Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do I have to pay my housekeeper?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:11 am
I have a full time housekeeper and I am going away for a few weeks (rosh hashana until after succos) do I have to pay her for those weeks? Normally if I go away for a day or two I pay her for the full week. She is the first housekeeper of many that I like and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want to waste money.

Barbara

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
I have a full time housekeeper and I am going away for a few weeks (rosh hashana until after succos) do I have to pay her for those weeks? Normally if I go away for a day or two I pay her for the full week. She is the first housekeeper of many that I like and I don't want to lose her, but I also don't want to waste money.

Yes, you should pay her.

Have her come in a few days and do a deep, pre-Pesach style cleaning of the kitchen and living areas.

Jeanette

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:19 am
If she's not getting paid for two weeks and she relies on the income she may look for another job in the meantime. Maybe you can work something out with her that after you get back you will pay her a bonus of $x for the two weeks you missed.

Whether it's a waste of money or not depends on how badly you want to keep her. If you want a guarantee that she'll come back then it's money well spent IMO. Keeping workers happy is never a bad idea. So many employers never learn this. They're stingy to the penny and then they waste so much more money hiring and training new people every other month.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:33 am
Pay her half salary for the time you will be gone. This is what we do.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:34 am
Barbara wrote:
Yes, you should pay her.

Have her come in a few days and do a deep, pre-Pesach style cleaning of the kitchen and living areas.

When my friend who has a full time housekeeper (8:00am - 8:00 pm daily) goes on vacation, she has her housekeeper do just that (she also has pets that the housekeeper needs to care for). She doesn't get paid the same amount, but enough for her to live on. She also uses this time to give her a bonus: housekeepers deserve bonuses too! Furthermore, ask her to come help you pack, unpack, and prepare.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:41 am
I'd say yes unless you can find her other work (maybe a friend or neighbor could use extra help during these busy holiday weeks?). But she shouldn't miss out on her income because you go on vacation.

goforit

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:45 am
Maybe you can send her to a friend or relative that needs the help. Someone that needs temporarily, if they had a surgery or had a baby would be very happy to pay someone for a few weeks.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 10:57 am
Be very careful about having her work for someone else during that time. Once I went away for two weeks and found my housekeeper full time work with someone else- and that woman offered her a higher rate to stay with her, so I was forced to give her a raise to keep her. Not fun.

With another housekeeper I found her full time work with a neighbor's sister who was coming just for yt, but it turned out that she was not a very nice person at all and she made unreasonable demands. So my housekeeper told her she couldn't work for her, and she didn't get paid for those two weeks. I ended up paying her for part of it because I felt so bad.

What I usually do is what the other posters suggested- make a list of deep cleaning tasks for her to do that will take up part of the time that I'm away. I only pay for the hours that she works, but that's something I discussed with her and she agreed to the arrangement. She offers on her own to take unpaid vacation days on a semi regular basis so I know that she isn't counting on every penny.

You should definitely speak with your housekeeper to get an idea of what would make her happy.

granolamom

Post Tue, Sep 16 2014, 9:21 pm
I would pay her if I wanted to keep her
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics