies into something that is uninvolved with people/social realm and extra involved with animals who are "safe and unconditionally loving." Healthy people in healthy relationships should be nice and caring to animals of course but realize that there is a priority to put our efforts and extra energies into helping people. There are too many worthwhile causes that need our help and to ignore them in favor of an animal I would think means they have issues with people and need this outlet to "get away."

ShiningThrough

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:59 pm
Shalhevet, I hear where you're coming from.
I've always been an animal lover, even became a vegetarian at a young age because I thought the animal/food industry was unjust. (I'm not anymore.) I think some people just have a naturally big and loving heart when it comes to animals and pets, but IMO it can be taken too far... to the point of being rediculous. I remember after the big tsunami many animal saving/protection committees were set up and I found it infuriating that at that time of crises there were good hearted folks focusing a lot of displaced attention on animals.
Nothing wrong with loving pets and animals... and I think humans trying to save the Rainforests and keep the planet ecologically safe and sound for human, plant and animal life to live in safe habitats and thrive is very important- but bottom line IMO, caring and loving is fair and good, but it can go too far when humans treat animals better that they treat eachother. Hashem cares for his creatures.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:20 am
I will keep her in my prayers... Rolling Eyes

mimivan

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:32 am
I was once urged to apologize to my SIL's "special needs dog" (she didn't use this term..I would as a euphemism for what I really want to call that vicious fur ball) because he jumped at my 2 year old son, scared him and he ran away.

She said, "My dog has feelings too. Your son reacted to my dog as if he were vicious when he's never bitten anyone in his life. Just as you don't want kids in your son's gan to shun him because he hit once, so my dog should be treated with the same consideration." (come on, if my 2 year old had huge meat-tearing teeth and lunged at a baby...oh one can't reason with people like this anyway)

I was so shocked I couldn't speak...

LOL Rolling Eyes

One thing is for sure, if she takes that kid/dog analogy that seriously, I feel bad for her kids...

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:40 am
Oy vey Mimivan. That's all I can say. Very, very sad. "The dog has feelings too, you know" Rolling Eyes

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 2:13 am
I know plenty of people whose pets are their kids. My boss, for example. She sends around an email every Feb. 14 inviting everyone to Ginger's birthday party, that goes something like this: "Please come to my party. Mommy bought me and everyone a yummy cake." Puke

Also, Ginger comes with Mommy to work every day and is the worst behaved dog you ever saw. But G-d forbid you make a nasty comment about Mommy's little baby. Rolling Eyes

mom2bsn

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 2:23 am
My inlaws are obsessed with their dog!!! which happens to be a big issue for me cuz im very allergic to dogs...every time we go over its a whole fight with them to put the dog away or send the dog to someones house...and then they spend the whole time saying poor dog stuck outside etc..Its their baby!!!! Its sad how an animal is more important to them than a person....which makes going over there very akward..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics