Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
High chair vs. hook-on-high chair vs. on-chair high chair

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:28 am
We live in an apt and are expecting our first, IY"H. Are there any advantages of a regular high chair over one that sits on a chair? Or over one that hooks onto a table? Which would you recommend?

sky

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:31 am
the on-chair high chair is nice because it does not take up extra room in the kitchen if space is limited.
Whatever you get make sure it is easy to clean (no crevices for food to hide. Imagine cleaning it for Pesach when you buy it because it has to be cleaned daily) and very stable.
ETA: You probably won't need one until your baby is about 6 - 7 months. In the beginning they can eat in their carseat until they can really sit up well (unless you get a highchair that can recline)

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:34 am
Yes! We have the healthy care booster seat. We love it! Never used a real high chair. It's very compact...you can take it with you when you travel. It even fit in the basket of our graco. It comes with 2 trays so you can make one milchig and one fleishig. (I know a lot of high chairs do but...) The whole thing is plastic so it's really easy to clean. I love it so much that I had my MIL buy 2 of them for her house. (for the other grandchildren)

I would say the only downside is that it takes up a chair so if you have a full house and not enough chairs...
But it doesn't take up table space like the ones that clip to the table.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.....=2002

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:35 am
oh and another nice thing...I got new trays for Pesach. Cost only a few dollars.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:37 am
high chair- I didn't have a lot of space in my apt when I bought my high chair, so I got one w/ a square bottom. The disadvantage of that, was that it didn't lean for a baby who can't sit yet.
hook-on high chair- your table has to be strong enough
booster seat- takes away a chair

Rebshosh

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:55 am
I also live in a small apt but I couldnt get an on chair high chair because when we have guests we need ALL the chairs and still want our son to be able to sit with us. I got a chicco high chair that folds up very thin - 9 inches. I can put it between the fridge and stove or in a closet. it also has seven height positions which is nice because depending on where you are sitting the baby can always be at your height. it also reclines in three postions so it can be used from 2-3 months.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:01 am
I have a booster seat on a chair that reclines for a newborn. I love it. the tray also has an insert so u can just remove that and wash it (until ur baby figures it out and makes both trays dirty!!) it has a cushion back so its not like the baby is laying on hard plastic. it says its good for 3 months to 4 years I think.

it is annyoying that it takes up a chair, but u can always put it on the floor if u need the chair. this was my only option b/c I dont have space for a regular one.

best part is that I paid like only 30 bucks for it.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:55 am
I have the booster that Benny's mom posted but I use that when the kids are bigger. If you don;t have room for a high chair, check this out. My sister has it. It's as supportive as a regular high chair but takes up less space because its on a chair:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.....43913

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:05 am
shopaholic wrote:
I have the booster that Benny's mom posted but I use that when the kids are bigger. If you don;t have room for a high chair, check this out. My sister has it. It's as supportive as a regular high chair but takes up less space because its on a chair:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.....43913

Shopaholic - do you think that the booster seat isn't as supportive?

I guess my main question here for everyone is - are there any CONS to getting these seats instead of a regular full-size high chair? We could store the high chair if necessary - and if it's any more supportive, comfortable for baby, easier to use, safer, etc, then we'd like to do that. But if it's exactly the same except that this one uses up a chair, then why not get this one? (We have no problem using up a chair.)

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:51 pm
I have one of each..

high chair:

pros:
separate place for baby, large tray, smaller mess on floor, adjustable heights mean you don't have to slouch if you're tall and can sit the chair at a table without tray when kid is old enough. does not take up an extra chair, so you can have one more guest over for a meal Smile

cons:
takes up space when open, may or may not fold as you would like (depending on model), may not be in your price range (I have a nice one for $60, but it doesn't fold very small) crumbs get into nooks easily

booster:

pros: compact, takes up no floor space, portable, usually easy to clean, may or may not have features like high chairs. some have adjustable heights and trays. many have dishwashable parts (my whole booster fits in the dishwasher, but the chair itself has been coated in milchigs and fleishigs, so I don't put it in the dishwasher).

cons:
takes up an extra chair, some are junky, may move a bit on the chair if the chair is not upholstered. the cheaper models don't all have rounded backs, so not good for beginning solids for many babies. child may get temporary marks on the back of his calves if the seat of the adult chair is deeper than the seat of the booster.

hang on chair:

pros:
fold nicely, great for travel/picnics, can be used for infant who still needs support if it's a sling-type seat. affordable, does not take up an extra chair, seems very comfy. child can access table, and there is likely to be less mess on the floor.

cons:

will only work on a table with no vertical ledge underneath. do not expect it to work on the average dining room table. if it is a cloth sling-type seat, it needs to be taken apart to wash, but they don't seem to need washing as often as a regular high chair. also should not be used on any table you feel to be unsteady. when using one, child has access to the table, silverware, food, etc, so expect a mess on the table, rather than the floor.

I use the high chair for my baby, the booster for my toddler, and have had the hang on in the trunk of our car for the past year and a half. it serves well when we go to parks with picnic tables, pizza shops, and has been used successfully on a few road trips. mine has a handy pocket behind the seat where I keep a wipe-clean bib, so I don't have to worry about having something when on the road.

if you just need one thing for one kid, I recommend a regular high chair. get one that folds small if space is an issue. I have been in the situation where the last dining chair was needed and the toddler sat on laps cause he didn't want to sit in the booster on the floor. best to have a place to put the baby at your level where s/he can see you while you eat. suppertime is more peaceful that way.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:18 pm
I had the perego high chair. It was very wide and hard to clean. The good thing about it was that it had a big tray so dc can play on it and I was able to shlep it all over the house. I was also able to make it in a laying or half laying position which was great. When I moved there was no room for a high chair so I got the seat that you put on a chair. I did a lot of research and found the best one-I think from Fisher Price. I love it and it has good support.

Atali

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:43 pm
I like the hook-on type. If you get the right type, it can work on a dining room table with a ledge underneath, and it is really nice for the baby to be able to join everyone else at the table.

I recommend putting a vinyl placemat under it so the tablecloth doesn't get dirty

Tova

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:46 pm
When my son turned 6-7 months and was ready for solids, I went through the same thinking... I really did not want a high chair as it takes up so much room, so I figured I'd get the booster chair and buy a high chair only if I saw I needed one.

We got The First Years one which is great (and you can use without the tray when the child is ready to sit at the table) for under $30 and so far it's doing the job wonderfully. I have no need to buy a high chair. It looks much more padded and higher-backed than the one displayed above, so it may be a good option for the OP.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:55 pm
I also have the healthy care booster for my baby. She's 14 mos now, kah, but when she started eating around 6-7 mos we used it. I also don't have much space in my kitchen for a whole high chair. I love the portability. I purchased it 3 pesachs ago for ds (now 3) to use for pesach, and then used it throughout the year for travel, fleishigs (bc the reg. high chair was milchig and I couldn't find replacement trays).

The next pesach, I just trashed the high chair bc it was impossible to clean and we were moving and I didn't want to take it anyways, and we just used the booster. DS moved on to reg. chair right before dd moved into the booster. I also purchased replacement trays online through their website for pesach use. IF the straps get icky, those can be replaced too for pesach. The rest is pretty easy to clean.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 4:35 am
We have one of each since we bought them used. The other useful thing about the booster that I don't think anyone is mentioned is that you can take it along to someone else's house since it's more portable. We've taken it along when we've eaten out.

We started out using the high chair. Then we had issues because our high chair doesn't have a seat belt, so we've been exclusively using the booster seat since ds tried to climb out of the highchair.

I wouldn't do the hook on the table thing if I can help it since ds grabs everything he can reach. We use the booster with the tray. Until he learns not grab everything off the table & keeps food on plates/in bowls, we will sticking to using the tray.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics