Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Over staying a visit...

mugsisme

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 1:07 pm
A friend came to visit yesterday (Shabbos) at 2. She left at 7 when we went to a shiur. I hinted several times around 4 how tired I was and how I hoped to get a nap in before the shiur, but she didn't get the hint.

WWYD?

red sea

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 1:10 pm
Make a mental note for next time that understanding subtelty is not this guests strong suit & say to her "I am so glad you came to visit, its been great but now I am kicking you out cuz I must get some sleep, please come again"

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 1:13 pm
I agree and have been accused of this very statement at times embarrassed you have to be assertive question is how, and my answer is if they don't get it the first and second time nicely, then you have to be blunt by the third Wink

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 1:32 pm
You need to be direct but nice,

"now is a not a good time",

"Thanks so much for coming. ok, I need to spend the next few min, or hours doing x"

(resting, getting ready for something, feeining the kids),

"oh I wish I had more time to visit, but I really need to do x right now"

Thanks so much for spending time with me, I think I had better get to doing X, do you think we could take up this visit later?"

"Oh, I just realized I have to do x, do you think we could visit again next week/tomorrow"

Remember, if you are not direct, it may be HARD for her to leave because she doesn't know how to say it either, this happened to me a few weeks ago, I was at someone house and asked, ok, so do you think this is not a good time and she kept saying no, it's ok, and I really did not know how to leave, althoguh I could see she was a bitharries with me there and doing what she had to do, now I realize I should have been direct and said ok, I need to go, but with her saying it ok stay so many times I felt a bit stuck..."

The point is don't try to be nice and go over your limit, it won't feel good to her eeither, she will probably be able to tell.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 1:32 pm
You need to be direct but nice,

"now is a not a good time",

"Thanks so much for coming. ok, I need to spend the next few min, or hours doing x"

(resting, getting ready for something, feeining the kids),

"oh I wish I had more time to visit, but I really need to do x right now"

Thanks so much for spending time with me, I think I had better get to doing X, do you think we could take up this visit later?"

"Oh, I just realized I have to do x, do you think we could visit again next week/tomorrow"

Remember, if you are not direct, it may be HARD for her to leave because she doesn't know how to say it either, this happened to me a few weeks ago, I was at someone house and asked, ok, so do you think this is not a good time and she kept saying no, it's ok, and I really did not know how to leave, althoguh I could see she was a bitharries with me there and doing what she had to do, now I realize I should have been direct and said ok, I need to go, but with her saying it ok stay so many times I felt a bit stuck..."

The point is don't try to be nice and go over your limit, it won't feel good to her eeither, she will probably be able to tell.

justanothermother

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 1:54 pm
If directness doesn't work, try saying things twice Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette