Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Id to fly

BLUEROSE

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:18 pm
I am flying to Florida with my little boys ages 5 and 7. What id do they need to fly? They dont have passports.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:21 pm
If they are flying with you (or any adult) they dont need anything. (Assuming you are in the US.)

costanza

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:49 pm
I don't think that is true.

They should have passports, or a birth certificate at a minimum.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:51 pm
Under 18 with an adult, does not need id. When a child is flying alone, as an unaccompanied minor they do need their birth certificate. A photo state id also is good.

We just flew with our dd and a friends dd. We didnt need any id for either girl.
Overseas or even to Canada is a different story. Then you do need a passport.

Strawberry

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 5:15 pm
I flew with my ds and on the way there they insisted that he needed a birth certificate. On the way back they didn't even ask for it What . So I guess you don't need it but I would bring along documents just to be safe.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 6:33 pm
Strawberry wrote:
I flew with my ds and on the way there they insisted that he needed a birth certificate. On the way back they didn't even ask for it What . So I guess you don't need it but I would bring along documents just to be safe.

Was your son under two and sitting on your lap? Often they will ask for birth certificate for this reason (to make sure you're not trying to get away with holding an older child in your lap for free).

But as far as I know on domestic flights kids over 2 with their own seats do not need any I.d. But why not call the airline and check to be sure?

Strawberry

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 6:38 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Strawberry wrote:

Was your son under two and sitting on your lap? Often they will ask for birth certificate for this reason (to make sure you're not trying to get away with holding an older child in your lap for free).

But as far as I know on domestic flights kids over 2 with their own seats do not need any I.d. But why not call the airline and check to be sure?

Yup. I didn't know that. It's just interesting that it was TSA that insisted on it and only one way.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 6:41 pm
Strawberry wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:
Strawberry wrote:

Yup. I didn't know that. It's just interesting that it was TSA that insisted on it and only one way.

They tell you to bring a birth cert. for child under 2 but usually dont even ask to see it. I've flown a few times already and they never asked for it.

elf123

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 6:43 pm

I have flown several times in the last few years from NY/NJ to Fla. and back, with children ranging in age from under 1 to 9. (The youngest sat in my lap on a few of those occasions.) I was definitely never asked for any kind of I.d. for my children. I can't imagine that the airlines have different policies about this--isn't all this stuff federally regulated now? But I agree with the previous poster...if you are really worried, just call ahead and ask the airline!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics