Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Taking a one year old biking

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:39 pm
My husband and I have been waiting and waiting for DD to be old enough to go in a seat on the back of a bicycle, so that we can get back into biking again. I read on this website that at one year, it's generally safe to take a child on a bike.

Being that she just turned one, we went to a bicycle store today to pick up a seat for her. The woman in the store kind of confused me though. At first she said that according to the law, you're really supposed to wait until the child is a year and a half, but she was wishy washy about the whole thing, and she said that one years old is probably ok too, so now I'm confused.

Does anyone else have experience taking kids biking? At what age did you start? Would it be safe to take a one year old? Is there any particular seat you'd recommend?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with this.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:50 pm
I don't know much about child/baby seats on bicycles but I have seen one that attaches in the front so you could keep a closer watch on the baby. Someone in my building has it.
What type of setting will you be biking in?

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:56 pm
We're in Brooklyn, so we'd probably do most of our biking on Ocean Parkway, or in Prospect Park.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 4:50 pm
Anyone else know anything about this?

myfriends715

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 6:43 pm
I like the idea of the seat in front better.. our friends have it and then she can see the baby.. the trailer idea I really dislike cuz you cant see whats going on and she is getting all the dust u r blowing on her

Rebshosh

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 7:13 pm
I have never done it, but my father is very into biking and started taking all of us kids when we were one. I remember my younger siblings being in there from the time they could sit up well, maybe even 9 months. He prob shouldn't have done that I guess.... I think if you put a helmet on her it is safe, we all were bh, and we sat in the back. you could also get a bike trailer which is even safer bc it cant tip over, or at least it is harder to tip over.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics