Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
School calls that child doesn't feel well, WDYD?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:11 am
My daughter (10) is not a hypochondriac, but when she's in school, all of a sudden, she doesn't feel well, one way or another. Yesterday, an hour before school was over, the school called up to say that her stomach hurt. I didn't pick her up because she goes home by bus and there was an hour left to school. I also have other kids in the school. By the time, I would've gotten there, there would've been 1/2 hour left. By the time she got home, wow, all better, b"h. She did tell the school not to call.

So, my question is, even though most or all of you don't have children in school now, what do you do when the school calls that your child has a headache or stomachache or another ailment (not fever)? I know each child and each circumstance is different, and that's what I'm asking.

Emee

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:14 am
I usually ask the teacher what she thinks. My kids love school so generally if they are asking to come home it must be really bad. But I generally ask the teacher what she thinks and then go with her opinion since she has been with the child all day.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:15 am
Is there something "else" that is bothering her? Such as school-related anxieties either socially or academically?

If you say she's TOTALLY fine once she gets home, I would not pick her up if there's such a short time until the day is over but I would speak to her teachers to see if they think there's something else going on in the classroom or in the halls.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:20 am
My 9 yo had a lot of morning "I can't go to school" stomach aches last year when he was 8. We knew that he did not like the teacher, and as the year went on it was harder and harder for him to make himself go to school. We switched teachers for this year (the same teacher was continuing with his class for a second year) and he never complained.
You know your child better than anyone. Talk to her and try and figure out what the problem is.

Tila

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 2:18 pm
Being a teacher in a preschool class I really aprreciate when the caregiver comes to pick up a sick and unhappy child. First, there is chance that you are infecting others, second the moras cannot afford to get sick either, and three it takes the moras away from other kids in the class. Since this section is school aged, our school will send the child to the nurse and she is firm that we come and get the child regardless if we are in the middle of brain surgery or not. After a while the school gets to know who the hyprocondriacs are, and who is truely sick. They also know the parental situatuions as to who and how the pick up will be. In your case I am sure ther were no worries if you child stayed that extra hour.

cubbie

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 2:31 pm
I was one of those kids who cried sick with stomach aches, in the morning before school and during the school day. Unfortunately my parents (who are amazing and I am not critisizing for a minute) put it down to normal kid not wanting to be at school stuff and the teachers never mentioned it and always told me to go for a walk in the fresh air to feel better. I was a closed kid who didn't say anything to my parents and was stuck in a school that I hated with no friends from age 5 until I was 11, (that's the age you move to high school in England) when I found my voice and insisted that I was going to go to the school that all my friends were going to. My parents hadn't wanted to even apply there as the academic education there isn't great (and my family were very into academic achievement), but it was a tough battle that I won. Amazingly my stomach aches disappeared from that day on.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 3:28 pm
I asked her if there's something wrong besides her actual ache and she said, no. She in general doesn't like school, or so she says Wink .

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 3:31 pm
If there is one hour left to school then I wouldn't pick her up. I would also think twice about picking up a kid with a "headache" or "stomachache" that disappears when they leave the building. I think such kids can sometimes use a break from school and stay home a day here and there.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 3:38 pm
The funny thing is, she's home today because she is sick (fever) and she's bored Confused .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children