Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Coconut Milk
1  2  Next

viva

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 12:20 pm
It's a long story, but I've got about half a can of coconut milk sitting in my fridge. What do I do with it? I've heard that to make chicken tender, you soak it in some milk. Would this make my chicken taste good if I soaked it in coconut milk? What do I do with it then? Are there any good recipes for well, anything that uses coconut milk?

TIA

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 12:24 pm
Oftentimes I'll add it to stir fries or soups.

Thai curries often use coconut milk, I like making those, they're very good.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 12:39 pm
My son makes great fruit shakes: coconut milk, oj and whatever in the blender with some ice.

MRS.Mentsch

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 1:56 pm
I make Costa Rican Chicken with coconut milk. It is a huge hit every time I make it and it is super easy, no fuss.

Take a package of chicken (DH only eats chicken cutlets, so I use that, but any chicken will do)
1 large onion diced
1-2 peppers (I like to use yellow and green to make it colorful)
Osem chicken soup powder
1 can (or you can just use the half you have left) of coconut milk.
1 - 3 cloves of garlic
1 can of diced stewed tomatoes

Saute the peppers, onion and garlic in the pan, when they are soft add the chicken (you can even cut it to bite -size chunks if you'd like). When the chicken has been seared on either side, add the can of tomatoes and the coconut milk in, let simmer for about 20-30 minutes and add the chicken soup mix at the end to taste. Serve on top of rice. Enjoy!

viva

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 2:19 pm
Sounds great, Voyager. I'll have to try that this week!

dandelion

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 3:41 pm
bs"d

Hello ladies,

I'm new, this is my first post. We are BT, moving towards kashering our kitchen in the next few weeks, been working on replacing needed equipment, adding a second stove etc for a number of months. We are soooo, close, I can almost taste the kosher food.

Anyway, I've been heavily into alternative health and nutritional studies for over 25 years. My reading has led me to the many health benefits of all coconut products, provided harmful ingredients haven't altered them.

I'm not sure if canned coconut milk needs certification or not. I am checking with my rav, and CRC. I see the question isn't that clear here either. It's not too difficult to make one's own coconut milk, except that it is an extra step and sometimes that's just tooooo much. It certainly is for me most of the time, hence, my continued search for certified kosher canned coconut milk.

I thought I'd share an excellent book that informs not only on the benefits of coconut products, but is enlightening on the role of all sorts of fats in the diet, good and bad.

"Eat Fat, Lost Fat" by Mary Enig, Ph.d.

This book is informative whether or not one is trying to lose weight. There are also great recipes in there for coconut milk. Mary Enig informs us that prior to coconut oil being included in with hydrogenated fats in studies which linked saturated fats to heart disease, full fat coconut milk and coconut oil were mainstays in many kosher kitchens, due to the the delicious versatility of coconut products, and of course, it's pareve status.

Having shared all that, does ANYONE know where I can find kosher, full fat, coconut milk? Or...does coconut milk even need certification....? I imagine it does, because of the chances of contamination in the processing and canning of the product.

Thanks and good Shabbos to all,
Dandelion

Toot

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 3:52 pm
I think it does, and you're right, it is super hard to find. My mother and I use to pack our suitcases with it whenever we went to Israel. Now you can find it hear in certain kosher markets or aisles. Where do you live? Welcome, and mazal tov on your kitchen and kashrut endeavors!

Viva - You can use coconut milk instead of water to cook up rice or quinoa, it comes out extra rich and creamy. You can also use it in soups the same way.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 4:05 pm
According to kosherquest.org (Rabbi Eliezer Eidlitz), coconut does not need a hechsher, and can't come from China.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 4:17 pm
There is a kosher coconut milk. The company is Roland's but I don't think the cans are all kosher. There is a red one with an O.K. Here is what it looks like:

http://www6.ivenue.com/holonfo......ctlg

It's hard to find but many of the kosher markets do carry it from time to time.

Does anyone know how long coconut milk will stay good in the fridge? I never know how many days I have to use up what I don't finish from a can.

TziporahD

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 1:43 pm
When I was looking for a source online, I found these recipes.

#1) From whole coconut
1 coconut (shake the coconut to make sure it contains water)
1/2 cup warm water (for thick milk)
2 to 3 cups warm water (for thin milk)

Heat the coconut in a preheated oven (350 degrees F) for 10 minutes to crack the coconut. Remove the coconut from the oven (with pot holders!) and place it in a large metal bowl on the floor. Cover the bowl with a towel and hit the coconut with a hammer to break it completely open. More than one strike may be necessary. Remove the pieces of broken coconut from the bowl. Strain the coconut water that is released through a coffee filter to remove any fibers, and set aside. Separate the coconut meat from the shell, using a dull knife to pry them apart if necessary.

Remove the brown skin from the coconut meat with a vegetable peeler and grate the meat in a food processor.

To make the thick milk, put the gratings into cheesecloth or a clean white dish towel and hold the ends together. Soak the wrapped gratings in 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl for a few minutes. Firmly squeeze the gratings over the bowl. About 3/4 cup of thick milk will be obtained. A less efficient method of making thick coconut milk is to put the grated coconut in a sieve, wet it with warm water, and press out the milk with a spoon.

Thin milk is made by soaking the same wrapped gratings in 2 to 3 cups of warm water and repeating the squeezing procedure. (Use the reserved coconut water and bring the volume to 2 to 3 cups with warm water.) A thick, rich milk is produced from the first squeezing of the gratings; a thinner milk is derived from a second round of squeezing.

#2) From packaged, pre-grated coconut
Ingredients:
2 cups water
2 cups dried unsweetened shredded or grated coconut

Boil 2 cups of water. Put coconut in blender and add water. Pulse several times then blend for 30 seconds. Set aside for 10 minutes. Pour mixture through a strainer, chinois, or cheesecloth. You can pour up to another two cups of water through if needed. Press the coconut to extract remaining liquid.

dandelion

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 8:06 pm
BS"D

Thanks for the coconut milk recipe, and the cograts on the kosher kitchen. It has made a huge difference in my family, so glad we finally (re) did that. I have lots of coconut I could make coconut milk with. I was concerned that making it myself would produce a lot of waste...

I tried Rolands with certification. It's hard to find, not always available, and I think I might be allergic to the preservatives. If I remember correctly, there were sulfites in it. I didn't feel well after making rice pudding and chocolate pudding with it. It was delicious though.

I tried to eat mostly organic before going kosher...giving that up, which is necessary for one to have any array of choices in the Midwest, was difficult for me. I still eye the Thai brand of coconut milk enviously....

Another seemingly impossible thing to find kosher is Cod Liver Oil. Not Fish Oil...Cod Liver Oil, in bottles, not in capsules....not that I found it in capsules either. (sigh) HKB"H is just going to have to keep my brain healthy without it....

Last edited by dandelion on Mon, Apr 12 2010, 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 9:29 pm
check out a big store like whole foods. I have gotten mine there.

dandelion

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 1:21 am
BS"D

What brand have you found at Whole Foods?? I've looked and couldn't find anything, but maybe I missed something.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:20 am
It's a green can; I have it at home. PM me if I forget to get back to you.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:23 am
dandelion wrote:
BS"D

Thanks for the coconut milk recipe, and the cograts on the kosher kitchen. It has made a huge difference in my family, so glad we finally (re) did that. I have lots of coconut I could make coconut milk with. I was concerned that making it myself would produce a lot of waste...

I tried Rolands with certification. It's hard to find, not always available, and I think I might be allergic to the preservatives. If I remember correctly, there were sulfites in it. I didn't feel well after making rice pudding and chocolate pudding with it. It was delicious though.

I tried to eat mostly organic before going kosher...giving that up, which is necessary for one to have any array of choices in the Midwest, was difficult for me. I still eye the Thai brand of coconut milk enviously....

Another seemingly impossible thing to find kosher is Cod Liver Oil. Not Fish Oil...Cod Liver Oil, in bottles, not in capsules....not that I found it in capsules either. (sigh) HKB"H is just going to have to keep my brain healthy without it....

I would check health food stores. The one near me has a lot of kosher stuff. Where do you live?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:27 am
I haven't even been able to find cans with a hechsher at Seven Mile Market in Baltimore. I've looked at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc.

The only time I ever saw coconut milk with a hechsher was when I was at a Thai restaurant in Florida and noticed their canned food in the hallway. I believe they had Roland's brand with a hechsher. That's why I go according to the kosherquest.org list, b/c I can't find any hechshered coconut milk here.

Mannys613

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 11:43 am
Hi Defy - I found Roland brand in Seven Mile but I load up on it because it's not always there.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 1:03 pm
Here, Blue Dragon's coconut milk (regular or light. Organic is milky) is on KLBD list (though without hechsher). I think I've seen other brands in kosher stores. I recall most are made in Thailand or Phillippines.

daisy

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:02 pm
The only kind I've seen with a hechsher is the green can from Whole Foods (also forgot the brand). It has a heart-K on it. I also heard via the CRC that it doesn't need a hechsher as long as it's not from China.

dandelion

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 7:06 pm
daisy wrote:
The only kind I've seen with a hechsher is the green can from Whole Foods (also forgot the brand). It has a heart-K on it. I also heard via the CRC that it doesn't need a hechsher as long as it's not from China.

I'll ask my rabbi about that. So, Thai Kitchens might be okay then, if it's really from Thailand I mean. One of my rabbis works for CRC.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals