Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Should I be concerned about this "music"?
Previous  1  2

costanza

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 11:09 am
If he's really interested in secular music and you want to guide him in the right direction, let me know. I'm a HUGE music fan and think there are great artisits out there who are brilliant and can provide both enjoyment and food for thought through their lyrics.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 10:08 pm
micfri wrote:
If he's really interested in secular music and you want to guide him in the right direction, let me know. I'm a HUGE music fan and think there are great artisits out there who are brilliant and can provide both enjoyment and food for thought through their lyrics.

Thank you Micfri. That is very kind of you. If you want, you can mention a couple here, though I'm not sure I'll actually recommend them to my son. Rather for my own knowlege, so I'll know what's good and what's bad out there. His friends are seriously into music and I really believe that they listen to this stuff more for the music than the lyrics, but it's not good for my son.

I'm a totally clueless Bais Yaakov girl. Listening to that KISS made me so sad. Oy what a terrible golus.

Justanothermother thank you for the links. That was very helpful.

Thank you everyone for your input.

What do you all say about Pink Floyd?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 11:18 pm
Love Pink Floyd.

Eric Clapton, Sting... good stuff.

leomom

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 1:23 am
Pink Floyd lyrics

Well, they're a world away from KISS... "real" music with words that mean something (felt meaningful to me when I was a teen, but then I did not grow up frum). But only you can decide how to deal with secular music in general, at this stage.

Mrs.Norris

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 8:36 am
love Pink Floyd! I would say classic rock like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton ... arn't really something to worry about much, a lot of people listen to them because they're interested in music rather than being rebelious. Personally I was brought up on this kind of music so it was never an issue in my house.

bashinda

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 12:51 pm
The problem with Pink Floyd is a lot of Roger Waters songs are somewhat negative and angsty but at least they're better written. Dark Side of the Moon is safe (well besides for a lady screaming at some point which is now in my head. oh goody) but the Wall is really negative and so is Animals. The post Waters albums in the '80s or maybe '90s (have no clue really as I stopped listening in the early '90s) is much more mellow and even keeled.

OT: in one of Chaim Dalfin's books he talks about going to somebody's house to fundraise and he ended up meeting one of the members of PF (most likely Waters). Having listened to PF a lot in high school I found that really amusing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children