Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
1  2  Next

Toot

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 10:45 pm
So in an attempt to be a little healthier, I bought my first bag of whole wheat flour. I know I'll use it for challah, but I wanted to try substituting it my usual recipes and see if it worked. These chocolate chip cookies just came out of the oven, and they are great!

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, softened - Yes, I know, still not that healthy...
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (generous)
12 oz. chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 375ºF.
Beat sugars and margarine until combined, add the vanilla and egg.
Add flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff).
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 10:53 pm
I use ww a lot. I make ww oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Last edited by flowerpower on Mon, Jul 14 2008, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

sunshine!

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 10:56 pm
MorahS wrote:
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine, softened - Yes, I know, still not that healthy...

You can use smart balance margarine, it is a bit less bad fat...

This sounds yummy, thanks for posting!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 10:58 pm
I also put in some oil instead of some marg.

Toot

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 11:08 pm
flowerpower - I hate using oil in cookies, they come out much more greasy and hard to handle. How do you do it? Could you post the oatmeal cookie recipe? I'm on a roll tonight!

sunshine - Does the Smart Balance come in sticks? Does it have the same consistency as margarine?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 11:10 pm
I use the recipe on the back cover of the oatmeal container and just switch it to oil and oatmeal cookies. The oatmea makes it not so runny.

miichal

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:22 am
smart balance doesnt come in sticks, at least I havent found any, it is also very salty, and you have to watch out, some of the packages are marked OUD, there is another brand called earth balance that sells buttery sticks, not salty, parve, delicious, great sub. for marg and butter, here in california we can get it at whole foods, I dunno about other places

Pizza

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 3:14 am
I like chewy and soft cookies, we often subsititute applesauce for 1/2 the margarine
People also say to refrigerate oil and use it once its solidified, I havent tried it yet.

Toot

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 8:49 am
Thanks so much miichal, I'll check out Trader Joe's today and see if they have anything.

ruthanne

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 3:00 pm
miichal wrote:
smart balance doesnt come in sticks, at least I havent found any, it is also very salty, and you have to watch out, some of the packages are marked OUD, there is another brand called earth balance that sells buttery sticks, not salty, parve, delicious, great sub. for marg and butter, here in california we can get it at whole foods, I dunno about other places

Smart balance does come in sticks and I use it all the time in baking and have never noticed a difference to regular marg.

Toot

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 3:05 pm
I just got Earth Balance today, I'll keep everyone posted!

ruthanne

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 3:11 pm
ruthanne wrote:
miichal wrote:

Smart balance does come in sticks and I use it all the time in baking and have never noticed a difference to regular marg.

Sorry, my apologies, just checked and its Earth Balance. Hadn't realised there was a difference!

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 3:21 pm
Subsitute mayonaisse. (Its only oil and eggs anyhow...) Many people find this suggestion to be weird, but when they realize what mayonaisse is made out of....then they come over to our side! Smile

It really is an amazing subsitute for margarine, much much healthier and its not runny like plain oil.

Please give it a try before you "knock it". Wink

SZ mother

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 11:51 pm
Not sure if this belong, but I will take this oportunity:
Did u ever try the Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies??

I would like a recipe just the same thing as these cookies, I have never tasted it, but the idea of having these little dough balls n the freezer, and just baking when needed, the smell, the looks, oy vey!
Thank g-d they are OUD - a no no no for me, if not I would be eating them like no tomorrow....

Please post with instructions please, I have never made cookies in my life.

Toot

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 11:57 pm
In the kitchen wrote:
Subsitute mayonaisse. (Its only oil and eggs anyhow...) Many people find this suggestion to be weird, but when they realize what mayonaisse is made out of....then they come over to our side! Smile

It really is an amazing subsitute for margarine, much much healthier and its not runny like plain oil.

Please give it a try before you "knock it". Wink

Intriguing... how exactly does the substitution work?

In the kitchen

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:35 pm
I substitute it one for one...I use the same measurement the recipe asks of margarine just replacing it with mayonaisse. Now for more fancy confections you might have to tweak around a bit but I have not yet been dissappointed with the results. Plus none of that very very bad for you hydrogenated fat.

It also helps if you are the type who makes bulk and freezes, the mayonaisse improves the texture when taken out of the freezer...it doesn't freeze as solid. Wink

Toot

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:42 pm
I'll have to give it a shot. Do you use full fat mayo, or does lite work?

In the kitchen

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 1:47 pm
I have only tried full fat, regular mayo.

Toot

Post Fri, Jul 25 2008, 10:57 am
Just tried these again with Earth balance, and they came out the same! Yea! Stay tuned for the mayo experiment, next time...

Rikkip

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 9:36 pm
Want to bump this. I just found it and decided to give it a try.
I dunno why someone would make ww with reg sugar. It kinda defeats the purpose so I adapted it.
I did ww with xylitol instead of the sugar. Reg brown sugar(anybody know of a substitute?) And applesauce instead of the marg.
I also added a cup of rice crispies cause I like the crunch.
I baked it for 10 min although if u want it crispy bake for 12-13.
Yields abt 3 dozen small to medium cookies.

They came out really good for what they contain. Njoy!

Last edited by Rikkip on Tue, Nov 04 2014, 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins