Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3 16  17  18 20  21  22  Next

sky

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 6:02 am
amother wrote:
a pot from mil for my bday

some pots are expensive. My DH buys me pots for birthdays, chanuka and anniversaries.
I have gotten a 12 quart stock pot, a heavy frying pan, a grill pan, and challah baking pans.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 9:18 am
When we got married, a couple gave us a cheap-looking challah cover and the tag inside said, "from the Bat Mitzva of ...". The husband of the couple had been a physician for years.

My boss's wife once bought a "Chanukah goblet"--just one--and gave it to her husband to give to me for the holiday. What does a person do with one goblet? It's the kind of thing you buy at the seasonal display at the end of the aisle.

GramaNewYork

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 9:21 am
sky wrote:
amother wrote:

some pots are expensive. My DH buys me pots for birthdays, chanuka and anniversaries.
I have gotten a 12 quart stock pot, a heavy frying pan, a grill pan, and challah baking pans.

Not sure if the point is that it could be an expensive gift. I think the point is it is not a personal birthday gift (unless you LOVE to cook and you mil knew what you wanted). My mil gives me stuff that she gets for free.

gem

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 1:15 pm
A few years ago I got a tube of toothpaste as a birthday gift.

shiffycc

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 1:19 pm
gem wrote:

No way!!?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 1:40 pm
MIL gave me a tiny, velvet address book. (First page says A with a bunch of blank lines, next page says B with a bunch of blank lines.)

She gave it to me for Chanukah.

She then gave me a duplicate for my birthday.

And then another one when I moved.

(Along the way, I saw them in the discount store near her home for 1.97)

chavaih

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 1:45 pm
Weirdest gift ever was a dressing up nurses uniform found on the bed in our hotel room after our wedding apparently a gift from friends.

bet that takes the biscuit!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 1:51 pm
chavaih wrote:
Weirdest gift ever was a dressing up nurses uniform found on the bed in our hotel room after our wedding apparently a gift from friends.

In tht vein, dh and I heard pounding on the door of the cheder yichud and tried to ignore it.
when it idn't stop, he went to answer. One of his yeshiva acquaintances handed him a gift wrapped box. He tore off a bit of the paper and was shocked to find...a tube of ky jelly. To this day, we have no idea why he didn't wait another 20 mins and just give it to us then....?

eschaya

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 2:21 pm
For dd's 8th birthday, she got a "global warming" mug, where when you add hot liquids to the mug, current vulnerable landmasses disappear. Dh and I think it's adorable... but for an adult with a mature sense of humor. Dd didn't even know what global warming was! But she does love the mug...

spring13

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 2:33 pm
My ILs got me this tapestry blanket poncho thing. It has a celtic design on it which is why they thought I'd like it, and if it didnt have a hole in the middle it would be fab just as a throw blanket for the couch. As apparel, it's horrifying.

busydev

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 2:43 pm
GramaNewYork wrote:
sky wrote:
amother wrote:

Not sure if the point is that it could be an expensive gift. I think the point is it is not a personal birthday gift (unless you LOVE to cook and you mil knew what you wanted). My mil gives me stuff that she gets for free.

but hey shes giving you a gift. LOL my mil doesnt believe in bday gifts (for her kids, kidsIL, or grandkids) doesnt believe in chanuka gifts either... in fact only time shes gives gifts is for siblings when they have a new baby sibling and also gives $$ when a new baby is born which is VERY appreciated.

canadamom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
chavaih wrote:

In tht vein, dh and I heard pounding on the door of the cheder yichud and tried to ignore it.
when it idn't stop, he went to answer. One of his yeshiva acquaintances handed him a gift wrapped box. He tore off a bit of the paper and was shocked to find...a tube of ky jelly. To this day, we have no idea why he didn't wait another 20 mins and just give it to us then....?

that is just disturbing!!???

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
chavaih wrote:

I guess he thought you needed it then. embarrassed

Happy18

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
chavaih wrote:

Was this guy married at the time?? This is one of the strangest and most inappropriate gifts I've ever heard of.

forever21

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 5:25 pm
I was complaining to DH once that we had no good bath towels in the house so what does he get me for my bday present? yup, 2 towels! See how practical men are? And no, they werent personalized with my name on it.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 6:10 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:
chavaih wrote:

I guess he thought you needed it then. embarrassed

That's what we figured...but seriously? Nobody needs it then...at least I hpe not!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 6:14 pm
Happy18 wrote:
amother wrote:
chavaih wrote:

Was this guy married at the time?? This is one of the strangest and most inappropriate gifts I've ever heard of.

Yep! He was married. But he wasn't even a close friend. It was super weird, but honestly, we got married in E"Y, and the cost of ky jelly there was a lot. So it turned out to be a very, um... valuable gift!
Im only amother cuz I think dh would be embarassed...

gem

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 7:05 pm
shiffycc wrote:
gem wrote:

No way!!?

Yep, no joke! lol. I would have been insulted except it was a gift from an elderly woman who rarely left her house. It was still a very strange gift, though! Of all the things she could have gotten for me at the drugstore, she chose the toothpaste. Still makes me laugh when I think about it!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2012, 7:50 pm
Big,no HUGE grass scissors from MIL😳

amother

Post Tue, Dec 04 2012, 1:08 am
My MIL always brings me calendars from previous years. Pretty pictures she tells me... I also get those stickers from the easter seal that they get in the mail. Oh and stationary that has her name on it but since she we have the same last name I could cross it out. Oh and I once got a letter opener that said 2001 and this was about 2 years ago... And I got the bag of the potatoes (not the potatoes..) scrunched up. She said it is the best cleaning sponge ever!!! Should I go on??? I could not make this up if I tried...
These are gifts I get because we live overseas and she brings them (yes in her suitcase...) and I have to be overly appreciative or else....
Page 17 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 16  17  18 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics