Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Hashem doesn't give you more than you can handle"
Previous  1  2  3

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 9:10 am
Well my father a"h was an Auschwitz prisoner in 1943...

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:19 am
Maybe inside we are stronger than we know ourselves to be? Knowing some people I love who have had very hard lives I sometimes wonder about that. I imagine that God knows the limit to our strength but we don't?

someoneoutthere

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:26 pm
If I wanted to I could come up with a whole list of things that have happened- from churban beis hamikdash to gezeiros tach vtat- that seem to be more than can be handled. The idea is that if I believe it's coming from G-d, and I believe He actually takes care of each and every detail (Hashgocho Protis), then no matter how hard it is, there is a degree of comfort that He's taking care.

That said, there is a concept of "Lama harei'osa la'am haze"- Moshe complains to Hashem (end of parshas shemos) Why have You done bad to this nation? Why have you made things difficult for them?
In chassidus it's explained that this is a legitamite complaint when things seem unbearable. Yes, G-d is Good and does good. Yes, He's taking care of every detail, and yes, He's only giving me what (potentially) I can handle.
But, like Moshe, we can come to Him with a complaint. You, Hashem, who is and does good, send us revealed good. Lama harei'osa? Why make it so bad?

I think that's the most comforting thing I heard while going through my share of tzoros. If it's all up to Him, complain to Him. Tell Hashem you're not handling.

The "ein hkb"h ba btrunia im briosav" (the original of the statement Hashem doesn't give more than you can handle) is something that comes as part of the package, along with the belief in Hashgocho Protis and that if we've got a complaint- tell it to G-d.

my $0.10

pacifier

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 1:12 pm
HAshem doesn't give more than one can handle doesn't mean that one should do nothing, one still has to handle the situation. now Hashem gives us a free will and made a nature, we are not allowed to rely on miracles even if Hashem does send miracles.

One cannot say I'll stay in bed and Hashem will do everything, he won't send me anything I can't handle...
one still has to breath, feed themselves, get a parnassa (even people who would say I'll not work for parnassa and hashem will take care of me because "he doesn't send anything......" they still have to get food and money, only instead of working for it, they beg for it) and the same way, one cannot say I won't go to the doctor when I'm sick or I won't take bc because if I can't handle it hashem won't send me more kids.

We do have to do our hishtadlout, but we must remember, everything that Hashem does is for the best, and we cannot understand the cheshbonot of Hashem.

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 10:58 am
someoneoutthere wrote:
The "ein hkb"h ba btrunia im briosav" (the original of the statement Hashem doesn't give more than you can handle) is something that comes as part of the package, along with the belief in Hashgocho Protis and that if we've got a complaint- tell it to G-d.

The translation of the Gemara you quote is more like Hashem doesn't come with complaints to His creatures.

the Gemara says, "lefum gamla shichna" - according to the camel, is the load.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics